Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 767-300 / 763 Best MCE / Main Cabin Extra / Economy Seats (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Economy and Main Cabin Extra / MCE Seats in Boeing 767-300ER / "763"

Link to SeatGuru 763 seat chart

This thread was previously dedicated to the conversion of the mini-cabin on the 767-323ER to MCE, and has been repurposed to include all seating strategies on MCE-equipped 763s. The 763 mini-cabin has become the MCE cabin with removal of one seat row and row relocation to allow standard Main Cabin / economy seats with extended legroom. MCE has been extended throughout all of AA's 763s. <link>.

mid-2015 update: Following the 763 business CIP (installation of new lie-flat, all-aisle access business seat in a staggered 1-2-1 layout), the mini cabin got downsized; row 11 was removed to make room for the extended business cabin, and there are seven fewer MCE seats. Note the remaining 763 fleet is all the same; no older “NGBC” Business equipped 763s remain.

These aircraft were first introduced on routes to secondary European cities starting in April 2014, and are used for some Europe, South America and Hawaii flights.

Impact of the CIP on mini-cabin MCE seating is rather adverse:
- Bulkhead row 12 in the two-row MCE mini cabin on the refurbished aircraft loses about five inches of legroom compared to the pre-CIP row 11. Legroom is now merely adequate instead of abundant as on the three-row configuration.
- the space behind row 13 has been halved. Although this has no impact on recline, it is no longer possible to stand there and stretch one's legs or place larger objects (such as service animals) there.
configuration.
- IFE / distribution boxes have not been removed and can occlude placing "personal items" under the seat in front of you
- seats with emergency exits or bulkheads immediately behind them may have no / impaired recline.

. . . Row 11 missing: This configuration features MCE from rows 12-13, has new business class.
. . . ● Economy and MCE retain the cigar-lighter style 15 VDC, 75 watt outlets.
. . . ● Economy and MCE will retain the in ceiling video panels (no at seat AVOD) In-Flight Entertainment; bring your own.

The general thread discussing MCE rollout and eligibility can be found here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:35 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat

With the conversions of 763 to Mimi-Cabin Extra have you started to book into mimicabin hoping for MCE plane?

ALSO- interesting one in GIG AC. I had 21B and scored last upgrade at boarding time.

Guy in Row 20 was hovering at desk hoping someone in 21 would score upgrade and he could then take vacant exit row seat. AAngels gave 21B to guy on upgrade list that did not get the upgrade and said he was entitled since he was on UG list and Row20 guy was not on UG list.

Row20guy then says I guess I have to start asking for UGs even if I don't want them.

Has anyone heard this before?

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 24, 2012 at 1:22 am Reason: Removed moderator note
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:41 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alhcfp

Has anyone heard this before?
You mean- has anyone heard of a GA doing something while getting a flight out that is not reflected in policy anywhere, but doesn't seem to violate policy either? Yes, just about daily here.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Thread title modified for member clarity.

/Moderator
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I don't understand what the problem is.
Presumably, both guys wanted to be in row 21.
There was one seat available and GA had to decide which person got it.
I find nothing wrong with the decision to give it to the person who had requested an upgrade and didn't get it.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
I don't understand what the problem is.
Presumably, both guys wanted to be in row 21.
There was one seat available and GA had to decide which person got it.
I find nothing wrong with the decision to give it to the person who had requested an upgrade and didn't get it.
I didn't say it was wrong, just never heard of it before>

Also- NOT GA- it was in AC.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Guy in Row 20 was hovering at desk hoping someone in 21 would score upgrade and he could then take vacant exit row seat.
Perhaps they gave the upgrade to someone else because he was annoying them with his hovering.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: Various
Point of Information:

The mini cabin consists of Coach Rows 10 - 13 on the 763.

Once the current MCE (Main Cabin Extra) conversion of the mini cabin happens, they become rows 11-13.

I recently booked a coach flight on a 763 and was able to obtain row 13. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the EXP upgrade cleared and I'm now in First Class.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:22 pm

Did Row20Guy ask to be placed in 21B? or is this a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Did Row20Guy ask to be placed in 21B? or is this a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease?
He asked what my seat was. He was looking to see if any exit row pax scored an upgrade so he could improve his seat.

I should have made this 2 threads. I am more interested in 1st question- Are you booking mini-cabin hoping it becomes MCE seating?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1MM, Hilton Dmd, Marriott GLD, SPG GLD, Global Entry
I am more interested in 1st question- Are you booking mini-cabin hoping it becomes MCE seating?
I flew DFW-MAD last Sunday night and the seat map didn't change to MCE until about 4 hours before departure. The seat map went away on AA.com, and the phone agent couldn't move me because it went to airport control. I moved from 21J to 12B and it was fine. They were letting people stow bags behind row 13 since the bins had filled up.

The FAs brought a guy up mid-flight to look at 11E (empty) to see if he wanted to move there, but he didn't. When we exited the plane, I heard an FA telling a GA that a gentleman had paid for a seat with more legroom and didn't get it. Not sure how he did that (assuming he meant an MCE seat) if it didn't change to that equipment until the last minute.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFWDave
I moved from 21J to 12B and it was fine.
Given a choice in the future, would you choose 21J or MCE?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good question; I can imagine legroom without the door seal cold air. And I am wondering what the actual seat pitch is in the Mice, er, MCE, mini-cabin, and if all rows are created equal pitch-wise.

Originally Posted by hillrider
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by DFWDave
The FAs brought a guy up mid-flight to look at 11E (empty) to see if he wanted to move there, but he didn't. When we exited the plane, I heard an FA telling a GA that a gentleman had paid for a seat with more legroom and didn't get it. Not sure how he did that (assuming he meant an MCE seat) if it didn't change to that equipment until the last minute.
Sounds like he may have purchased a Preferred seat and thought he had actually purchased something special.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:47 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Good question; I can imagine legroom without the door seal cold air. And I am wondering what the actual seat pitch is in the Mice, er, MCE, mini-cabin, and if all rows are created equal pitch-wise.
On my GIG flight I saw lots of room for MCE bulkhead but not that much pitch for 2nd and 3rd rows. There was alot of space between back wall and last row of mini-cabin.

To me it looked like they installed it wrong, too much room in bulkhead not enough in other rows.

Since I was in J, I didn't spend too much time in mini.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1MM, Hilton Dmd, Marriott GLD, SPG GLD, Global Entry
Originally Posted by hillrider
Haven't done 21J, or if I have it's been a really long time. I sat in 21G on the return today (non-MCE aircraft) and by looking, 21J has more pitch, but is really cold and has the armrest on the wall, etc. Probably a toss-up if you ask me.

I wondered also about the space behind 13 and that they could have allowed more space than they did, but without the sliding trays, you would almost be too far from the tray to eat from it I suppose. I would suspect that is the main reason they didn't space them out even more. Either that, or they were going by the future specs for MCE when the shrink it to two rows.

On another note, at takeoff, everyone sitting in the middle-3 of 20 got a condensation shower. I hadn't seen that before, but the FA didn't seem to be surprised by it. There had also been a strike by ground workers effecting the food service in MAD. Passengers starting out in MAD got a warning, but those of us connecting from IB received no such warning either at IB club, AA security re-check, or at the gate. I think it impacted J more than Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.