Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Award Change / changes: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please feel free to add to or correct the information herein.
NOTE: For involuntary award changes (caused by the operating carriers), see Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads).

Ordinarily, one must call to request or make changes to award tickets.

Award changes, ordinary

NOTE: More extensive listing of terms and conditions are listed in oneworld and other all partner awards rules, Information 2015 on

Award carrier, connection, date or routing changes: As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made But:Airline / carrier changes incur no change or redeposit fees as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld airlines and non-oneworld airlines or vice versa.

E.g. an AA award such as SEA-HNL-SYD using AS can not be changed to use JL without requiring award redeposit. An award using AA LAX-HKG can be changed to JL via NRT or CX Without redeposit ing miles.

If Maximum Permitted Miles (usually 125% of the most direct available routing) for an award is exceeded, two awards may be charged

or

MSC fare requirements: The most significant or prevailing carrier, usually the one with the transoceanic sector, must offer an unconstructed fare between desired origin and destination; if a fare would require "married segments", two awards may be required.
Award validity: Awards must be used within one year of original booking. For travel beyond that, the award miles will have to be redeposited and new awards secured.

Award cancellations can be by phone or online, but online cancellation requires separate action to reinstate the miles. Canceling online does not request or result in miles redeposit.

Award miles reinstatement: Redeposit fees are waived for Executive Platinum members. See here for more information on award miles reinstatement.

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes and fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Co-terminals: For award purposes, there are no co-terminals; changing co-terminal airports (MIA and FLL, PBI; JFK, LGA, EWR etc.) will incur a $150 change fee. See this thread for detail on award miles redeposit.

An award using AS, FJ, HA or TN to South Pacific (e.g. AKL, SYD) can not be changed to AA or QF without requiring award redeposit (or vice versa).

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "all partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)

As JonNYC posted:

This document was current as of December 2014:
For permitted changes and fees, see this post in the airline partner award thread.

If the award is AA and oneworld, changes may be made as long as the main / governing /Most Significant Carrier makes an unconstructed fare on the award routing and the governing fare's carrier is not changed to one not offering such a fare.

Close-in booking fee: Changes made to bring travel to under 21 days from award issue will incur close-in booking fees of $75.

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Partner changes: If the award includes non-oneworld partners such as AS, EY, FJ or TN, or a oneworld carrier award is changed to include a non-oneworld carrier, or vice versa, significant fees will be incurred ($150).

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes abd fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account). However, SAAver awards canceled for AAnytime awards, or changing to a higher class of service, will not incur redeposit fees.

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

Close-in booking fee: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their account).

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.

Canceling Awards / Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

AAdvantage® mileage will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For tickets booked on or after November 1, 2018, AAdvantage®mileage will be reinstated upon payment of a processing fee for unused and unexpired awards canceled prior to departure. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card.

Award class changes: MileSAAver to AAnytime changes generally incur no fees; conversely, AAnytime to MileSAAver awards generally will.

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change).

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150 other than for Executive Platinum members redepositing to their accounts. If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR, though some less knowledgeable agents will insist so.

Note: given a 120 hr / 5 day hold is offered, there is no right to “Free” cancellation (without redeposit) within 24 hours of securing the award. OTOH, mere date changes to a year from Booking are free of charge in most instances.

Please see: State of the award reinstatement fee (Nov 2015 - clarifying)
FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)
Link to ARCHIVE 2017: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes.
Link to ARCHIVE 2015-2016: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes.
Link to ARCHIVE 2012-14: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes.
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Award Change / changes: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by T1cktac
Booked HND-SYD-AKL on QF all legs with AA miles in J. I want to change to SYD-AKL leg to a later flight on QF (within the 24 hr rule) while keeping the original HND-SYD leg. Is this possible without a re-ticket since the HND-SYD leg no longer has award space?
Yes. If you happen to get a bad agent who is unsure or says otherwise, HUCA.
T1cktac likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Two events happened on a trip this past week using miles for my wife. Weird or perhaps not.

1. Wife was booked on award business ticket LGA ORD PSP and I was paid Business same flight. Due to snow issue at LGA on 28 Feb, we missed connection ORD PSP. No other flights until 1 March but we were able to move to ORD LAX albeit in coach. Before the plane departed a GA came on board and said we scored one upgrade. I told her my wife would take mine since I had priority as EXP.

Upon our return, I saw that they did not restore a portion of the award miles to my wife’s account to reflect the downgrade for the last leg from J to Y on the basis that she sat in my paid J seat (since upgraded). After I inquired, AA customer relations noted that since my wife sat in J, there would be no prorated refund. I said fine, but how about a refund of a portion of my paid J fare since I sat in Y, plus a courtesy ORC of EQMs to reflect J. No cigar says AA since the same day Y fare on th ORD LAX leg was higher than what I paid for J. And no step up in EQMs either. Insult to injury.

2. I was staying on the west coast for work but my wife was returning PSP PHX JFK award J. Due to the snowstorm in NY last Monday, the first PHX JFK flight was canceled. My wife was on the the early afternoon departure from PHX JFK. At around midnight the night before the flight, we receive a phone call from AA offering her $400 if she would downgrade to Y. She didn’t care and took the voucher. Other than a seating isssue that was resolved before departure, she flew J PSP PHX and Y PHX JFK. Upon checking her account we noted there was no prorated refund of miles for the second leg downgrade. Upon inquiry, the same agent responded in writing that the $400 voucher was the compensation and there was no refund of a portion of the miles.

Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by george 3
I said fine, but how about a refund of a portion of my paid J fare since I sat in Y, plus a courtesy ORC of EQMs to reflect J. No cigar says AA since the same day Y fare on th ORD LAX leg was higher than what I paid for J. And no step up in EQMs either. Insult to injury.

I simply;y would not put up with that 'interpretation'

To say it is a 'same day Y fare' is insulting. THEY created the need to 'same day action'. Either pay the difference for the cheapest Y fare on the day you bought the J fare...or compare 'same day y to same day j'.

Not sure how you are dealing with them, but Id make a written, paper demand letter....Offer to run it past a small claims judge if they want to decline your reasonable offer.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by george 3
Upon our return, I saw that they did not restore a portion of the award miles to my wife’s account to reflect the downgrade for the last leg from J to Y on the basis that she sat in my paid J seat (since upgraded). After I inquired, AA customer relations noted that since my wife sat in J, there would be no prorated refund. I said fine, but how about a refund of a portion of my paid J fare since I sat in Y, plus a courtesy ORC of EQMs to reflect J. No cigar says AA since the same day Y fare on th ORD LAX leg was higher than what I paid for J. And no step up in EQMs either. Insult to injury.

2. I was staying on the west coast for work but my wife was returning PSP PHX JFK award J. Due to the snowstorm in NY last Monday, the first PHX JFK flight was canceled. My wife was on the the early afternoon departure from PHX JFK. At around midnight the night before the flight, we receive a phone call from AA offering her $400 if she would downgrade to Y. She didn’t care and took the voucher. Other than a seating isssue that was resolved before departure, she flew J PSP PHX and Y PHX JFK. Upon checking her account we noted there was no prorated refund of miles for the second leg downgrade. Upon inquiry, the same agent responded in writing that the $400 voucher was the compensation and there was no refund of a portion of the miles.
Yea, on #1 that is a complete nonsense answer re: no refund since same day Y was more expensive. Using that same logic AA could pretty much downgrade anyone that bought discount business for any reason and refuse to provide a refund, since a walk up Y fare will almost always be more expensive.

I would reply to the email and ask again for the fare difference on the date of purchase between your discount business fare to discount economy. When emailing customer relations, focus only on your downgrade refund, forget about the extra EQM as that will come from an entirely different department and just complicates the matter.

If you get another idiot response, you can always try the AA refunds site. http://prefunds.aa.com , enter your ticket number and ask for a refund for the ORD-LAX downgrade portion.

Once the refund is settled, then call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal EXP desk) and for original routing credit for your ORD-PSP flight in business (which will provide 2x EQM). Just tell them your original ORD-PSP was cancelled and you were rebooked to ORD-LAX but in economy, leave out all other details about the reason for cancellation, etc.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:45 pm

I am a bit confused. In the sticky, the information was -

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "all partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)
Based on this, i was thinking -> so if i had booked HKG-NRT-ORD, I can drop HKG-NRT without impacting NRT-ORD, as the destination zone was not changed.

But then when i keep reading:

Originally Posted by guv1976
Originally Posted by melrowgo
I was ignorant of this option to drop a segment from an award flight. Are there any restrictions to doing this? I am trying to find a return biz milesaaver award from NZ to the US without success. If, by chance, I could find an award XXX-AKL-(USA), I could then call and ask and agent to drop the XXX-AKL segment without penalty or loss of the AKL-(USA) segment/seats?
​​​​​
The normal change fee applies if, by dropping the first segment, you change the award's country of origin.

AA EXPs are exempt from the fee.

So is the ORIGIN also a constraint?? In that case I think the sticky should be updated for clarity.

My apologies if there is something I overlooked.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seaweedburgundy

Based on this, i was thinking -> so if i had booked HKG-NRT-ORD, I can drop HKG-NRT without impacting NRT-ORD, as the destination zone was not changed.

So is the ORIGIN also a constraint?? In that case I think the sticky should be updated for clarity.

The whole thing is here-- the genesis of the info:
seaweedburgundy likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by seaweedburgundy

You are free to drop one or more beginning segments on an award, as long as doing so does not change the award's country or zone of origin. You can also drop one or more ending segments -- even if doing so changes the award's destination country -- as long as doing so does not change the award's destination zone.

To summarize: When dropping segments on an award, you cannot change an award's origin or destination zone; you cannot change an award's origin country. You can change an award's destination country, as long as doing so does not change the award's destination zone.
seaweedburgundy likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:10 am

Looking at potentially changing a first class award from LAX to SYD to a business class award on the next day,. (same origin and destination)

What fees am i looking at for the change and/or redeposit of miles?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by HolyTiger
Looking at potentially changing a first class award from LAX to SYD to a business class award on the next day,. (same origin and destination)

What fees am i looking at for the change and/or redeposit of miles?
The standard fee for changing award type is the same as redepositing the miles - $150
JonNYC likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic
The standard fee for changing award type is the same as redepositing the miles - $150
So just a single $150 + $25 (wife on same reservation) to change and redeposit the miles?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HolyTiger
So just a single $150 + $25 (wife on same reservation) to change and redeposit the miles?
If you were merely changing the date or time of travel without going from F to J, there would be no fee for the change. Downgrading the class of service incurs the fee. I strongly suggest that you immediately put the two J awards on hold at aa.com; then immediately call AA, and redeposit the miles for the F award. Once you have sufficient mileage in your AAdvantage account, you can go back to aa.com and ticket the new J award without incurring a telephone-booking fee.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Can I change a saaver CX award (LAX-HKG) that costs 37.5k to an off peak AA award that costs 32.5k without a redeposit fee? The class, routing, type and date stay the same. Also staying all oneworld. But technically a cheaper award.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:02 pm

If I have a flight in 10 days I want to change the date of to further out in the future (several months), does that incur a fee?

I see changing to closer date within 21 days incurs a fee, but cannot find if the above incurs one.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:40 am

I'm hitting a wall with trying to upgrade my award from J to F on my original routing for AA SEA->ORD, JL ORD->NRT. The agents insisted that the original booking was done in error, and that SEA->ORD->NRT should have been two awards from the beginning due to MPM. One agent tried to convince me that AA is doing me a favor by allowing me to keep my ticketed and confirmed reservation as-is. They would not budge about how the first class flight would cost two awards, take it or leave it. However, since my routing went through a couple months ago as one award, I feel like maybe I'm not asking the right questions here. Regardless, their official policy allows this kind of change. At this point I'm thinking of just paying the redeposit fee and rebooking on Alaska.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quitecryptic
If I have a flight in 10 days I want to change the date of to further out in the future (several months), does that incur a fee?

I see changing to closer date within 21 days incurs a fee, but cannot find if the above incurs one.
Nope, no fee to change to a different date out in the future.

Also, AA's close in 21 day expedite fee is based solely off the original ticketing date, not the date of travel. So there is not a fee for changing to a different date within 21 days, as long as the new travel date is more than 21 days from the original ticketing date.
quitecryptic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.