Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Award Change / changes: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, etc.

Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please feel free to add to or correct the information herein.
NOTE: For involuntary award changes (caused by the operating carriers), see Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads).

Ordinarily, one must call to request or make changes to award tickets.

Award changes, ordinary

NOTE: More extensive listing of terms and conditions are listed in oneworld and other all partner awards rules, Information 2015 on

Award carrier, connection, date or routing changes: As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made But:Airline / carrier changes incur no change or redeposit fees as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld airlines and non-oneworld airlines or vice versa.

E.g. an AA award such as SEA-HNL-SYD using AS can not be changed to use JL without requiring award redeposit. An award using AA LAX-HKG can be changed to JL via NRT or CX Without redeposit ing miles.

If Maximum Permitted Miles (usually 125% of the most direct available routing) for an award is exceeded, two awards may be charged

or

MSC fare requirements: The most significant or prevailing carrier, usually the one with the transoceanic sector, must offer an unconstructed fare between desired origin and destination; if a fare would require "married segments", two awards may be required.
Award validity: Awards must be used within one year of original booking. For travel beyond that, the award miles will have to be redeposited and new awards secured.

Award cancellations can be by phone or online, but online cancellation requires separate action to reinstate the miles. Canceling online does not request or result in miles redeposit.

Award miles reinstatement: Redeposit fees are waived for Executive Platinum members. See here for more information on award miles reinstatement.

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes and fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Co-terminals: For award purposes, there are no co-terminals; changing co-terminal airports (MIA and FLL, PBI; JFK, LGA, EWR etc.) will incur a $150 change fee. See this thread for detail on award miles redeposit.

An award using AS, FJ, HA or TN to South Pacific (e.g. AKL, SYD) can not be changed to AA or QF without requiring award redeposit (or vice versa).

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "all partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)

As JonNYC posted:

This document was current as of December 2014:
For permitted changes and fees, see this post in the airline partner award thread.

If the award is AA and oneworld, changes may be made as long as the main / governing /Most Significant Carrier makes an unconstructed fare on the award routing and the governing fare's carrier is not changed to one not offering such a fare.

Close-in booking fee: Changes made to bring travel to under 21 days from award issue will incur close-in booking fees of $75.

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Partner changes: If the award includes non-oneworld partners such as AS, EY, FJ or TN, or a oneworld carrier award is changed to include a non-oneworld carrier, or vice versa, significant fees will be incurred ($150).

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes abd fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account). However, SAAver awards canceled for AAnytime awards, or changing to a higher class of service, will not incur redeposit fees.

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

Close-in booking fee: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their account).

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.

Canceling Awards / Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

AAdvantage® mileage will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For tickets booked on or after November 1, 2018, AAdvantage®mileage will be reinstated upon payment of a processing fee for unused and unexpired awards canceled prior to departure. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card.

Award class changes: MileSAAver to AAnytime changes generally incur no fees; conversely, AAnytime to MileSAAver awards generally will.

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change).

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150 other than for Executive Platinum members redepositing to their accounts. If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR, though some less knowledgeable agents will insist so.

Note: given a 120 hr / 5 day hold is offered, there is no right to “Free” cancellation (without redeposit) within 24 hours of securing the award. OTOH, mere date changes to a year from Booking are free of charge in most instances.

Please see: State of the award reinstatement fee (Nov 2015 - clarifying)
FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)
Link to ARCHIVE 2017: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes.
Link to ARCHIVE 2015-2016: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes.
Link to ARCHIVE 2012-14: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes.
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Award Change / changes: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, etc.

Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:01 am

Hey FT peeps,
Quick question - I have an upcoming award booking(paid taxes) from Home-DFW-SYD-AKL(3 segments?). Can I change this to Home-DFW-SYD-BNE-AKL(4 segments?) without extra fee? Somewhere I read about a restriction on max no: of segments to 4? Would the new change qualify? Thinking just layover. Also, I wanted to experience QF metal, which my DFW-SYD segment is. However those are not available anymore during search(only AA is). Would the agent be able to retain that segment while making the SYD-BNE-AKL change ? If they cant and cancel or whatever and switch me to AA, would there be additional fees?

TIA

Last edited by krisk17; Apr 12, 2018 at 8:13 am
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by krisk17
Hey FT peeps,
Quick question - I have an upcoming award booking(paid taxes) from Home-DFW-SYD-AKL(3 segments?). Can I change this to Home-DFW-SYD-BNE-AKL(4 segments?) without extra fee? Somewhere I read about a restriction on max no: of segments to 4? Would the new change qualify? Thinking just layover. Also, I wanted to experience QF metal, which my DFW-SYD segment is. However those are not available anymore during search(only AA is). Would the agent be able to retain that segment while making the SYD-BNE-AKL change ? If they cant and cancel or whatever and switch me to AA, would there be additional fees?

TIA
There would be no fee to make that change, assuming the new routing complies with QF's routing rules (i.e. adding the connection at BNE doesn't require separate awards). A good AAgent will have no problem changing your SYD-AKL portion without affecting your existing Home-DFW-SYD segments. If you happen to get an AAgent that is unsure then HUCA.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
I'm not sure the best thread to post this in, but I share this to just comment on AA's system of releasing award availability and behavior of award seats released:

We had/have an intl itinerary in Jan 2019 (MLE-AUH-JFK) on Etihad in O (1st class apartments) connecting to coach (T) JFK-PHL-MSP (all one award, just wasn't U availability domestic).

Using expertflyer, I saw a better routing open up with U (3 seats available for each leg) (JFK-DCA-MSP) for the two of us.

Called American and moved us to those seats, 8 hours later on request changed to ticketed.

Now, what is interesting is what has now happened with the award bucket inventory:
  • the 2 seats in in T (JFK-PHL-MSP) that we released never returned to inventory (Expertflyer shows 0 seats)
  • The 3 seats in U (JFK-DCA-MSP) decreased to 1 initially, but now, next day, the availability has increased up to 2 seats in U
AA works in mysterious ways. Lessons for people are obvious - you cannot count on released award inventory being available again. Also, fascinating that after we used 2 U award seats that they then released another one.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:32 pm

I just got off the phone with AA to change the date of an award ticket and was surprised that the agent proactively asked me if I wanted to switch to a co-terminal (JFK instead of LGA, in my case.) I asked her two times if that would not cause them to charge me the redeposit fee (I don't have any status with AA anymore these days) and she confirmed it would not.

I ended up not switching airports because the LGA option works better for me but I'm curious to see if the agent might have been mistaken and if I asked her to effectively make the change to JFK the system would eventually charge me or if there's a actually new policy in place that allows this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:05 pm

I searched but most postings are few years old. Has anyone tried to drop a (final)segment of a booked award itinerary?

I booked an international one way award flight MAD-MIA-DFW but I would like to cancel the last segment to DFW. Is this still a fee free change? I called and I was advised a $150 change fee. The reason for the change is because a business obligation just came up and the only way I can make it is for me to cancel the last segment and book a separate flight to ORD on the same day.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by ahs2m2
I searched but most postings are few years old. Has anyone tried to drop a (final)segment of a booked award itinerary?

I booked an international one way award flight MAD-MIA-DFW but I would like to cancel the last segment to DFW. Is this still a fee free change? I called and I was advised a $150 change fee. The reason for the change is because a business obligation just came up and the only way I can make it is for me to cancel the last segment and book a separate flight to ORD on the same day.
Couldn't you just grab your bags in Miami and fly a different carrier to Chicago?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor!

Couldn't you just grab your bags in Miami and fly a different carrier to Chicago?
Unfortunately, I can only make connection on a late evening flight. The only available direct flight that make sense is with AA. I thought of just booking another AA flight with the conflicting time and just forego the last segment but I am afraid that AA might cancel one of the flight when they find out.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

It's an obscure rule so you may need to HUCA a few times, but you should be able to drop the MIA-DFW segment for no fee. Alternatively, have you looked at changing the last segment to MIA-ORD? Depends on the fare, paying the $150 change fee may be cheaper than a new MIA-ORD one-way.

Check the wiki here for details on what to tell the AAgent:

Dropping last or first leg of an award ticket - any repercussions? (merged threads)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
MAD-MIA-DFW ....to ORD on the same day.
Change to AA 37, MAD-DFW direct, then add DFW-ORD.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Perhaps a silly question. Can I cancel a DPS-HKG award and rebook the same flight with a different name for no charge? Assume that the award space is available (even if the existing seat does not go back into inventory). Essentially, is the canceled ticket under my name, or can it be used for my wife instead? My guess is this is a no-go, but worth asking.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:14 am

Just a quick follow-up to my original post (but different questions)...

I'm planning to make the change to my AA biz class award booking (on BA) and suck up the $150 change fee (changing the departure from ARN to OSL on the 1st segment).

However, I postponed making the change until I could verify the train schedules for my Sweden/Norway itinerary, and now the exact flight time I want is no longer available. (Oops.) I have an alternate biz class award flight on AA Hold (OSL-LHR) which results in a 5 hr layover in LHR. Before I make the change ($150), I just wanted to clarify that I would be able to make a TIME change to that segment (OSL-LHR) without a change fee, if a more ideal time becomes available. (I think the answer is 'yes', even if it's within 21 days of travel.)

Also, if I purchase a biz class seat assignment (thru BA) on the long segment (LHR-SJC), then make that time change to the short segment (OSL-LHR), will I lose my seat assignment, even tho' I am not changing the segment for which I purchased the seat?

BTW, the flight is at the end of July (3 months from now).

Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:37 am

Award ticket change fee if changes are made for different flight time with same date

Can anyone tell me for award ticket for using different flight time with the same date and same origin and destination, is there is a fee if it is done 20 - 2 days before departure.I know we can do same day flight change before 24 hours if the same saver award is available. Any help appreciated.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sproketz, please see below about voluntary changes. Time changes or time and date changes should not incur fees.

If you’re retaining the first segment and your PNR is retained, I suspect the seat will be retained. But a reissued ticket and PNR might cause seat loss.

@mkk588, Welcome to FlyerTalk.

If you made the booking farther out than 21 days, there’s no redeposit required. If you book farther out than 21 days but then change the departure to 21 or fewer days from the purchase date, that would require a close booking fee.

There are many nuances to award changes; the most comprehensive listing is probably in the Wikipost at the top of the page at AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd) (link). (Of course, your answer might be found in the Wikipost here.)
Old May 6, 2018, 8:34 pm

Award flight change on airport co-Terminal? (To merge)

Hi, I know aa allow you to change award flight without fee if both airports are the same. But, how about same city different airport like JFK vs LGA? How about close ones like SFO vs SJC? Any list which you can exchange?
Old May 6, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have AA ff status
Look here HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.