Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
(Link) to “United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty (APD) Charged UK Departing Passengers”

Link to html full APD tax law

APD rates as of 01 Apr 2020:
Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) £13 Reduced, £26 Standard
Band B (anything over 2,000 miles): Reduced £80, Standard £176

Infants and children
“Children below the age of 2 years who are not allocated a separate seat before boarding the aircraft are not chargeable passengers. If a seat is purchased for the infant then APD is chargeable.

From 1 May 2015, children who are under the age of 12 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 12 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.

From 1 March 2016 children who are under the age of 16 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 16 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.”

General notes:
distances calculated between national capitals - e.g. HNL calculated as WAS.
Link to Source: U.K. Excise Notice 550: Air Passenger Duty

APD is due when passengers pay to upgrade any stage of their journey

N.B. Arriving at a UK airport will not incur APD. Connections with less than 24 hours will generally not require APD*; you may have to have the rate desk intervene if you are not on a through ticket. As noted, "band distance" is calculated Capital to Capital.

APD is not charged on flights originating in the Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands. APD is not payable on direct, Band B, flights departing Northern Ireland.

* Connecting flights exemption (UK APD regulation)
“The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they are in one booklet, or
b. where they are in separate booklets:
each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question

Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether Two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.”

AA (c/o JonNYC, post #219):

septix by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Pursuant to the UK regulations, if you can present one single itinerary from a travel agent or AA that establishes an under 24 hour stay, then you do not need to pay the APD.

HOWEVER, AA has no way to implement this law. If it is in separate pnrs they charge you.

Some have been successful requesting a refund.
So far, I've not experienced that problem; on separate PNRs, AA and BA or FI, no problem once they had ticket numbers.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:57 am

FYI, booked 5 coach seats LHR-LAX, 2 adults 3 children under 6, and AA.com automatically charged UK APD on the one-way from LHR to LAX.

I called and talked to 2 separate agents about having the tax waived, but they said they'd never heard of it. Spent over 45 min on the phone with the last agent who was talking to ticketing when they finally refunded the $109 per person. They said aa.com is set up properly for paid tickets to reduce the APD, but not on award tickets. So until they program it in, everyone probably needs to call too get it refunded.

BTW, had a similar flight booked on united for this summer, and they auto-refunded APD, so mildly frustrating.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingRabbit
FYI, booked 5 coach seats LHR-LAX, 2 adults 3 children under 6, and AA.com automatically charged UK APD on the one-way from LHR to LAX.

I called and talked to 2 separate agents about having the tax waived, but they said they'd never heard of it. Spent over 45 min on the phone with the last agent who was talking to ticketing when they finally refunded the $109 per person. They said aa.com is set up properly for paid tickets to reduce the APD, but not on award tickets. So until they program it in, everyone probably needs to call too get it refunded.

BTW, had a similar flight booked on united for this summer, and they auto-refunded APD, so mildly frustrating.
Sometimes, you have to call; occasionally, more than once. It was a bit like pulling teeth, but I was able to get the APD waived nor KEF-LHR on FI, overnighting, connecting to AA LHR-LAX.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:43 pm

Gold Medal(virgin APD)

hello everyone, hope some one can advise, we booked our trip to florida through the co op travel, who subbed it out to Gold medal
this was booked for a family of 4 with 2 children under 12
all booked on 6th Of January 2015, I have contacted my booking agent who advise that the gold medal did not charge the APD, I personally don't believe them.
but I cannot speak to Gold medal direct for a full breakdown of costs
any help or guidance would be much appreciated
regards
Scott
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by rogermellie
hello everyone, hope some one can advise, we booked our trip to florida through the co op travel, who subbed it out to Gold medal
all booked on 6th Of January 2015, I have contacted my booking agent who advise that the gold medal did not charge the APD, I personally don't believe them.
regards
Scott
It should be your booking agent's responsibility to secure a fare breakdown and provide it to you to prove their case. To do otherwise makes it look like an unsubstantiated demand for more money.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
It should be your booking agent's responsibility to secure a fare breakdown and provide it to you to prove their case. To do otherwise makes it look like an unsubstantiated demand for more money.
many thanks for the rapid reply, I don't ever expect I will ever get a full price breakdown of a package holiday with all itemized costs.
I have asked once and was told, it was niot charged, very difficult when your dealing with an egent
I find it hard to believe a company would not apply the Apd, although it was announced in the budget months before

"In the December 2014 Autumn Statement, it was announced that APD on economy flights for children under 12 will be abolished from 1 May 2015, and for under 16s from 1 March 2016"
I booked 1 month later , I do not believe for one minute that "gold Medal"
implemented the reduction
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

regards
Scott
I'm confused.

Is the travel agent asking you to pay more money now, or are you trying to get a refund of APD that you believe was (improperly) charged on the children's tickets?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

hello everyone, hope some one can advise, we booked our trip to florida through the co op
"In the December 2014 Autumn Statement, it was announced that APD on economy flights for children under 12 will be abolished from 1 May 2015, and for under 16s from 1 March 2016"
I booked 1 month later , I do not believe for one minute that "gold Medal"
implemented the reduction
If you purchased a packaged holiday with an all inclusive cost, then what ever the company has charged is what is due. Package companies are just charging an inclusive price for the whole package

No entitlement to anything back from them if they charged what they quoted

If Gold Medal is able to get a refund back of any APD it paid to the airline, does not mean it has to pass it back to you
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

I'm confused.

Is the travel agent asking you to pay more money now, or are you trying to get a refund of APD that you believe was (improperly) charged on the children's tickets?
Here's what may have happened: the APD rates changed 1 APR 2015; children under 12 were exempted from APD payment on 1 May. There's some confusion of what was and should be paid. I'm unsure why an agent can't seem to sort it out, but I'd see if I had any kind of consumer protection.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here's what may have happened: the APD rates changed 1 APR 2015; children under 12 were exempted from APD payment on 1 May. There's some confusion of what was and should be paid. I'm unsure why an agent can't seem to sort it out, but I'd see if I had any kind of consumer protection.
I think that the person may have booked a package deal ( I may be wrong, but didn't think that Gold Medal just does standalone scheduled flight bookings ) ; if so, then a price is quoted for the whole package and there would be no consumer protection that would entitle the passenger to a refund of APD - a price for the whole package is quoted and there is only protection against the whole package. If Gold Medal needs to pay less to its suppliers then it makes more profit

If it is just a standalone flight booking then may be entitled to a refund if overcharged on APD
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that the person may have booked a package deal ( I may be wrong, but didn't think that Gold Medal just does standalone scheduled flight bookings ) ; if so, then a price is quoted for the whole package and there would be no consumer protection that would entitle the passenger to a refund of APD - a price for the whole package is quoted and there is only protection against the whole package. If Gold Medal needs to pay less to its suppliers then it makes more profit

If it is just a standalone flight booking then may be entitled to a refund if overcharged on APD
That would explain it. Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I know this happened over a year ago, but can you clarify one thing for me? Did you already have both the AA and FI itineraries ticketed, and get AA to give you a refund of the APD?

I'm trying to do the same thing with two trips via LHR coming up.

TIA!

Connecting within 24 hours without a through ticket / with two separate tickets (as indicated above by teemuflyer ^, and verified by my experience today - and previously, but today I took the time to pay attention to the process, as the EXP agent didn't know what the heck I was talking about):

We are connecting at LHR on a (return legs) KEF-LHR-ORD-SFO FI to AA, separate tickets, but (barely) with 24 hour connection. Contacting AA, we were able to give the FI (Icelander) ticket number - this allowed the Rate Desk to view the FI (1008-) ticket, and delete the APD from our (001) AA ticket, resulting in a cost savings $452.40 for two people.

This took some time - over thirty minutes for the EXP agent to get the Rate Desk to research it, view our FI tickets and make the requisite changes to our tickets. Interestingly, the otherwise capable EXP agent did not know this could be done; he thanked me for the opportunity to learn something new. I smiled all the way to the bank.

Off topic, as one ticket was a paid ticket and the other an award ticket, asking the agent to associate the two PNRs with a "TCP" (To Complete Party) took little time and easily got it done. When I went to get the paid ticket at the local airport ticket counter (I was using a voucher for partial payment) the longtime Ticket Agent (ex-TW, iirc) knew how to accept and document the voucher, but did not know about the "TCP" annotation in the remarks section of the PNR.

Knowing all this stuff from FlyerTalk is, as they say in New Orleans, a nice lagniappe (in southern Cuba it's "la ñapa" - what you possibly didn't know is the term is from the Andean Kechwa / Quechua / Runasimi language). FT ^!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:21 am

Edited my post as it appears as if answered. To summarize just contact carrier out of UK and provide PNR/ticket number from inbound carrier if arrival is >24hrs before UK departure. This is very helpful.

Last edited by xooz; Nov 15, 2015 at 1:14 pm
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:46 am
Suspended

bump.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:05 am
Suspended

TO my knowledge, there has been no change to this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25034487-post13.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.