Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 15, 20, 11:32 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82” / 208 cm of pitch and 36” width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6’ 8” bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75” pitch, 26” wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 18, 13, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, AMEX Platinum, Priority Pass
I am booked in 5J on AA 100 on Tuesday night. I'll post a full report about my seat and experience here after my flight.
Old Mar 19, 13, 1:52 am

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....
i have decided to now go in the mini cabin on daytime flight, then larger cabin for night flight.
Thanks guys, hope all what you said about how not the best it is at night was true!
Old Mar 21, 13, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, AC, SPG Plat
A better mini-cabin experience...

Originally Posted by lalakrsfan View Post
On AA51 on 3/20 on the return, still waiting on upgrade to clear. If given the option I'll try the mini cabin on the flight and we will see if the service is better with a more experienced FA crew.
Thanks to an EF seat alert minutes before boarding, I was able to move from row 12 to 4G in the mini cabin on AA51 yesterday. All in all a MUCH better experience than the AA 100 flight. This FA crew was more familiar with the 77W than the first-timers on my AA100 flight, but more importantly this crew went out of their way to provide fantastic service, making for the best AA flight I've ever had!

One little story to share that made the flight even more memorable...During the second meal I asked for a glass of Malbec, but the FA told me they had run out. I said no problem and took a glass of the other red they had and forgot about it. Then, shortly before landing the same FA came over and apologized, saying sorry that she "lied" to me and that she had found an unopened bottle of the Malbec when putting everything away. She then handed me the bottle and said please accept this bottle along with my apology. A small but very unexpected gesture!

From a noise perspective, I did notice a bit more galley noise in row 4 vs. row 3, but my NC headphones took care any issues with no problem. All in all my faith has been restored that the mini-cabin offers the best J seat experience.

A couple minor complaints about an otherwise great new IFE. First, the headphone jack is a 3-prong style that includes power for the Bose NC headphones they supply in-flight. Great idea so the headphones don't require batteries/recharging, bad idea if you want to use your own headphones. I could only get sound through one ear when I tried mine as I didn't have my old 2-prong adapter in my bag as I can't remember the last time I needed it. I look forward to someone testing this out to see if a 2-prong adapter works with this new system.

The other issue is the options for video input so I can watch movies from my iPad on the larger display if I choose. One option is a component video (RCA-style jacks) input, which was once an industry standard but requires two separate adapters for my iPad mini if I wanted to use this. Don't understand why they didn't just an HDMI port here instead.

The other option is proprietary Panasonic eXport port that looks like the old S-Video style plug. In fact, until I read this post from aadvantagegeek, I thought it was an S-Video port because its not labeled. This port enables you have control over your Apple i-device through the touch screen IFE, which would be at best a nice-to-have but not something I would go spend $40 on another cable adapter just to use on these planes. Besides, I don't want anymore cables to carry around, I have too many already! Besides, there is not an adapter available (yet?) for the new lightning port on the iPhone 5, iPad mini, etc. The on-board instructions for all of these ports on in the help menu of the IFE. They aren't very detailed in explaining how to use these ports and could be improved. Even better would be if AA would provide adapters on board for biz class passengers to use during the flight.
Old Mar 21, 13, 6:17 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Flew the reconfigured staggared seats (1-2-1) on a 777-300 ANA in J. Seat 21 A.

Excellent hard product, lots of storage, no need to stow evrything during take off and landing.

Service a bit spotty due to language difficulty. Overall will recommend.
Old Mar 22, 13, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Related question:

Has anybody had ANY luck at all finding Z award seats on ANY of the 77W-operated flights? I am dying to try out the new F seats/experience and have called AA repeatedly, spending quite a bit of time with EXP agents, hunting for Z inventory, and there just doesn't seem to be anything available for this summer on JFK-LHR, DFW-LHR, or DFW-GRU. (I have the summer off, so I can travel basically anytime.) Only AAnytime is available, nothing MileSAAver.

Granted, we knew award inventory would be less available since there are fewer seats in the cabin, but aren't EXPs supposed to have access to "exclusive award inventory" that the EXP Desk can make available?

Or am I looking too soon? Is there too much hype with the new planes, and within a few months availability will go back to normal?

(Note: Yes, there is plenty of Z availability on BA-operated flights. I have tried BA F on the 744 and, despite the amazing service, I frankly found the cabin rather cramped compared to AA's Flagship Suite. Also, the BA YQ is highway robbery.)
Old Mar 22, 13, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
There seems to be something going on with both award and upgrade inventory. I've seen ZUC available on AA 78/79 but not AA 50/51 for a number of dates in November. This is despite J/F seat maps being totally empty on 50/51. No expanded EXP inventory either. Hoping it sorts itself out.
Old Mar 22, 13, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
There seems to be something going on with both award and upgrade inventory. I've seen ZUC available on AA 78/79 but not AA 50/51 for a number of dates in November. This is despite J/F seat maps being totally empty on 50/51. No expanded EXP inventory either. Hoping it sorts itself out.
I think this is probably a deliberate move on the part of AA, and it makes sense. They have a new product who's marketability is, to a degree, unknown as their algorithms for 'old' J probably don't apply to the 77W. So probably best to figure out how many of these premium seats they can sell before they start to release award inventory. I'd expect this continue for at least a year (full cycle) before we see more award availability....hopefully. All just IMO obviously.
Old Mar 22, 13, 10:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Nat'l EE, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by lalakrsfan View Post
From a noise perspective, I did notice a bit more galley noise in row 4 vs. row 3, but my NC headphones took care any issues with no problem. All in all my faith has been restored that the mini-cabin offers the best J seat experience.
Good to know some Malbec and NC-headphones will take care of any extraneous noise
Old Mar 23, 13, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
Just sat in 13A from LHR-JDK on AA139. Definitely a great experience. I found the lie-flat very comfortable (I'm 6'1"). It's a little tight in the feet, but that's getting picky. I'm sure they had to save some things for F.

One caution, the overhead bin above 13A had oxygen tanks in it and was not usable. It was not hard to find space across the aisle, but something to be aware of if you carryon a lot. There is no under seat stowage, so everything must go overhead for taxi and takeoff/landing.

There were some reports above of FEBO not happening right on an odd numbered flight upthread. On this flight, they did take orders for the main meal starting from the back. Everything else started in the front.
Old Mar 23, 13, 7:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I had no idea they were flying a 777 of any kind to ZUC, High Prairie ON, CA. (I was able to secure a SWU to F on AA 51 in May, so this surprises me.)

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
Old Mar 23, 13, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Here is a question that has not been addressed so far on this thread or on Seatguru or Seatexpert

Other than the notorious Row 11 that has no windows, which window seat/row is the best?

In my only flight to date on the AA 77W, I noticed that some rows had 2 physical windows on each window seat and some only had 1 (due to the way the seats were installed).

I will try on my next flight to make some notes in the "main" cabin of J on which rows have 2 windows.

However, has anyone already made such a list?

Last edited by panjabi; Mar 24, 13 at 12:18 am
Old Mar 24, 13, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by panjabi View Post

In my only flight to date on the AA 77W, I noticed that some rows had 2 physical windows on each window seat and some only had 1 (due to the way the seats were installed).
Row 3 (the first row in the J "mini-cabin") only has one window, and therefore very restricted view.
Old Mar 24, 13, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I had no idea they were flying a 777 of any kind to ZUC, High Prairie ON, CA. (I was able to secure a SWU to F on AA 51 in May, so this surprises me.)
It is slightly erratic, in that depending on the month you look at, AA 51 may be wide open while AA 50 will be completely unavailable (AA 78/79 both being available for those same dates). Not that it would matter in your case though, you needed A inventory which is more often available than not, being a revenue bucket. I end up burning most of my SWUs on J-F upgrades as well (in fact my very first 77W flight was an example), and not having to worry about availability always makes things easier.
Old Mar 25, 13, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Related question:

Has anybody had ANY luck at all finding Z award seats on ANY of the 77W-operated flights?
I've not seen anything much for this summer, but there was quite a lot of availability from mid-Oct onwards a few weeks ago. It mostly seems to have gone now though.

I managed to snag a pair of Z tickets for a LHR-DFW trip in October.

The main limitation now seems to be that availability form LHR-DFW can still be found here and there, but virtually nothing DFW-LHR.
Old Mar 25, 13, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I've not seen anything much for this summer, but there was quite a lot of availability from mid-Oct onwards a few weeks ago. It mostly seems to have gone now though.

I managed to snag a pair of Z tickets for a LHR-DFW trip in October.

The main limitation now seems to be that availability form LHR-DFW can still be found here and there, but virtually nothing DFW-LHR.
I've looked at these flights myself and was able to get an upgrade on AA51, the LHR-DFW flight, but didn't even bother with the reverse route. AA50 lands at 1:50am Central time, which is pretty useless for me if I want to sleep (even worse for anyone connecting from further west).

It's unfortunate that they've allocated their best J seats for sleeping to flights that I'd always avoid for that purpose. Forget about JFK-LHR, which is far too short for me -- I'd rather backtrack to LAX for a flight where you can have a relaxing dinner and still get a full night's sleep. Just hoping they bring these seats to ORD-LHR within the next year, or at least to a later DFW-LHR flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: