Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirborneLocksmith
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82” / 208 cm of pitch and 36” width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6’ 8” bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex [Link does not work]
Link to Steve Case's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75” pitch, 26” wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Thank you! Couldn't find this thread.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I've booked round trip DFW-LHR. 77W both ways. (50 and 81) Flew this route before in J a few years ago. This time, I'm going to try out the "mini cabin" forward of L2 for both legs. 3J on the outbound. 3A on the return. I think boarding will be a lot more peaceful, with just 16 seats forward of L2.

reading the Wiki, I see that row 3 only has a single window available. I suppose that's fine. Any other issues to know of, like over head bin storage?
Originally Posted by jcatman
1. The "air handler" can seem noisy in the mini-cabin. Use the noise-cancelling headphones.

2. There's TONS of storage in the overhead bin.

3. One window should be fine.
Originally Posted by rjlon
Exactly points I was going to make. The air noise surprised me as everyone said how quiet the mini cabin was.
Originally Posted by Hengilas
The 'air handler' is annoying to the point that I won't book the mini cabin anymore.
we'll see how it goes. Not flying until September. 50 is an early overnight flight and 81 a day time flight. If the outbound flight winds up being annoying with noise, I can try to get a seat back in the main J cabin.

So, I did my trip.

The mini-cabin was great. Love being forward of L2. So calm during boarding. The air handler WAS noisy. But really, it was only an issue on the ground. Once pushed and the engines fired up, it didn't seem to be any noisier than other parts of the plane. Especially with noise canceling headsets on. As was suggested, TONS of overhead space. Basically, a full bin just for me. Which was WAY more space than needed. Plenty of excess space.

Two great flights. Good service. No issues at all about being "forgotten" in the mini cabin.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
So, I did my trip.

The mini-cabin was great. Love being forward of L2. So calm during boarding. The air handler WAS noisy. But really, it was only an issue on the ground. Once pushed and the engines fired up, it didn't seem to be any noisier than other parts of the plane. Especially with noise canceling headsets on. As was suggested, TONS of overhead space. Basically, a full bin just for me. Which was WAY more space than needed. Plenty of excess space.

Two great flights. Good service. No issues at all about being "forgotten" in the mini cabin.
Love the mini-cabin. The good ole Bose headsets handle the cabin/air handler noise well, and I never once felt forgotten.

If anything, I felt that I got a higher level of service there. There were no carts--everything was hand-delivered from the galley as if I were in F. Also, FAs from F would pass by and collect/refill my glasses on occasion. I think I even got some F champagne.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I can't sit in the mini-cabin because of galley noise, even from row 3 (the galley is right behind row 4). AA FA's almost seem mandated to make as much noise as possible - slamming carts, chatting endlessly, etc. It really makes the journey quite miserable for me, and noise-cancelling headphones does nothing but exacerbate the noise (quieter cabin white noise but louder voices/slams). In-ear headphones do the trick, but I hate sleeping with them in.

I prefer the middle of the main J cabin much more for this reason. Same reason why I would honestly probably take J in the main cabin over 1G in F.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I can't sit in the mini-cabin because of galley noise, even from row 3 (the galley is right behind row 4). AA FA's almost seem mandated to make as much noise as possible - slamming carts, chatting endlessly, etc. It really makes the journey quite miserable for me, and noise-cancelling headphones does nothing but exacerbate the noise (quieter cabin white noise but louder voices/slams). In-ear headphones do the trick, but I hate sleeping with them in.

I prefer the middle of the main J cabin much more for this reason. Same reason why I would honestly probably take J in the main cabin over 1G in F.
Interesting. I didn't notice any galley noise on my SYD-LAX flight earlier this year (I was in 3J). I managed to sleep for nine hours and had no issues watching movies and reading.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by callmedtop

Nope, not a problem for me at all in 4A.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Mini cabin

HI all
Going to fly the AA 77W for the first time.
LHR-DFW and LAX-LHR.
Booked into 3J/4J out (day flight) and 3D/G on way back (night flight).
Thoughts the window views might be good on the day flight and not much to see on the way back.
I noticed the replies regarding the issue with the Galley behind the mini cabin.
My concern was more about the toilets behind row 4. Do they cause any smell discomfort for the passengers in row 4- if you get my meaning since we had a very bad experience in economy on EK once a long time ago being sat next to the toilets!!!!
Any thoughts on if these seats are ok or would people recommend changing them to the bigger business cabin?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Dselvan
HI all
LHR-DFW and LAX-LHR.
Thoughts the window views might be good on the day flight and not much to see on the way back.
I noticed the replies regarding the issue with the Galley behind the mini cabin.
My concern was more about the toilets behind row 4. Do they cause any smell discomfort for the passengers in row 4- if you get my meaning since we had a very bad experience in economy on EK once a long time ago being sat next to the toilets!!!!
Any thoughts on if these seats are ok or would people recommend changing them to the bigger business cabin?
I sat in 4A DFW-LHR earlier this year and don't recall any issues at all (including galley noise/light, lav, or dreaded air handler people complain about).
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I sat in 4A DFW-LHR earlier this year and don't recall any issues at all (including galley noise/light, lav, or dreaded air handler people complain about).
Air vents are a bit loud on the ground but once in air, not bad. Never have had issues with the lav.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dselvan
HI all
LHR-DFW and LAX-LHR.
3A is a good seat, but there is a small closet built into the foot area of 3A, and that is used by a flight attendant to store his/her personal belongings. But, that did not bother me. There is also very little foot traffic through the mini cabin. I would not pick any seat in row 4 due to the galley being right behind it. The bathroom is right after the galley, so it should not be an issue.

As for seats in the main business class area, most seats are fine, but I don't like the heavy foot traffic. Therefore, I prefer row 3.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Question

Is the 77W the only AA aircraft that offers the snack bar set-up in J on TATL flights?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
Other aircraft like the 787 also have a snack bar. Snacks are still put out in a less elaborate arrangement (or at least the 332 I took had a small arrangement).
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Perdita
Is the 77W the only AA aircraft that offers the snack bar set-up in J on TATL flights?
Yet to fly a 2 class 772 but the blurb I got from Dallas said the snack bars were rolling out on refitted 777's, and 767's. So I believe they are on 772's as well as 77W's. No idea about Airbuses.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:07 am

Probably will burn a couple SWU to upgrade to F for wife and I. F Cabin is currently wide open. Where would you sit as a couple?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jrb CO
Probably will burn a couple SWU to upgrade to F for wife and I. F Cabin is currently wide open. Where would you sit as a couple?
Across an aisle from each other is easier, IMO, as I don’t recall the Center seats friendly to conversation,require the use of separate aisles and bins, if each has carryons. For us it’s easier to use the same aisle, same bin, etc. and as I usually have to administer medication inflight that’s definitely easier for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.