Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under “Project Oasis” this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 “Project Oasis” standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30” pitch in Main Cabin, 33”pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Thanks. I prefer the window myself. I think I'll go ahead and take the MCE seat. Middle is going to Middle no matter where I am. On another note, what are the odds of some seats opening up as upgrades process? Any thoughts on the best times to check?
Thanks again.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
If I was going to be stuck in a middle seat I might take the exit row. The exit row seats have hard dividers between the seats (where the tray table is stored), so they are slightly skinnier. However, those hard dividers also keep the window and aisle passengers in their place.

The only drawback to the exit row is that bigger people (myself included) tend to want an exit row if they can get it, so it is more likely you will be in a row with some big folks. The 737-800 seats are already pretty skinny, so you will likely be fighting for shoulder room.

Keep an eye on the seat map as the flight gets closer. As some of the elites get upgraded to first class, better seats may come available. I would definitely pay $30-$50 for an MCE aisle or window seat over any middle seat.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Thanks. I prefer the window myself. I think I'll go ahead and take the MCE seat. Middle is going to Middle no matter where I am. On another note, what are the odds of some seats opening up as upgrades process?
It's not just upgrades, but some economy aisle/window seats are held for elites and then made available to all passengers close to departure. I'd take a look at the seat map 2-3 days out, and if not, try to check-in online right at the 24-hour mark to see if any better seats have opened up.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Thanks. I prefer the window myself. I think I'll go ahead and take the MCE seat. Middle is going to Middle no matter where I am. On another note, what are the odds of some seats opening up as upgrades process? Any thoughts on the best times to check?
Thanks again.
I think that the free version of expertflyer allows you to set window /aisle seat alerts.
Good luck
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hello all,
I have a long flight coming up on a 737-800 and am struggling with seats. Right now all that's available are middle seats so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money to get either a middle exit row, or a middle in the 3rd row of economy. I'm currently in 10E (free) but the rows in front of me are $36. I guess my question is is there any difference between 9E and 10?E I don't mind paying the extra for such a long flight but don't feel the need if it only moves me up one row.
Thanks!
We have merged your query into the existing thread on Economy / Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra for the Boeing 737-823. Please check the Wikipost at the top of the page for summarized information on Economy seating on this aircraft.

/Moderator
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:28 pm

How to tell if your 738 will have seatback IFE?

I may have missed it, but is there a way to tell (in advance, for example at booking) if your 738 will have seatback IFE? I recently had two 738 transcons (LAX-DCA and return) that didn't have IFE, which surprised me.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Danski
I may have missed it, but is there a way to tell (in advance, for example at booking) if your 738 will have seatback IFE? I recently had two 738 transcons (LAX-DCA and return) that didn't have IFE, which surprised me.
There is no way to tell at booking. It shouldn't surprise you that it didn't have AVOD, though; only about 23% of the 738s have AVOD.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
There is no way to tell at booking. It shouldn't surprise you that it didn't have AVOD, though; only about 23% of the 738s have AVOD.
Are they retrofitting the remaining 738 fleet for AVOD, or with the recent announcement of no new AVOD will the 23% be it?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Danski
Are they retrofitting the remaining 738 fleet for AVOD, or with the recent announcement of no new AVOD will the 23% be it?
They were never going to retrofit the old ones with AVOD, so in that respect the announcement doesn't change anything.

All further 738s (NG) on order will be delivered with AVOD, so the percentage will still go up a little bit. Once the last one is delivered, it'll be done. The 737-8 (MAX) will be delivered without in seat AVOD.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:12 pm

Hello all, I have booked 11F on an American 737-800. For both V1 and V2 of the aircraft, seat guru has stated there is a misaligned window. How bad is it?
Thanks,
-Braeden
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:34 pm

So per this thread exit row 15 DOES recline, correct? Is it the full standard seat recline, or limited? Seat Guru shows limited recline.

I have 9A booked currently, but 15A is available, and I'm thinking about switching. Planning to sleep on the flight so recline is more important than leg room.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by shimps1
So per this thread exit row 15 DOES recline, correct? Is it the full standard seat recline, or limited? Seat Guru shows limited recline.

I have 9A booked currently, but 15A is available, and I'm thinking about switching. Planning to sleep on the flight so recline is more important than leg room.
15A has full recline, more legroom, but is narrower and is missing an armrest. The row behind 15 is a regular row, so they have less room in comparison to the people in the row behind row 9, meaning that if you get a tall person seated behind you, row 9 will have more recline.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
The only non-middle seats are 7F and 14F. Any preferences? Not too tall or wide
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by joshwex90
It depends on your personal preferences.

7 is a bulkhead row, so no underseat storage but it is closer to the door for a quicker exit.

14F is an exit row, it has more legroom than non exit rows MCE seats, however, the seat doesn't recline.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Originally Posted by TWA884
It depends on your personal preferences.

7 is a bulkhead row, so no underseat storage but it is closer to the door for a quicker exit.

14F is an exit row, it has more legroom than non exit rows MCE seats, however, the seat doesn't recline.
7F all day...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.