Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirborneLocksmith
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82” / 208 cm of pitch and 36” width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6’ 8” bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex [Link does not work]
Link to Steve Case's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75” pitch, 26” wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Where to seat on the 77W J-Class? Has anyone tried it yet?

I am booked on a LHR-JFK flight and was wondering if anyone at FT had experienced the new bird on DFW-GRU in Business
Thanks for the feedback
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Other then meal selections based on front to back back to front based on odd even numbered flights, i dont see much difference in the seats. It's the beauty of all aisle access you dont have to worry much, unless you have a preference for a window seat to look out. Haven't flown one yet but i haven't noticed any significant differences from what i've seen. I also pick based on getting the best chance at my meal selection.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Check the linked thread, there are more subtleties than you might imagine, like which 2 window seats don't have a window
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Check the linked thread, there are more subtleties than you might imagine, like which 2 window seats don't have a window
Good point, i'll have to check on that when the times comes i'll be on on.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Originally Posted by grahampros
Good point, i'll have to check on that when the times comes i'll be on on.
Just see above @ post 47.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Questions about economy and MCE seats should be posed in the following thread:
Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)

A recent post that fits that category has been moved there.

~Moderator
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA
any opinions on 3J vs 4J in the mini cabin?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by theshaun
I imagine that most people would prefer 3J to 4J, because 4J is more exposed to galley noise. About the only advantage I can think of for 4J is that it has two windows, whereas 3J has only one. But 3J's window is well-positioned for viewing, so I wouldn't give that much weight.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
+1. I should clarify my above comments about noise issues in the mini-cabin by saying that the worst seat in AA's 77W J is now much better than the best seat in BA CW. AA has clearly decided to do what it takes to sell its J product to fliers who have a choice. Let's hope that decision survives the merger.
Why shouldn't it? Guess what: AA's J seat is substantially identical to the seat US started rolling out years ago (before CX and well before AA, incidentally).
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:21 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by thierry
I am booked on a LHR-JFK flight and was wondering if anyone at FT had experienced the new bird on DFW-GRU in Business
Thanks for the feedback
Originally Posted by theshaun
flown in 3J both ways, excellent !. videos here:

DFW-GRU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTwbKMTIDok

GRU-DFW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HUbMGn-3xc
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wpj
flown in 3J both ways, excellent !. videos here:

DFW-GRU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTwbKMTIDok

GRU-DFW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HUbMGn-3xc

If they are now doing plated-on-board entrees and made-to-order sundaes in J, then what are the remaining real differences in meal offerings/presentation between 3-class J vs. 3-class F (and 2-class J on the 763)? They also have eliminated the marinated cheese antipasto...

(I don't drink so I don't care about the booze)
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by grahampros
Other then meal selections based on front to back back to front based on odd even numbered flights, i dont see much difference in the seats. It's the beauty of all aisle access you dont have to worry much, unless you have a preference for a window seat to look out. Haven't flown one yet but i haven't noticed any significant differences from what i've seen. I also pick based on getting the best chance at my meal selection.
EDIT: just saw it is for only certain flights. Disregard.
Can't meals be pre ordered now?

Last edited by apodo77; Mar 10, 2013 at 7:44 pm
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
Woohoo!!! My SWU just cleared for AA139 (LHR-JFK) later in March. I'm confirmed in 13A based on availability and FEBO. Trip report to follow. Thought I'd share my excitement as my wife could care less

Last edited by dmbtr3; Mar 11, 2013 at 4:15 pm
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
If they are now doing plated-on-board entrees and made-to-order sundaes in J, then what are the remaining real differences in meal offerings/presentation between 3-class J vs. 3-class F (and 2-class J on the 763)? They also have eliminated the marinated cheese antipasto...

(I don't drink so I don't care about the booze)
Flew DFW-LHR in 777-300 J a week ago. Differences I recall, vs 777-200 F last month:

No amuse bouche in J
No soup course in J
Salad course served same time as appetizer
Pasta entree option was pre-made and didn't offer any options
Entree I had (curry) seemed smaller, but that could be bad memory
Dessert did not offer the "specialty sundae" option (edit: this is the 2nd sundae they have in F; the "regular" choose your topping sundae was available in J)

Breakfast was identical, I think

The inflight snack selection was much much better than before. Sandwiches, pastries, fresh fruit, etc, in addition to the normal junk food.

Meal overall was fine, but not quite the dining experience that F has been lately. I was served first, as I should have been, but we rarely saw the crew after that. Cleaning up my trays took forever though.

As for the seat, there is no comparison to the old J seat, or, frankly, any other J seat I've ever been in. As a J seat, it was fantastic. It is obviously not as roomy as F, but very noticeably so for taller folks - if you are 6' or above, you may have issues fitting. Very tight in the foot well. Tough to get out of the seat unless it is slid all the way back. All of the other extras to F really make a difference, the bed topper, the extra pillow, the 2nd blanket, etc. I really missed them on the overnight flight.

I was in 3A and there is indeed galley noise in row 3 and 4. Really no different than row 3 or 4 in F on 777-200. I would think that 3D/G would be the best in terms of noise. They are slightly further forward, and a little tucked in from the galley.

Overall I thought J was absolutely amazing, and I would be thrilled to never travel in another cabin, but I think there is enough difference in seat, soft products, service, and food that F is still well superior and worth an upgrade or more miles if you can pull it off. And that's to 777-200 F, as I've not even been in 777-300 F yet.

Last edited by SAN-man; Mar 12, 2013 at 4:09 pm Reason: For sundae clarity, knowing this board
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SAN-man
Dessert did not offer the "specialty sundae" option
Just in case any J flyers are wondering, that does mean you still get the hand-made sundae, you just don't get the option of an alternative in addition to the vanilla ice cream with toppings.

... I think there is enough difference in seat, soft products, service, and food that F is still well superior and worth an upgrade or more miles if you can pull it off. And that's to 777-200 F, as I've not even been in 777-300 F yet.
77W F has better IFE than on the 772, but that is about it, no other noticeable improvements really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.