Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy AA Miles Promo, up to 30,000 bonus miles, 1.83 cpm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy AA Miles Promo, up to 30,000 bonus miles, 1.83 cpm

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:08 am

Another Question..Having just 3k Miles on my Account, buying 40k (plus 20k Bonus) would give me FRA-JFK in F for 62,5k -> but just One-Way, correct? So how do i get back home?

The Question is: Can i combine an F-Flight with an Eco-Flight? Like Eco to the States and F back? Would that work for 90k? Or am I as bad at Maths as my Teacher told me?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:23 am

Yes you can do that. You can also get a friend or family member to open up an account and book another one way to get you home.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Think you need to redo your math..Your need 135,000 Miles for a First Class RT to BKK, perhaps you have looked and calculated based on the One Way Chart.

Plus of course you have the added problem of CX First Class AAward availbility SFO-HKG.
Agreed - it can be difficult to get more than four award seats on CX in F
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Yes you can do that. You can also get a friend or family member to open up an account and book another one way to get you home.
I see! Thanks for the Help! So i will go for 90k (60k plus Bonus) and go Eco to the States and First on the Night-Flight (nice wording) back to Europe..All with BA..Sounds like a good deal to me!

Last edited by blueeagle3; Nov 18, 2012 at 6:47 am
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by blueeagle3
I see! Thanks for the Help! So i will go for 90k (60k plus Bonus) and go Eco to the States and First on the Night-Flight (nice wording) back to Europe..All with BA..Sounds like a good deal to me!

BA is doing a 25% discount on awards, and you can purchase/transfer in BA miles, so the Eco segment may be cheaper on BA, depending...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lights-11.html
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
BA is doing a 25% discount on awards, and you can purchase/transfer in BA miles, so the Eco segment may be cheaper on BA, depending...

It's getting better and better! Yeehaw! Thanks a lot, i will check that one too!

So you would suggest just buying 40k (plus Bonus) and going with 62.5k First on BA with AA-Miles to the States...And going back with BA-Miles on BA-Flight, bought with BA-Bonus? Am i getting that correct?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT

CAUTION: Check the inflated BA taxes and fees BEFORE pulling the trigger, which still apply to award travel.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
CAUTION: Check the inflated BA taxes and fees BEFORE pulling the trigger, which still apply to award travel.
The OP said "all with BA"- and AA charges the same YQ and taxes on BA awards too. So it may still be cheaper.

(That being said... OP, you may want to go on a different OW airline like AA, AB or AY for the Eco award, and save a few hundred CHF in taxes and nuisance fees. Another possibility would be to use BA miles for the connection to the European gateway, and then AA or AY to the USA...)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 18, 2012 at 11:45 am
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:53 am

I know, its not the correct Thread but.....Just comparing this Promo with US -> what would you do if you had like no Miles at US and 3k at AA? With US i could buy enough to go F from FRA to JFK, but probably only on US (not my Favorite at all). With AA i could buy 40k plus 20k Bonus..plus my 3k on the Account would help going One-Way in F on BA to JFK...But only Eco Return if i buy 60k plus 30k Bonus and that would not be really fantastic, would it?

So..What should i do?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by diver858
The OP said "all with BA"- and AA charges the same YQ and taxes on BA awards too. So it may still be cheaper.

(That being said... OP, you may want to go on a different OW airline like AA, AB or AY for the Eco award, and save a few hundred CHF in taxes and nuisance fees. Another possibility would be to use BA miles for the connection to the European gateway, and then AA or AY to the USA...)
It would not make sense to use BA miles to the European gateway, and then AA miles for the TATL portion. Unlike BA awards, AA awards include the connecting flights, as long as the over-water carrier has a published through-fare from origin to destination.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It would not make sense to use BA miles to the European gateway, and then AA miles for the TATL portion. Unlike BA awards, AA awards include the connecting flights, as long as the over-water carrier has a published through-fare from origin to destination.
There's a particular BA award I am thinking of: Reward Flight Saver.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

There's a particular BA award I am thinking of: Reward Flight Saver.
If you're going to use BA Avios for the whole trip, then that makes sense; but if you're going to use AA miles for the TATL flight, you'd be throwing away Avios by booking a RFS award for the intra-European segment, as that segment would be included for no additional mileage on the AA international award.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're going to use BA Avios for the whole trip, then that makes sense; but if you're going to use AA miles for the TATL flight, you'd be throwing away Avios by booking a RFS award for the intra-European segment, as that segment would be included for no additional mileage on the AA international award.
Trying to avoid taxes going through LHR. But it might not pencil out.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:09 pm

Hi guys,

How long do the points take to post- and do the bonus points post later?

Cheers
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC & HH
This is definitely a tempting offer...

I am a bit hesitant but based on the great idea to combine one-way BA & AA awards is a step in the right direction. If only these purchased points counted towards Million Miler status... that would be "take my money" situation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.