Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
As someone who is based in Jakarta, I'm very disappointed in the mileage earning chart FINALLY posted on AA.com. I regularly fly CGK-BKK and no difficulties when was with Star A purchasing relatively cheap mileage earning tickets. This is going to make it difficult

My question: If I purchase the lower Y fare, can I get advanced seat selection as an Emerald free?
I think the seats are available for selection irrespective of any status. I haven't used their website so I don't know.
Remember just about a year ago, SQ never gave anyone any miles on their lowest booking classes (except now on Krisflyer only)... and TG still doesn't for their cheap fares in V and W class. And MH fares seem to be lower than these two anyway!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Have we forgotten that CX doesn't even give us anything other than if booked on YHB ?
Or even RJ?
Earning on RJ isn't as bad as it used to be https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...lJordanian.jsp
Back in 2009, we got nothing for our RJ flights in 'L' booking class
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:54 pm
SK

Lightbulb

Just out of curiosity, I checked the ticket price for those fare bases that would earn miles on Malaysia Airlines (MH), using ita.
Based on aa.com's mileage earning table for MH, the LAX-NRT fares for travel 3/13-20 are:

Earning 0% base miles:
Q: $774
O: -
N: $832

Earning 50% base miles:
S: $882
V: $982
L: $1,082

Earning 70% base miles:
M: $1,182
K: $1,282

Earning 100% base miles:
H: $1,432
B: $1,582
Y: $1,832

So, for $108 more than the non-earning fare basis, you can get 50% base miles, which is not that bad a deal.

Originally Posted by kingarthur
Just searched a couple random days in March for LAX - NRT. Round trip prices:

MH = $774
AA = $1433
JL = $1440

This probably explains why there is no mileage earning potential for deep discount fares or code-sharing on this route.

It also presents some difficult decisions for loyalty-based flyers. $660 is a big savings!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:38 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
So far, this pathetic airline thinks it's among the same level as the other prestigious Asian carriers like SQ, by implementing pathetic mile earning chart and the refusal to allow F awards. Please, go look at yourself in the mirror MH. You are nowhere near CX or JL, let alone SQ. Take your snobby attitude to shove it. As far as I am concerned, MH should be expunged from Oneworld immediately.
Have you tried to get a SQ First Class Award Seat using UA Miles or most other Star Members Points/Miles. Even CX and JL First Class AAwards are a challange.

Now can anybody link me to the advice on aa.com about NO First Class MH Awards.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat,UA Premier Gold
currency change to USD

I want to purchase a ticket originating from India from the airline website. Is there any way to charge my credit card USD rather than INR?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:25 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by charismony
I want to purchase a ticket originating from India from the airline website. Is there any way to charge my credit card USD rather than INR?
Your Credit Card will be charged in the currency of Country of Ticket Origination

Last edited by UncleDude; Feb 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
As someone who tries to fly at lowest fares, I looked to see how MH compared with the miles earned in the lower fare classes on other OW airlines. At least they are better than CX (0%!) or AB and S7 (25%).

For full miles you need to fly BA, AY, IB (from USA), LAN, or RJ.

100%: BA, AY, IB (from US/Puerto Rico/Mexico), LAN, RJ
80%: IB (other)
70%: JL
50%: MH, JL deepest discount, QF, RJ deepest discount
25%: AB, S7
0%: CX, MH deepest discount
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Earning on RJ isn't as bad as it used to be https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...lJordanian.jsp
Back in 2009, we got nothing for our RJ flights in 'L' booking class
Seriously - RJ's earning isn't bad at all. And it seems most of the RJ flights that show up when booking on AA.com are always in eligible fare classes.

Originally Posted by charismony
Have you looked for the same itinerary on US-based booking sites like expedia/orbitz/cheapoair/etc? They'll charge in USD, but often have different availability.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nbevan
As someone who tries to fly at lowest fares, I looked to see how MH compared with the miles earned in the lower fare classes on other OW airlines. At least they are better than CX (0%!) or AB and S7 (25%).

For full miles you need to fly BA, AY, IB (from USA), LAN, or RJ.

100%: BA, AY, IB (from US/Puerto Rico/Mexico), LAN, RJ
80%: IB (other)
70%: JL
50%: MH, JL deepest discount, QF, RJ deepest discount
25%: AB, S7
0%: CX, MH deepest discount
Does anyone know why CX is particularly stingy, even moreso than MH? I don't get it - why even be in the alliance if so very few of your tickets will earn reciprocal miles. I know I know, who cares about us poor Y pax, but still!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Does anyone know why CX is particularly stingy, even moreso than MH? I don't get it - why even be in the alliance if so very few of your tickets will earn reciprocal miles. I know I know, who cares about us poor Y pax, but still!
There is more to the alliance than baubles of FF miles
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I think the seats are available for selection irrespective of any status. I haven't used their website so I don't know.
Remember just about a year ago, SQ never gave anyone any miles on their lowest booking classes (except now on Krisflyer only)... and TG still doesn't for their cheap fares in V and W class. And MH fares seem to be lower than these two anyway!
They do allow seat selection on their website, but rows to the front and exit rows are charged an additional fee. I tried a dummy booking, and it charged me with my AA number added. I was wandering if anyone knew if we called, can we get the seats assigned without the charge. Or,is it going to be more like JAL, no seat assignment for the lowest classes.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
They do allow seat selection on their website, but rows to the front and exit rows are charged an additional fee. I tried a dummy booking, and it charged me with my AA number added. I was wandering if anyone knew if we called, can we get the seats assigned without the charge. Or,is it going to be more like JAL, no seat assignment for the lowest classes.
Exit rows I know are only assigned at the airport.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:15 pm

Just confirming that inventory is appearing for OneWorld explorer awards. The agent didn't see it immediately but backtracked through the notes about Malaysia coming on board and was able to add it to my itinerary.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Exit rows I know are only assigned at the airport.

There were available to pick, for a fee about 6 USD. I just tried another dummy booking, CGK-KUL-BKK, and again exit rows were available for a fee.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by sellouts
Just confirming that inventory is appearing for OneWorld explorer awards. The agent didn't see it immediately but backtracked through the notes about Malaysia coming on board and was able to add it to my itinerary.
^

I had an award flight on hold for later this year, wanted to got to HKT but could only book NYC-HGK-BKK. (J Cabin) Needed to pay by tonight. When I called I was able to change it to HKG-KUL on CX and hop over to HKT on MH. Agent was very competent and personable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.