Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes

Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Voluntary Award Changes Questionsfor carrier, co-terminal, date, destination, add / drop a segment, origin, routing, cancellation AAnytime <-> MileSAAver and other changes

See the current thread here, please.

NOTE: For involuntary award changes (caused by the operating carriers), see Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads).

Ordinarily, one must call to request or make changes to award tickets.

Award changes, ordinary

NOTE: More extensive listing of terms and conditions are listed in oneworld and other all partner awards rules, Information 2015 on

Award carrier, connection, date or routing changes: As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made But:
Airline / carrier changes incur no change or redeposit fees as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld airlines and non-oneworld airlines or vice versa.

E.g. an AA award such as SEA-HNL-SYD using AS can not be changed to use JL without requiring award redeposit. An award using AA LAX-HKG can be changed to JL via NRT or CX Without redeposit ing miles.

If Maximum Permitted Miles (usually 125% of the most direct available routing) for an award is exceeded, two awards may be charged

or

MSC fare requirements: The most significant or prevailing carrier, usually the one with the transoceanic sector, must offer an unconstructed fare between desired origin and destination; if a fare would require "married segments", two awards may be required.
Award validity: Awards must be used within one year of original booking. For travel beyond that, the award miles will have to be redeposited and new awards secured.

Award cancellations can be by phone or online, but online cancellation requires separate action to reinstate the miles. Canceling online does not request or result in miles redeposit.

Award miles reinstatement: Redeposit fees are waived for Executive Platinum members. See here for more information on award miles reinstatement.

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes and fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Co-terminals: For award purposes, there are no co-terminals; changing co-terminal airports (MIA and FLL, PBI; JFK, LGA, EWR etc.) will incur a $150 change fee. See this thread for detail on award miles redeposit.

An award using AS, FJ, HA or TN to South Pacific (e.g. AKL, SYD) can not be changed to AA or QF without requiring award redeposit (or vice versa).

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "all partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)

As JonNYC posted:

This document was current as of December 2014:

For permitted changes and fees, see this post in the airline partner award thread.

See TravelingBetter.com here and illustrations here.

If the award is AA and oneworld, changes may be made as long as the main / governing /Most Significant Carrier makes an unconstructed fare on the award routing and the governing fare's carrier is not changed to one not offering such a fare.

Close-in booking fee: Changes made to bring travel to under 21 days from award issue will incur close-in booking fees of $75.

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Partner changes: If the award includes non-oneworld partners such as AS, EY, FJ or TN, or a oneworld carrier award is changed to include a non-oneworld carrier, or vice versa, significant fees will be incurred ($150).

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes abd fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account). However, SAAver awards canceled for AAnytime awards, or changing to a higher class of service, will not incur redeposit fees.

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

Close-in booking fee: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their account).

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.

Canceling Awards / Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

Award class changes: MileSAAver to AAnytime changes generally incur no fees; conversely, AAnytime to MileSAAver awards generally will.

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change).

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150 other than for Executive Platinum members redepositing to their accounts. If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR, though some less knowledgeable agents will insist so.

Note: given a 120 hr / 5 day hold is offered, there is no right to Free cancellation (without redeposit) within 24 hours of securing the award. OTOH, mere date changes to a year from Booking are free of charge in most instances.

Please see: State of the award reinstatement fee (Nov 2015 - clarifying)

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Link to 2012-2014 archive of older posts on this topic

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes

Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:08 pm

How long does it take miles to redeposit to the account after an award cancellation? I have been waiting almost a week now, is this normal?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by olouie
How long does it take miles to redeposit to the account after an award cancellation? I have been waiting almost a week now, is this normal?
No. call aa.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by danger
Before the devaluation I booked PER-xMEL-AUH on QF and EY. It is two separate awards (intra South Pacific and South Pacific to Middle East) but it is on one ticket and one PNR.

If I drop the PER-MEL leg will this be considered a change of origin, even though it's two separate awards?
I tried to make this change today. No-go.

First, my award was actually PER-xMEL-xSYD-AUH.

I wanted to drop the MEL transit and add a stopover at Sydney. I had originally been charged as two awards. I assumed those two awards were PER-xMEL-SYD and then SYD-AUH. But apparently not. According to the agent when it was booked in January one award was PER-MEL and the other was MEL-xSYD-AUH. She said Qantas only publishes one-way fares between PER-SYD and that anything via MEL, for example, would be two one-ways added together.

The end result is, the agent is saying that if you want to fly, for example PER-xMEL-SYD it'll be 20k in Y or 40k in J. Same, presumably, for PER-xADL-MEL and PER-xMEL-BNE . . .
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Changing Dates of MilesAAver awards

Not too sure if there is a thread to put this under but I didn't see one.

I booked three MilesAAver awards tickets from EZE-MIA-JFK for 50,000 a piece in J. I keep saying some availability on BA website for later dates but they are usually for LAN tickets operated on AA metal. Can I change the dates for these flights? Or is the only way I can change dates is finding availability on AA's website for MilesAAver awards?-Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by odie11
Not too sure if there is a thread to put this under but I didn't see one.

I booked three MilesAAver awards tickets from EZE-MIA-JFK for 50,000 a piece in J. I keep saying some availability on BA website for later dates but they are usually for LAN tickets operated on AA metal. Can I change the dates for these flights? Or is the only way I can change dates is finding availability on AA's website for MilesAAver awards?-Thanks!
You can't use codeshare flights for awards. prime flights only -- so you need a LA or AA flight to have saver availability
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
I just made a change for one leg of a multi city flight from QR to EY. The original booking was made pre-devaluation, though the change has caused my entire itinerary to (what appears) be re-ticketed at the new post devaluation rates.

All I did was change an F segment on QR to a J segment on EY, whats the fastest way to get that fixed, call AA while the the change is still "on request" or wait until after its ticketed?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
I just made a change for one leg of a multi city flight from QR to EY. The original booking was made pre-devaluation, though the change has caused my entire itinerary to (what appears) be re-ticketed at the new post devaluation rates.

All I did was change an F segment on QR to a J segment on EY, whats the fastest way to get that fixed, call AA while the the change is still "on request" or wait until after its ticketed?
I absolutely wouldn't be waiting for it to be ticketed.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Got a call from AAgent that my AA-operated LAX-NRT F no longer has F, and I was rerouted on DFW-HKG F on AA. This was booked pre-deval at 67.5k. However, they are charging the current rate of 110k (or whatever it is) for the involuntary rerouting and said the diff in miles will only be refunded after the trip. They say it's because it requires a redeposit and insist it is the new procedure. Does that sound right?

[EDIT] - now that I reflect on it, why does it even require a redeposit? I'm changing from a oneworld F ticket (AA + partner) to another oneworld F ticket (AA + partner).

Last edited by italdesign; Nov 8, 2016 at 10:14 am
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by italdesign
Got a call from AAgent that my AA-operated LAX-NRT F no longer has F, and I was rerouted on DFW-HKG F on AA. This was booked pre-deval at 67.5k. However, they are charging the current rate of 110k (or whatever it is) for the involuntary rerouting and said the diff in miles will only be refunded after the trip. They say it's because it requires a redeposit and insist it is the new procedure. Does that sound right?

[EDIT] - now that I reflect on it, why does it even require a redeposit? I'm changing from a oneworld F ticket (AA + partner) to another oneworld F ticket (AA + partner).
I certainly don't like the sound of it.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:46 am

Called back and confirmed it's another case of agent incompetence. Now a supervisor is trying to undo it. "A terrible injustice," as he professed.

I need to be more thoughtful next time. Shouldn't have let this happen.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:49 am
Suspended

Called back and confirmed it's another case of agent incompetence. Now a supervisor is trying to undo it. "A terrible injustice," as he professed.

I need to be more thoughtful next time. Shouldn't have let this happen.
Glad you called back! @:-)
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Originally Posted by danger
I absolutely wouldn't be waiting for it to be ticketed.
I called and did! A very helpful supervisor saw the error and corrected it. The agent I spoke to, "didnt see an issue"....glad I waited for a supervisor to review. #math is hard.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:05 am

Question on what to expect if I call to make a change.

I presently have booked a roundtrip which is booked as an anytime economy award on the outbound (20k domestic) and a saver business on the return (25k).

I want to change to outbound to a saver business one day earlier. Different routing. Same origin and destination.

My initial inclination was that this would require a different award type and would therefore require reinstatement and payment of the $150 fee.

Then I read:
"Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change)."

Does the above only apply if you leave everything else exactly the same? Is it a HUCA situation where you just hope you get the agent that doesn't want the money? Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Glad you called back! @:-)
Update 2 - supervisor was challenged by someone higher up who agreed with the first agent's action. So I'll have to wait until after the trip to claim the mileage diff, which I'm told has been programmed to auto-trigger after trip completion.

Both I and supervisor disagree with the prevailing opinion, but it seems we ran into bad luck. It is my belief that a friendly CSR would have had the ability to do an even exchange in a case like this.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:41 am
Suspended

Update 2 - supervisor was challenged by someone higher up who agreed with the first agent's action. So I'll have to wait until after the trip to claim the mileage diff, which I'm told has been programmed to auto-trigger after trip completion.

Both I and supervisor disagree with the prevailing opinion, but it seems we ran into bad luck. It is my belief that a friendly CSR would have had the ability to do an even exchange in a case like this.
What was the actual award and what is the re-route?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.