Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirborneLocksmith
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82” / 208 cm of pitch and 36” width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6’ 8” bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex [Link does not work]
Link to Steve Case's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75” pitch, 26” wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Seat is better and AA are more reliable than IB. 77W is much newer than old 346. It is also shorter route. Only downside is Heathrow Airport. Always ATC delays but you will not have to endure the long immigration wait just Security and long bus ride to Terminal 5. So you will arrive in CDG earlier but you will have to clear Immigration and Customs at CDG. I would choose the AA flight every time.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by rjlon
Seat is better and AA are more reliable than IB. 77W is much newer than old 346. It is also shorter route. Only downside is Heathrow Airport. Always ATC delays but you will not have to endure the long immigration wait just Security and long bus ride to Terminal 5. So you will arrive in CDG earlier but you will have to clear Immigration and Customs at CDG. I would choose the AA flight every time.
Perfect! Thanks for the confirmation...I'm glad I jumped on it!
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
This is going to be subjective. AA business has improved with flat bed seats but there is still a big difference between F and J particularly on Long Overnight flights such as LAX-LHR.

I would definitely use it because:

LAX has Flagship First Class check in and security

The seats are longer which at 6'5" means I can fully stretch not just fit (Better than BA business which I cannot use because it is so short). The F seat has much more space and width too. There is also a turn down service with mattress cover, comforter and pillows which the flight attendants will do for you when you wish.

The catering is enhanced. Whilst most Entrees are shared with Business, the way they are cooked and served is much more personalized. The appetizers, the beverage choice, the wines selection are much better and F has an expresso machine so you can get Expressos, lattes and other real coffee drinks.

I also find the cabin a bit quieter particularly the first row and would always select a window seat.

So my experience is a much better night's sleep particularly on the later flight which will mean less jet lag and a better trip. Now if you are not tall and are not bothered about the catering and carry your own pillows etc you may decide not to.

For me the Overnight flights are the worst and I always upgrade if I can. Westbound daytime particularly if I have work to do I have flown the front row in MCE LHR-LAX with no problem. I say this to show for me it is a value call not just always wanting to get everything I can. Others will disagree.
Thanks, great comments. I'm always torn between the early flight (more fun time in London) and getting a nights sleep (which is only so-so even on the late flight).
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
AA B777-300ER - which seats have "blind windows"

On almost every plane are window seats where in fact there is no window but merely a piece of wall.

On the AA 77W, which seats are those? I'll be flying in J and absolutely want to avoid these seats, I find them very claustrophobic.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
On almost every plane are window seats where in fact there is no window but merely a piece of wall.

On the AA 77W, which seats are those? I'll be flying in J and absolutely want to avoid these seats, I find them very claustrophobic.
We always recommend searching for an existing thread on a popular topic prior to starting a new thread on it. This helps prevent information fragmentation and respects members who have taken the time and made the effort to share their experience and knowledge.

Please take a moment and read the Wikipost at the top of this thread.

Thank you,

/Moderator
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by JDiver
We always recommend searching for an existing thread on a popular topic prior to starting a new thread on it. This helps prevent information fragmentation and respects members who have taken the time and made the effort to share their experience and knowledge.

Please take a moment and read the Wikipost at the top of this thread.

Thank you,

/Moderator
Apologies. I typically follow the forums of European airlines and there we don't have Wikis that are as detailed and well documented as the ones hre on the AA forum. Hence I didn't expect to find the information.

Thanks a lot, this is great stuff. Compliments to the forum posters for such an informative forum ^
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I know it's a bit late for the specific query that was answer, but I don't really agree. IB is extremely reliable, certainly not less than AA or for that matter BA. IB planes feel very new (in this case, the person you answered was on an A332 which were delivered largely synchronically with AA's 77Ws) and I find the IB seats excellent, many as good as the AA 77W (different seats in the IB cabin have different feel before of the staggered layout). Food and drink are of much higher quality on IB, lounges are better, transfer much easier and only involves reclearing security in the US -> CDG direction but not the other way round. I'd personally choose IB over AA.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
So I wanted to get people's thoughts, I just upgrade to First from business class, and the first cabin is wide open. What are people's thoughts on the best seat, I am flying from LHR to DFW, solo traveler, right now I have selected 2A.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
02A is the best seat in the house and my number one choice on the equipment
Enjoy
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IsleSeat
Enjoy
If you are a solo traveler, agree that 2A is the best seat. 2D would be second, reason being is that you have to wait a little longer to deplane.

Also the bathroom on the A side is bigger than the D side
IsleSeat likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Great, sounds like I lucked out and made the correct choice.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IsleSeat
Enjoy
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
If you are a solo traveler, agree that 2A is the best seat. 2D would be second, reason being is that you have to wait a little longer to deplane.

Also the bathroom on the A side is bigger than the D side
My experience has been (more than once) that 2A is the favored seat for FAMs due the straight line view of the flight deck door. I've been booted from there more than once. The first time I had no idea what happened; the second time I figured it out and it's been 2J for me ever since as a first choice.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Whats the thoughts on LAX LHR 77w Firsts or A380 J? I can use my SWU on AA or book BA J?
I don't have good luck using my SWU on other tries so Its open on my dates and a good way to burn them. I've not been on BA metal in a long while. Thx
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by grbauctions
Whats the thoughts on LAX LHR 77w Firsts or A380 J? I can use my SWU on AA or book BA J?
I don't have good luck using my SWU on other tries so Its open on my dates and a good way to burn them. I've not been on BA metal in a long while. Thx
Yuck. BA J seats are terrible, a lot worse than AA 77W J or even AA 787 J seats. BA is basically in a forward-backward 2-4-2 arrangement. When you open your eyes, you can easily stare at the passenger next to (across from) you, which is creepy if you're not traveling with a loved one. Service, on the other hand, may be a bit better on BA.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Flew LHR-LAX in 15A in December. Loved the design of the seat, itself (& I barely even noticed there were other people in the cabin), but could hear the toilet flush every time someone used it. I was a last-minute SWU, so didn't have a choice of seats. There is, however, a slight error in the wiki for this row. The Main cabin lavs are ONLY behind the D/G seats. The lavs behind the A/J seats are actually for the Biz cabin, only (the mesh curtain separates down the aisle of the interior/exterior lavs), so they aren't quite as busy. I had full choice of food and drink, BTW, on this flight with nothing running out.

I'm now confirmed Biz on LAX-LHR redeye in April. Nearly every seat is available, including 3J. I'm currently booked into 6J. I've read all of the pros/cons here of Row 3. I like the idea of the mini cabin and actually sleep with a fan on at home, so maybe the "fan noise" won't be bothersome. Also, since it will be dark for most of the flight (except during landing in the a.m.), I don't care about 1 vs. 2 windows.

A friend did mention that there have been a few times when she was in Row 3, and was moved when a crew member wanted those seats. Has this happened to anyone here?

Are there any cons to 6J? Didn't see any comments pro or con in either SeatGuru or the wiki, here.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.