Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirborneLocksmith
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82” / 208 cm of pitch and 36” width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6’ 8” bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex [Link does not work]
Link to Steve Case's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75” pitch, 26” wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by econometrics
Did AA make some changes to the J seats on some 77W's recently?

I flew N729AN LHR-DFW the other day, and the storage area where the Bose headphones are (and are plugged into the IFE) did not have the door on it any more.

The retractable armrest was also thinner than other 77W's I had been on recently, it seemed.
There are a few aircraft where the seat features are as described above. Not necessarily new, just a couple that are a tiny bit "different". I think it's just 1 or 2 planes.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Was the curtain (and I think there's a "velvet rope" too, no?) closed and snapped into place? If that's the case, it actually takes some effort to use the "wrong" lavatory given how the curtain is angled. I find the rear J lavs get less use in general because many J pax don't know they're back there.
And I wonder if having the PE cabin changed anything in terms of Y pax being less likely to walk through to use those 2 lavs. Is there even any type of curtain between Y and PE?
I saw no curtain between PE and regular economy but AA is not selling it as PE at present. The curtains between business and economy were in place but no one seemed to be having any trouble navigating them. AA are not positioning PE as a new class of travel unlike BA, it is seen as an add on option like Main Cabin Extra except Elites do not get it for free. Not in favor of it myself, Coach is fine for daytime if I need to work. Get an exit row, open up the MacBook Air and next thing I know the desert is running out, Ontario Airport is down below and we are starting descent (slight exaggeration perhaps). Overnight flight is different, need sleep so it is business or first. Now as a small business I make my own travel policy but for folks who can spend any amount on travel as long as it is economy, PE works, so whatever...

Back to your point, it is a Bathroom after all. Unlike some carriers they do not offer different service levels in bathrooms like showers etc. A bathroom is a bathroom, so I would not expect them to make much fuss. The security announcement about using the bathroom in your ticketed cabin is to stop people milling about and causing a security threat on the aircraft rather than protecting the bathroom habits of different pax. Interestingly I have found Business Bathrooms are often the most disgusting with wet floors, toilet paper and tissues etc on the floor. First is always nicer but I suspect they clean that if a pax is not toilet trained and coach just does not seem to get so abused. Anyway cannot say Bathrooms are a big part of my flying experience. Hope that helps
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by rjlon
AA are not positioning PE as a new class of travel unlike BA, it is seen as an add on option like Main Cabin Extra except Elites do not get it for free.
That's not true. PE is absolutely its own class of travel. AA are simply waiting until all 77W are fitted with PE cabins/seats (late June) before activating it from a sales & service standpoint.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by asf-07
That's not true. PE is absolutely its own class of travel. AA are simply waiting until all 77W are fitted with PE cabins/seats (late June) before activating it from a sales & service standpoint.
Not according to what I was told by an AA agent. AA operates 3 classes of service on its 777 300 ER equipment, First Class, Business Class and Economy. Economy is being subdivided further to offer Basic Economy, Regular Economy, Economy with Preferred or Main Cabin Extra Seating and Premium Economy. The fare class will be equivalent with the Joint Business Partners across the Atlantic and the Pacific but unlike BA it is not a separate class of service. Upgrades from Coach continue to be to Business Class and Premium Economy will not be available as an upgrade (at least initially). Unlike MCE it derives extra revenue from Elite Frequent Flyers and it regularises the fare options across Carriers. Where BA have been selling it into corporate clients who have cut back on Business Class travel, AA seem to be positioning it as having a slightly more upmarket Coach experience. Still coach though. I am intrigued whether Basic Economy will work for them on international. American have a history of offering a better coach experience, with more room throughout Coach and more recently MCE which Elites receive complimentary. Interesting how Premium Economy will work and whether they will end up offering that to Elites on miles upgrade or complimentary basis. CK's will remain comped to rows 1 and 2 no doubt.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:06 pm

Not according to what I was told by an AA agent. AA operates 3 classes of service on its 777 300 ER equipment, First Class, Business Class and Economy. Economy is being subdivided further to offer Basic Economy, Regular Economy, Economy with Preferred or Main Cabin Extra Seating and Premium Economy. The fare class will be equivalent with the Joint Business Partners across the Atlantic and the Pacific but unlike BA it is not a separate class of service. Upgrades from Coach continue to be to Business Class and Premium Economy will not be available as an upgrade (at least initially). Unlike MCE it derives extra revenue from Elite Frequent Flyers and it regularises the fare options across Carriers. Where BA have been selling it into corporate clients who have cut back on Business Class travel, AA seem to be positioning it as having a slightly more upmarket Coach experience. Still coach though. I am intrigued whether Basic Economy will work for them on international. American have a history of offering a better coach experience, with more room throughout Coach and more recently MCE which Elites receive complimentary. Interesting how Premium Economy will work and whether they will end up offering that to Elites on miles upgrade or complimentary basis. CK's will remain comped to rows 1 and 2 no doubt.
Sorry - what you were told is wrong. It is its own class of service and is being sold as such for travel starting in late June.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by asf-07
Sorry - what you were told is wrong. It is its own class of service and is being sold as such for travel starting in late June.
I think people like to race to disprove others.

Currently, AA does not have a PE class, they have seats which is installed, but is being treated like Y until all aircraft are redone and all have PE then it will be its own class. My FA friend said that service training for PE starts the end of May. As many bloggers have written PE will be basically domestic (non transcon) service.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse

Currently, AA does not have a PE class, they have seats which is installed, but is being treated like Y until all aircraft are redone and all have PE then it will be its own class. My FA friend said that service training for PE starts the end of May. As many bloggers have written PE will be basically domestic (non transcon) service.
which is essentially what I said before the poster pushed back saying they heard something different from AA staff, and I followed up. but by all means, this was a race to disprove them. or maybe you were in a race to call me out.

Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse

Just to be clear, AA currently does not offer PE as a separate class of service on the 77W routes, until the whole fleet in converted. AA does offer PE as a separate class of service on the 789 international routes, for example, and has for some time.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Just to be clear, AA currently does not offer PE as a separate class of service on the 77W routes, until the whole fleet in converted. AA does offer PE as a separate class of service on the 789 international routes, for example, and has for some time.
Oh dear what a storm in a teacup. The whole discussion is one of Semantics. Premium Economy is a form of Economy. When it is made available on 777 300ER and 777 200 routes it will be a separate set of fare classes. May be it is slightly more interesting than who you uses which bathrooms but there are many more things like the tremendous improvement in IFE on recent refits. Who remembers not so log ago, the Video 8 Recorder with little tapes to choose from in a basket? I thought they were so cool I bought one of them myself for airlines like BA which did not have them. Very rare for me to use IFE as I carry a blu ray drive with my Macbook and a selection of movies. Really enjoyed a Japanese film in HD on the reasonable size screen. Perhaps slightly less contentious.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

On a recent trip I noticed flights from LAX now depart from multiple terminals. This was good news as I found Terminal 5 whilst lack the Flagship Lounge has much better facilities generally than Terminal 4. What I found confusing is that some HNL flights leave from T4, some from T5 and some switch depending on day. Does anyone know if there are any plans to segregate flights by Terminal so a traveller will have a reasonable idea which Terminal the flight will go from? It was quite a surprise seeing Hawaiian flights in T5 as well. Does this herald some co-operation again I wonder?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Oh dear what a storm in a teacup. The whole discussion is one of Semantics. Premium Economy is a form of Economy. When it is made available on 777 300ER and 777 200 routes it will be a separate set of fare classes. May be it is slightly more interesting than who you uses which bathrooms but there are many more things like the tremendous improvement in IFE on recent refits. Who remembers not so log ago, the Video 8 Recorder with little tapes to choose from in a basket? I thought they were so cool I bought one of them myself for airlines like BA which did not have them. Very rare for me to use IFE as I carry a blu ray drive with my Macbook and a selection of movies. Really enjoyed a Japanese film in HD on the reasonable size screen. Perhaps slightly less contentious.
Well, we can agree to disagree. If I receive a larger seat, more pitch, a business class entrée, improved drinks, an amity kit, a better pillow and blanket, and noise reducing headsets vs. all that is offered in Economy, I deem it not just another fare class.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Well, we can agree to disagree. If I receive a larger seat, more pitch, a business class entrée, improved drinks, an amity kit, a better pillow and blanket, and noise reducing headsets vs. all that is offered in Economy, I deem it not just another fare class.
Fair enough. On long haul flights nowadays I have a single discriminator, can I lie down and sleep? If I can it is a Premium Cabin, if not then it is not. Obviously for short haul flights the requirements are different but I fly very very few short haul flights. I do not drink alcohol, I do not eat meat so I often carry my own tasty treats, I have my own Macbook and Bose Qc35 bluetooth headphones, cupboard full of First Class Pajama Sets that I did not use etc. For me it is about space and lying down. So AA scores big in First and Business as its current offerings are very very good. I think that those who want the things PE offers will find that too to be a very good offering.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Just flew 77W MIA-LHR-MIA and found that when the seat was flat there seemed to be a height difference between the back and the seat so that when I laid down, there was a drop which was very uncomfortable. Am I the only one who finds this uncomfortable? Thanks....
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I read in an earlier post that row 5 has a window missing but I couldn’t verify this from the 360 degree video which I found in another post on this thread.

Can anyone confirm for me please?

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I read in an earlier post that row 5 has a window missing but I couldn’t verify this from the 360 degree video which I found in another post on this thread.

Can anyone confirm for me please?

Thanks
I sat in 5A on this aircraft and, unfortunately, I can confirm that there was only one window.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.