Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirborneLocksmith
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82” / 208 cm of pitch and 36” width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6’ 8” bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex [Link does not work]
Link to Steve Case's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75” pitch, 26” wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
I'll say that they make a big fuss about keeping windows closed most of the time and, if you're inclined to follow along with this kind of request, then the window seat isn't that big of a deal. OTOH middle seats on this aircraft are not in any way middle seats in the traditional sense of the word. I'll be honest, the window in 3A was far enough away from me that I would have had to stretch to see much in flight. I did take a fab picture of Concorde as we were taxiing for take-off, though
Thanks much - good point about on/off, forgot about that. Going to/from GRU so overnight each way, really just hoping to maximize sleep.

I'm not even a window looker really, just prefer the outside all other things being equal.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:34 pm

I almost hate to ask about one more adapter

So is there an adapter for Sennheiser (one plug) headphones to work in the Bose three prong plug?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Holy cow this plane is nice

J seats equal to, maybe better than UA F suite.

Once AA gets more if these and reconfigures old planes, it will blow UA/DL out of the water, along with (hard product wise) a lot of the great foreign carriers.

To answer my own Q above, I just switched to 3G on the return from 7A - mini cabin is great.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by alph4dog
So is there an adapter for Sennheiser (one plug) headphones to work in the Bose three prong plug?
Of the three prongs, two are sound, one is power. Your Sennhheiser hopefully came with the two-prong adapter, mine did, just plug the adapter into the two of the three holes that fit and plug your jack into the adapter connector.

I actually find the Bose more than adequate and end up using them on trips to save the battery for my Sennheiser for my connecting flights, but I've plugged them in with the adapter when they take the Bose ones away (which they usually do a bit too early for my taste, especially when you circle over LHR for 30 minutes) and they work without problems.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It's as good as when you are in the seat, I don't really need the extra width. The only slight issue with the seat is that for all practical purposes you have to exit with a side-to-backwards move, which is a tad uncomfortable. The seat is basically a 90 degree rotated-from-the-aisle version of the Virgin Atlantic (and I think DL) seat, which means a slightly less comfortable exit motion, but far superior space usage.

It's a nit, it's a great experience all around.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's as good as when you are in the seat, I don't really need the extra width. The only slight issue with the seat is that for all practical purposes you have to exit with a side-to-backwards move, which is a tad uncomfortable. The seat is basically a 90 degree rotated-from-the-aisle version of the Virgin Atlantic (and I think DL) seat, which means a slightly less comfortable exit motion, but far superior space usage.

After doing the overnight run to GRU - my only complaint is that I thought the seat is a *bit* hard, relatively speaking. No turndown service for J, only, F, right? I should have snagged the blanket from the empty seat across from me, ah well.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
I flew AA100/101 and I rather like the new seat. The aisle arm rest is, indeed, odd. The video screen is slightly off center. I do wish the tray table could move forward and back.

Seatguru says 11A and J lack windows and give them a red warning. Given the angle, you have as fine a view as row 10. Having flown in both row 10 and 11 now, I'm not sure what that's about, but ignore it.

Last edited by sinanju; May 2, 2013 at 7:29 am Reason: grammar
Old May 2, 2013, 6:25 am

After doing the overnight run to GRU - my only complaint is that I thought the seat is a *bit* hard, relatively speaking. No turndown service for J, only, F, right? I should have snagged the blanket from the empty seat across from me, ah well.
Yup, F only. I like a firm mattress and slept very well on the seat couple of weeks ago. I am genuinely excited to be in row 3 again tomorrow for AA50. And to fly back to JFK on the 17th.

As I look at the UA banner above my edit window for the Explorer card, all I can think of is "Nope, I'm OUT"
Old May 4, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by RTW4
just flew JFK-LHR in F and LHR-JFK in J on the 77w.. Seat 1 J excellent and I loved seat 3 J in business.. Incidentally the self service bar was excellent.. for thoses of you FF who are scheduled to fly the 77W... enjoy.. GREAT experience...
In 1J - no bother from forward cabin light? Any difference between rows 1 and 2 in F?
Old May 4, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

Once AA gets more if these and reconfigures old planes, it will blow UA/DL out of the water, along with (hard product wise) a lot of the great foreign carriers.

To answer my own Q above, I just switched to 3G on the return from 7A - mini cabin is great.

Well, I'd still take UA F over new AA J...if I were in the mood to put up with everything that can go wrong with UA these days.

More generally, though, after having flown the new AA J seat for the first time a couple of days ago, I'm a big fan. In fact, on a RT J trip SFO-LHR in a couple of months, I'm opting for connecting on AA new J via LAX rather than the BA non-stop.

The new J certainly is far superior to UA's J. I haven't flown DL and am not aware of how its newer J seats are, so can't compare.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Yup, F only. I like a firm mattress and slept very well on the seat couple of weeks ago. I am genuinely excited to be in row 3 again tomorrow for AA50. And to fly back to JFK on the 17th.

As I look at the UA banner above my edit window for the Explorer card, all I can think of is "Nope, I'm OUT"
MarkedMan - what was your impression of row 3? I'm on 51 and contemplating this since I don't envision sleeping like I would if I were headed to LHR.

I have heard folks say that row 4 isn't ideal, but what is the consensus thus far on row 3? I'm thinking 3D and 3G...
Old May 4, 2013, 11:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA has been reported to choose a similar, but not exactly the same, J seat for the 772 when the CIP occurs (next year, iirc).

Old May 5, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mrlonghorn
MarkedMan - what was your impression of row 3? I'm on 51 and contemplating this since I don't envision sleeping like I would if I were headed to LHR.

I have heard folks say that row 4 isn't ideal, but what is the consensus thus far on row 3? I'm thinking 3D and 3G...
I've flown in 3A and 6A a few times now.

Row 3 is in the 'Twilight Zone' so you may find the service a little less attentive as they tend to be in the forward mini-cabin a lot and can occasionally forget about it, but aside from that I've had no issues in there.

Some cite galley noise as a problem, but I do not notice it when wearing the provided Bose headphones.

The advantage of being there is you will exit the plane with the F passengers before the rest are unleashed which can be an advantage when racing for the immigration lines.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
My wife and I were on AA 101 in two middle seats last week, midcabin. I will say it is not as easy to converse with your seatmate as on the 772, and as previously noted you cannot easily assist with accessing the overhead storage. Not a bother for us but I could see needy couples preferring the old style.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Was in 9A last week. Still could hear forward galley noise while trying to sleep. No ear plugs used, will try next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.