Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
(Link) to “United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty (APD) Charged UK Departing Passengers”

Link to html full APD tax law

APD rates as of 01 Apr 2020:
Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) £13 Reduced, £26 Standard
Band B (anything over 2,000 miles): Reduced £80, Standard £176

Infants and children
“Children below the age of 2 years who are not allocated a separate seat before boarding the aircraft are not chargeable passengers. If a seat is purchased for the infant then APD is chargeable.

From 1 May 2015, children who are under the age of 12 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 12 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.

From 1 March 2016 children who are under the age of 16 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 16 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.”

General notes:
distances calculated between national capitals - e.g. HNL calculated as WAS.
Link to Source: U.K. Excise Notice 550: Air Passenger Duty

APD is due when passengers pay to upgrade any stage of their journey

N.B. Arriving at a UK airport will not incur APD. Connections with less than 24 hours will generally not require APD*; you may have to have the rate desk intervene if you are not on a through ticket. As noted, "band distance" is calculated Capital to Capital.

APD is not charged on flights originating in the Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands. APD is not payable on direct, Band B, flights departing Northern Ireland.

* Connecting flights exemption (UK APD regulation)
“The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they are in one booklet, or
b. where they are in separate booklets:
each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question

Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether Two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.”

AA (c/o JonNYC, post #219):

septix by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Understood, thank you very much. For some reason, based on several mileage runs of 3-4 years ago, I thought the (excessively) high APD could be avoided by booking a short economy segment prior to a long business segment. I must have confused myself as those were all purchased as economy tickets and then upgraded so at the time of purchase the APD charged would have been the reduced rate rather than the standard rate. I also seem to recall that when the upgrades cleared, I wasn’t ALWAYS charged the additional APD but I’m probably confused about that also. Thanks again.
As the APD is an excise tax, it’s required to be corrected when flights originate in the United Kingdom - unless you’re originating from Belfast / BFS or certain Scottish island or highland airports. That would apply in case your flights originated at exception airports, or if an airline couldn’t process some tickets because of IT issues - but that’d be out of compliance.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Flying saver J from UK to US--AA vs IB/BA

I had 2 ticketed itineraries. The first one was BA saver J from lhr - mad on 12/29 and then the other was on 12/30 IB saver J from mad-ord-dfw. The first leg award fees were $60 and the second leg the award fees (taxes) were $140 so $200. This itinerary also meant that I had a night stay at the MAD hilton and that was $130.

I found AA lhr-phl-dfw on 12/29 today. I booked it and canceled the BA/IB flights. The taxes were $303 and I know that's the luxury tax or whatever LHR calls it for a J ticket departing LHR. So the bottom line is it's a wash and I save one extra segment I don't need to fly. Just wanted to make sure people know the departure tax on J tickets.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The highest of the taxes is nothing to do with LHR , but is the UK Air Passenger Duty

Other than just the total of taxes and charges being similar due to the original itinerary having carrier surcharges, wasn't there also a saving of 22,500 miles from the business class BA flight to Madrid
Old May 8, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The highest of the taxes is nothing to do with LHR , but is the UK Air Passenger Duty

Other than just the total of taxes and charges being similar due to the original itinerary having carrier surcharges, wasn't there also a saving of 22,500 miles from the business class BA flight to Madrid
yes you are right, UK air passenger duty. Semantics to me though so you can call it what you want. UK duty, LHR, Harry's new kid, whatever but I get it.

Yes 22,500 savings too so it's really not a wash.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
yes you are right, UK air passenger duty. Semantics to me though so you can call it what you want. UK duty, LHR, Harry's new kid, whatever but I get it.

Yes 22,500 savings too so it's really not a wash.
There is a big difference between LHR and nearly all of the UK . The cost would be there if departing from Gatwick, Manchester, Birmingham etc - a lot more than semantics

There is a passenger service charge that does pertain to LHR

If travelling within Europe to somwehere like Madrid, economy seats sold as business class at 22500 is , imo, really poor value vs 12,500 points for economy (plus the GBP13 saving on taxes for eonomy for adults and GBP26 for those under 18 )
Old May 21, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
AA reimburses APD for canceled reward ticket through voucher

Getting the taxes back on canceled reward tickets became a pain since I joined, and I imagine since AA closed their UK call center. When I first became an AA frequent flier a few years ago, you had to save your canceled tickets and bring them to the LHR ticket office for the refund to be processed (very grudgingly). Then they became able to do it via the EXP phone line, but always with a lengthy hold, as the taxes had been converted from £ to $ and (for unknown reasons) also reconverted into £ before being recredited to my credit card. However, for my latest cancelled reward ticket, I've just received my "refund" — as a TRANSPORTATION VOUCHER valid for one year. I have absolutely no use for this, as all my AA-coded tickets are business trips. Is this just a freak occurrence, or a new policy? Can they legally get away with this? Being UK Air Passenger Duty, it is a sum large enough to be worth fighting for.

Incidentally, the voucher is not even in my name, but in the name of the passenger of the canceled ticket.

And it can't even be redeemed on AA.com.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; May 21, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 2:59 pm

If travelling on an award ticket, then you should be able to redeposit the miles subject to a $150 fee and get the taxes back

( I assume you mean an award flight based on referring to a reqard flight )

If this was a revenue ticket, then it depends on whether this was a US origination or a UK origination and the fare rules

If this is a non-refundable ticket but the value can be held for another trip, then a transportation voucher would be correct and indeed would be in name of passenger
Old May 21, 2019, 3:03 pm

If travelling on an award ticket, then you should be able to redeposit the miles subject to a $150 fee and get the taxes back

( I assume you mean an award flight based on referring to a reqard flight )

If this was a revenue ticket, then it depends on whether this was a US origination or a UK origination and the fare rules
The miles were redeposited into my account in an orderly fashion. Executive Platinum members are exempt from mileage redeposit fees. The refund I am referring to is Air Passenger Duty.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Executive Platinum members are exempt from mileage redeposit fees.
Yess - I didn't see a need to go into exception conditions

Was it an award flight and did you ask to cancel and for mileage to be redeposited? if so, then all the taxes paid ( not just APD) should have been refunded to original form of payment. - there is nothing special about APD over any of the other taxes
Old May 21, 2019, 3:07 pm

Yess - I didn't see a need to go into exception conditions

Was it an award flight and did you ask to cancel and for mileage to be redeposited? if so, then the taxes paid should have been refunded to original form of payment
Thanks, yes they always have been in the past. Not necessarily painlessly, but without AA disputing whether a cash refund was due.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Scotland

Aberdeen airport has called for an end to the Inverness exemption re APD. Though calling INV a 'tax haven' is a tad exaggerated.

And via that link I have found that the Scottish Government has dropped plans to scrap APD . I've updated the wiki to reflect this.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Thumbs up Another data point

Originally Posted by JDiver
The United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty, an excise tax, isn’t required on U.K.connections of 23:59 or less. I’ve avoided it on separate ticketing (e.g. FI to AA) when purchasing, but I’ve not tried to get it refunded. Nonetheless, I believe AA should refund it with proof of your UK connection, as it was incorrectly charged.

You were charged the difference between the £78 reduced rate you’d already paid and the £156 full rate due for C or F. That’s about USD $98.74. For that money, I’d certainly give it a go.
My experience today trying to remove UK APD before ticketing an award reservation:

I have a paid BA flight booked from LIS-LHR arriving 930pm on 9/14 (part of a RTW ticket - AA ticketed). I put an economy award on hold departing LHR-ORD 745am on 9/15; the award priced out including APD of $95 per person (78 GBP). I called AA ExPlat line and asked that they remove the UK APD before I book the award ticket and provided the RTW AA record-locator.

1st Agent: What? Ok, give me locators for both and I will check. After 5 minute hold, "pricing" says the tax is still due. I pushed back a bit but agent didn't seem to want to try anything else. HUCA.
2nd Agent: Ok, please give me both locators. Reads through the RTW ticket and finds the LIS-LHR flight, confirms it arrives within 24HR of award. Puts me on hold. Somehow redirected to RTW desk, who then connect me back to ExPlat.
3rd Agent: "I see what you are trying to do", let me talk to tariffs. On hold for 5 minutes. Agent comes back and asks "why" should the APD be removed. I explain that I'll be in UK less than 24 hrs via the two flights, so the tax should not be charged. A few more minutes on hold and she comes back and let's me know the reservation has been updated. When i pull it up on AA.com I see the reduced taxes and I can now book/pay for the reservation online without the APD.

Took 15-20 minutes but saves $95 per passenger; in my case 2 - so $190 savings.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
Question VS to AA on separate tickets

Has anyone had success getting AA to properly calculate UK APD or lack thereof when the inbound flight to London is on a non-oneworld carrier? I'm considering flying inbound to LHR on VS (purchased from VS) and connecting to an AA flight in J. Since my connection is within 24 hours, this would be exempt from the APD.

Will AA be able to see the VS flight via the VS ticket number on VS ticket stock?

Thank you.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AA EXP DFW-LON
Has anyone had success getting AA to properly calculate UK APD or lack thereof when the inbound flight to London is on a non-oneworld carrier? I'm considering flying inbound to LHR on VS (purchased from VS) and connecting to an AA flight in J. Since my connection is within 24 hours, this would be exempt from the APD.

Will AA be able to see the VS flight via the VS ticket number on VS ticket stock?

Thank you.
In theory it should not matter whether your inbound flight is a oneworld or non-oneworld carrier. I would definitely give AA a call and ask for the APD to be removed, that's about the only thing you can do regardless of any positive or negative data points. Be prepared for a few HUCA's, it will most likely be no different than the other examples mentioned above in this thread.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I do note the UK gov website says
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/air-pass...nected-flights
"The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets are only conjunction tickets if either:
they’re in one booklet
  • in separate booklets where each:
    • refers to the other and states that they’re to be read together
    • includes a summary of the flights that make up the passenger’s journey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.