Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 767-300 / 763 Best MCE / Main Cabin Extra / Economy Seats (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Economy and Main Cabin Extra / MCE Seats in Boeing 767-300ER / "763"

Link to SeatGuru 763 seat chart

This thread was previously dedicated to the conversion of the mini-cabin on the 767-323ER to MCE, and has been repurposed to include all seating strategies on MCE-equipped 763s. The 763 mini-cabin has become the MCE cabin with removal of one seat row and row relocation to allow standard Main Cabin / economy seats with extended legroom. MCE has been extended throughout all of AA's 763s. <link>.

mid-2015 update: Following the 763 business CIP (installation of new lie-flat, all-aisle access business seat in a staggered 1-2-1 layout), the mini cabin got downsized; row 11 was removed to make room for the extended business cabin, and there are seven fewer MCE seats. Note the remaining 763 fleet is all the same; no older “NGBC” Business equipped 763s remain.

These aircraft were first introduced on routes to secondary European cities starting in April 2014, and are used for some Europe, South America and Hawaii flights.

Impact of the CIP on mini-cabin MCE seating is rather adverse:
- Bulkhead row 12 in the two-row MCE mini cabin on the refurbished aircraft loses about five inches of legroom compared to the pre-CIP row 11. Legroom is now merely adequate instead of abundant as on the three-row configuration.
- the space behind row 13 has been halved. Although this has no impact on recline, it is no longer possible to stand there and stretch one's legs or place larger objects (such as service animals) there.
configuration.
- IFE / distribution boxes have not been removed and can occlude placing "personal items" under the seat in front of you
- seats with emergency exits or bulkheads immediately behind them may have no / impaired recline.

. . . Row 11 missing: This configuration features MCE from rows 12-13, has new business class.
. . . ● Economy and MCE retain the cigar-lighter style 15 VDC, 75 watt outlets.
. . . ● Economy and MCE will retain the in ceiling video panels (no at seat AVOD) In-Flight Entertainment; bring your own.

The general thread discussing MCE rollout and eligibility can be found here.
Print Wikipost

Boeing 767-300 / 763 Best MCE / Main Cabin Extra / Economy Seats (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by FWAAA
On flights blocked at 8+ hours, FAs get row 17; they don't get business class seats. There will always be "this one time at band camp . . . " reports that someone was assigned row 17 on long-haul flights, but those one-off situations should not be relied upon. You won't be assigned row 17 on a flight from Chicago to Paris. Get an exit row or MCE seat.
I did get 11 HJ but a lot of seats opened up at the last minute and we cleared today. So I won't get to try it this time.

The only thing I don't like about bulkhead is the lack of storage. To me knee, shin and "face" room are more important than toe room.

Edit:

In the future I would definitely choose 11HJ over 21HJ. Better isolation and location. I guess if you want the moveable armrest choose 12 or 13. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but it did seem like they put a lot of families in the minicabin, though. Fussy kids, if you have a problem with that.

Last edited by fanger; Nov 16, 2012 at 3:41 pm Reason: Update
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Is MCE Taking Any Space From J on 763 ?

Hi all,

With the Y "Mini Cabin" reduced from 4 to 3 rows to accomodate MCE, I do not see why it would shorten the J cabin BUT...

JFK-SFO yesterday in 6D sold as "First" on a 763, the seat seemed to recline less than usual, something more like on the 757L. Both my neighbor in 6G and I noticed it and talked about it. It may be that row 6 always has a limited recline (I usually choose rows 3 or 5 D or G according to FEBO but 6 was all that was available when I booked). It may also be that both seats were behaving abnormally by coincidence. Since this was my first trip on a 763 with MCE, I thought there might be a link.

On a different topic, with the new "Book your entree" availability on that route, FEBO becomes less relevant. I was surprised to see it offered also on ORD/LGA. Will it become the rule ?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the biz cabin has not been re-pitched. IME, all rows of 763 biz recline the same amount. MCE was created by removing one row of economy.

I don't understand the 75L comment, as the 75L seats recline as much as any other NGBC seat.

When AA announced the online meal selection, it said that eventually, it would be available system-wide.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by FWAAA
...I don't understand the 75L comment, as the 75L seats recline as much as any other NGBC seat...
There is something in the 75L which makes the seat feel much more cramped than on 763/777. It may be the pitch if not the recline. Every time I have mentioned it here I have been poo-pooed, but every FA on any 75L has told me it that is true and that they hear it all the time
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:11 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no difference in the recline in row 6 due to MCE instals. We must crush the notion before it becomes an "internet truth" and finds its way onto seatguru - further polluting the reality there.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNL
There is no difference in the recline in row 6 due to MCE instals. We must crush the notion before it becomes an "internet truth" and finds its way onto seatguru - further polluting the reality there.
Does anything qualitative find its way into seatguru these days? Ugh.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
JFK-SFO yesterday in 6D sold as "First" on a 763, the seat seemed to recline less than usual, something more like on the 757L. Both my neighbor in 6G and I noticed it and talked about it. It may be that row 6 always has a limited recline...
I can't picture how this would even be possible without massive and costly reengineering. The 763 front cabin seats recline within a self-contained pod. Even if recline were restricted for some reason the back of the seating unit would still be in the exact same place (unless AA spent millions to actually shorten the physical pod itself, or reposition where the seat is anchored to the pod unit). Restricting row 6 recline wouldn't accomplish anything for the Y/Y+ cabin as long as the aft part of the F/J seat pod unit stays in the same position.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
There is something in the 75L which makes the seat feel much more cramped than on 763/777. It may be the pitch if not the recline. Every time I have mentioned it here I have been poo-pooed, but every FA on any 75L has told me it that is true and that they hear it all the time
All the seats have the same recline - on every plane, in every row - they are in self-enclosed pods!

But the seats are all of different width, and the widest, roomiest of them is on the 75L.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546
All the seats have the same recline - on every plane, in every row - they are in self-enclosed pods!
Those seats are pitched by the airline. They are built to go full flat (as they do on IB when they removed a row of seats); the fact that they have pods is irrelevant to their pitch as the back and the front are not connected. The maximum recline is software-limited to avoid touching the end of the well in front.

As a matter of fact AA itself (https://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corp...acts/fleet.jsp) puts the pitch at 58-59 for the 75L, 59 for the 763, and 60/61 for the 777 -- so they're all slightly differently pitched.

Having said that, I cannot imagine why would AA have spent any money to decrease the pitch on the 763 when they have lots of extra space behind row 13 -- if they were to spend the money, it probably would be to increase the J pitch of the 763 (something I wish they had done)!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Just booked an award flight ORD-LHR for New Years and was thrilled to see the new configuration listed. Unfortunately seat guru doesn't seem to have the new config in their database. Picked 13A going over and 12J (only choice) coming back. As both are night flights, the extra windows aren't a draw for me and I'm with TxTrav, I like having my 'stuff' with me! I'm also pretty tall so I'm leery of any bulkhead. I'm a big sloucher when I sleep so putting my feet WAAAY under the seat in front is a big plus. Hope this is a good call.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Oh and meant to thank ROBT760 for the pics. With no info on seat guru, they were a big help in deciding!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a different topic, with the new "Book your entree" availability on that route, FEBO becomes less relevant. I was surprised to see it offered also on ORD/LGA. Will it become the rule ?
There's an existing thread for that:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ct-2012-a.html

Please read, discuss and ask questions about that there. Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are not self-eclosed pods for a given seat. What is self-enclosed is your seat itself with the seat well area of the person behind you. But your seat and the seat well area in front you are not self-enclosed together, and can be moved a teeny bit further apart or a teeny bit closer together (at which point the recline software is adjusted for the new pitch).

The space under your seat is the seat well of the person behind you.

(For each seat to be self-onclosed, the whole cabin would have be a single self-enclosed unit, since your seat and the seat front of the person behind you are a single unit.)

But the seats are all of different width, and the widest, roomiest of them is on the 75L.
Another thing that's different is the reading light. One of the planes (777?) has a goosenck, the others don't (but I think there still may be some other difference in the reading light between the 763 and 75L?).
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
Originally Posted by PamT
JustAs both are night flights, the extra windows aren't a draw for me and I'm with TxTrav, I like having my 'stuff' with me! I'm also pretty tall so I'm leery of any bulkhead. I'm a big sloucher when I sleep so putting my feet WAAAY under the seat in front is a big plus. Hope this is a good call.
In terms of windows, and based on the previously posted pics:

Row 11: wins = 3 windows. Nice.
Row 12: 1 decent window (but not much for you if you are in 12B or 12H)
Row 13: it has 1 window now, but if you recline you won't see much. In this case, if you sit in 13B and 13H you might have a better angle of view.

I'm a window person and 5'9", so the window is much more important to me than seat pitch. Putting my feet under the seat in front always was good. Anyway, I think this config is much better that the 4 rows before. But I wouldn't pay extra for it if I had to. I'll try this new config next Fri.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Platinum
Just booked a DFW/MAD trip in February. My wife and I don't like bulkhead seats, so I'm trying to decide between rows 12 and 13. The pictures earlier in this thread make the window look slightly better in 13, but I worry about lavatory noise and odors. Anyone with recent experiences?
Charles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.