Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Effective 12 Oct 2014, meal selection is available from 30 days to 24 hours before flight (This meal selection was suspended temporarily 12 Sep - 10 Dec 2015.)

Special meal (Asian vegetarian, Kosher, Muslim, Low sodium, etc.) requests may be requested where offered. See this post for the list of available special meals.

[
Reserve your entrée before you fly

Flying in First or Business Class? We’re the first U.S. airline to offer you the choice to reserve your entrée on American Airlines flights with scheduled meal service. To enjoy this personalized service, simply reserve your meal at least 24 hours before departure.
  • Available for customers traveling on American Airlines in First or Business class, on the majority of flights that are scheduled to offer a meal.
  • You can reserve your meal beginning 30 days (and up to 24 hours) before you depart

• If you change your flight, reservation is required again

• Meals may not be available at times as there is a limit on numbers.

Information About Entrée (Main Course) Reservations:
  • Entrée reservations are available in First and Business class on American Airlines marketed and operated flights
  • We can begin accepting reservations 30 days prior to travel and all orders must be completed at least 24 hours before departure
  • If your original itinerary changes, please reselect your entrée preference
  • We will do our best to accommodate your request, but there may be instances that prevent us from fulfilling your selection

Problems? Try a DM using Twitter or call.

Also see

Note: the old order in which meal preferences are taken by Flight Attendants ("FEBO") ended on 1 Sep 2014. See "FEBO dead 1 Sep 2014 - new system based on flight direction & time zone change".

Thanks to wiki "plank holder" hillrider.
Print Wikipost

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:41 am

I fully understand your view. But I also feel less guilty about wasted food. AA saving money - not so much (I pay them enough).

Personally, I don't mind (too much) to eat what I pre-ordered. Heck, I chose it in the first place. The main thing for us was traveling with kids, and thinking they may prefer something a little different on the day. But it ended out to be fine, and we all ate well.

It's just a data point for those that think they may want to change their mind on the day. I still would rather risk that, than be served something I'd rather not eat.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by bmchris
We were on LHR-JFK in F. All 4 of us pre-ordered. And the other 4 pax (another family of 4) also pre-ordered. There were NO additional choices. AA only loaded exacty what was pre-ordered. FA said that's the first time he had that scenario, since often there are some who don't pre-order.
That is interesting. I wondered if they would accommodate this scenario and, while I can see it's a bit cheap to not allow any swaps, I suppose it's some sort of a miracle that any F at all is still on offer. Hopefully you can comment in the Intl meal thread on the overall F service you had based on recent changes to the Intl premium product.

FWIW, the Boursin Filet menu I have for my upcoming trip also has a halibut dish (seems similar to the tilapia one on the return euro flights). Those are the two options I see.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:50 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
My SWU for 1/13/15 JFK-ZRH just cleared; I tried pre-selecting my dinner--only two choices listed halibut or beef; I've flown this route many times before--there wrere always 4 entree choices...is the current 2 selections just a "glitch"?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nrr
My SWU for 1/13/15 JFK-ZRH just cleared; I tried pre-selecting my dinner--only two choices listed halibut or beef; I've flown this route many times before--there wrere always 4 entree choices...is the current 2 selections just a "glitch"?
Yes..it's a well-known glitch mentioned several times in the latest few posts of this thread. Missing dishes normally appear a few days before the flight although with your flight only 3 days away if they don't appear now they may never appear!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: aa exp, spg plat, HH gold
Even the day before my flight 136 LAX-JFK options on the website were limited to two. However, on board we had 4 options: Boursin Crusted Beef Filet, Herbed Turkey Cutlet, Pepper and Olive Tapenade Crusted Halibut, and Saffron Gnocchi. I had the beef which was pretty good.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
Flying AUA-MIA then MIA to DFW.....1st segment is designated Lunch but only Organic Tomato Bisque is showing as a choice (or choose later)...this is the only entree selection for a segment designated as Lunch?

We have choice of Chicken Tikka Masala or Chicken Lasagne on second segment designated as Dinner ( we have a five hour layover due to AA schedule change...gggrrrr)

I don't understand the 1st segment since we are flying MIA-AUA 2 weeks previous and segment is also designated Lunch but has 2 choices for entree...neither of them a soup.

Is this something new???
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, AF FlyingBlue Gold, Aegean Miles&Bonus Gold
AA918/917 LIM-MIA-LIM 763 Pre order meal was Chateaubriand with mashed potatoes, roasted veggies on red wine sauce. Catering has been upgraded on this route to the new full service Int'l Flagship as before it was treated as a regular North S.America/Central America flight receiving a PBD as usual,nuts,appetizer,main and from Lima vanilla ice cream with cookie crumbles on a glass and on the way out of Miami full made to order sundae. So there has been deff an upgrade on this specific service.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Yes..it's a well-known glitch mentioned several times in the latest few posts of this thread. Missing dishes normally appear a few days before the flight although with your flight only 3 days away if they don't appear now they may never appear!
The extra choices never showedup. On the flight the extra two were on the menu list; the TURKEY CUTLET (which I chose) was very mediocre.
[I'm guessing AA has sought advice from "super chefs" for their intl. meals--but the food should still be tasty--mine wasn't. So far out 50+ bc/fc segments (over several years), the TURKEY RUBEN sandwich (on a mid-aft. lax-jfk) was the best dish I"ve eaten on AA. I'll opt for tasty over "gourmet" any day.

Last edited by nrr; Jan 16, 2015 at 10:16 am Reason: put quotes around GOURMET
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Flying AA169 (LAX-NRT); showed on the main meal selector a "Japanese Meal" which ironically didn't sound very Japanese

"Beef tenderloin steak and demi-glace with Japanese mushroom, yuzu pepper flavor, blanched sugar peas and roasted potatoes"

That sounds like a Western Steak modified to be a Japanese Meal - Roasted Potatoes are kind of the hint you think??

In any case I went through the Diet specific selection where the Classic Japanese meal is and picked that. Will report later this week what I actually get.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:39 am

Flying JFK-LAS in F in a week and picked the traditional lasagna. Any reviews on it?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
On a SFO-DFW flight on Feb 2 the only entree choice is spinach and cheese tortellini. I would hope that is not the only entree that will be served.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by nrr
exact same choices available on 1/21/15 DFW-LHR.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Flying AA169 (LAX-NRT); showed on the main meal selector a "Japanese Meal" which ironically didn't sound very Japanese

"Beef tenderloin steak and demi-glace with Japanese mushroom, yuzu pepper flavor, blanched sugar peas and roasted potatoes"
Will report later this week what I actually get.
Looks like the pre order didn't match the printed menu which according to FA is correct as we prepare to depart.

Japanese item was wrong. You would have gotten a Western Steak. Purser said I ordered correctly and got the Japanese meal (selected it under dietary meal choices vs main selector)

Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:38 am

Which Int'l flights offer entree reservations?

Is there a list anywhere of which international flights offer entree reservations in F & J?
I have upcoming flights JFK-VCP and EZE-JFK. JFK-VCP is within 30 days and I received the usual email suggesting I pre-reserve my entree, but when I go to my reservation, the "Entree Reservations" box is greyed out. After several attempts over several days, I called the EXP desk yesterday and after some research the agent told me that entree reservations are not available on either of these routes. I was a bit surprised for flights ex-JFK and EZE, fairly major markets.
Anybody know how to find out which flights do not allow entree reservations?

Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Bye bye American Airlines?

Since our trip in paid J, MAD-MIA-LAX-DFW-MAD in May/June, when we had a full choice of meals to pre-order and the food served was pretty good, AA catering seems now to have gone into a tail spin and, for our next paid trip in J we are seriously looking at Delta.

As a bonus, last time I looked, the fares were actually cheaper. I did Email AA CS to see what they had to say about things improving any time soon and, as others I think have found, they basically told me that, as far as they were concerned, I could go xxxx myself. So, after many years of loyalty to American, it looks like we are off to pastures new. Hopefully they may be a little greener!

When paying a lot over the odds for our flights in Business Class as a special treat to ourselves, we poor old pensioners, we do expect something a little special and not to see the penny pinching that is clearly happening now.

Last edited by johnash; Jan 26, 2015 at 3:35 am Reason: Corrections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.