Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

Enhanced bin access (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld SapphireSM and oneworld EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by robin13
So I booked and paid for Main Cabin Extra on my flight to and from DFW-FLL. Going there no problem got the extra leg room and loved it. Coming back I get to my row and go to sit down and guess what; no extra leg room. Matter of fact the seats were so close together that I had trouble putting my carryon in front of the seat before me. I turned around and noticed that the people behind me had extra leg room and I asked them if they paid extra for those seats. They said no and then I saw that they were in the emergency exit rows. I then asked the FA what happened to the Main Cabin Extra seats and she says that this aircraft doesn't have any. So my question is why did they sell me those seats for an extra $37.89? I am assuming that they changed aircraft but I asked the FA if this was an older plane and she said no. I thought all of the new planes had the MCE on them so was pretty surprised. Regardless, I was told to fax in a refund request as they can't do refunds over the phone. The only saving grace about this situation was that there was no one in the middle seat. Has this happened to any other people and if so how long did it take to get a refund?
As American Airlines is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the announcement at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: NEW AMERICAN / AA and US Pre-Merger FORUM STRUCTURE. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by robin13
So I booked and paid for Main Cabin Extra on my flight to and from DFW-FLL. Going there no problem got the extra leg room and loved it. Coming back I get to my row and go to sit down and guess what; no extra leg room. Matter of fact the seats were so close together that I had trouble putting my carryon in front of the seat before me. I turned around and noticed that the people behind me had extra leg room and I asked them if they paid extra for those seats. They said no and then I saw that they were in the emergency exit rows. I then asked the FA what happened to the Main Cabin Extra seats and she says that this aircraft doesn't have any. So my question is why did they sell me those seats for an extra $37.89? I am assuming that they changed aircraft but I asked the FA if this was an older plane and she said no. I thought all of the new planes had the MCE on them so was pretty surprised. Regardless, I was told to fax in a refund request as they can't do refunds over the phone. The only saving grace about this situation was that there was no one in the middle seat. Has this happened to any other people and if so how long did it take to get a refund?
What row number did economy start from? If it is 7, then you were on an "enhanced" 737-800 (pretty sure all DFW-FLL are 738s) which only has 3 rows of Main Cabin Extra, probably due to an equipment swap. Since your original seat still existed on the new aircraft, you weren't moved to a MCE seat automatically. I'd definitely pursue a refund, if this is the case.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
so is this (MCE = 1st 3 rows) addressed anywhere on the AA website? is this on all aircraft on all routes.

I just noticed this when picking seats this a.m.
It's on many aircraft but not all. They are converting them pretty quickly and the seating charts are defaulting to the new one with 10 more seats.

I would avoid 16B/E, 17B/E and all of row 7 for a little while.

FYI - The old (pmAA as we say here) American's web site has an Our Fleet page, but it is horribly out of date. I am not sure very many aircraft have accurate seat maps on that page these days.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I just want to confirm one thing.

On an award ticket, which could be issued by AA, BA, or US, if I'm OW Sapphire or have AS status, do I get complementary MCE?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
I just want to confirm one thing.

On an award ticket, which could be issued by AA, BA, or US, if I'm OW Sapphire or have AS status, do I get complementary MCE?
Yes.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Yes.
Yes if it's available.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I tried doing a search but with no results. I have bought a fully refundable ticket for my daughter and purchased some "preferred" and some "MCE" seats. In looking at the term and conditions, am I to believe that if I cancel this reservation that the surcharges for the preferred and MCE seats are non-refundable?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:28 pm

I'm interested in MCE on multiple upcoming segments on MD-80. But the seat selection page all look like this:

The AA MCE page says "nearly all of our planes offer Main Cabin Extra seating, including... MD-80". Am I just unlucky to be on the not-part-of-nearly-all ones? It's not even showing any MCE for purchase, so it looks like there is indeed no MCE on these flights.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I just unlucky to be on the not-part-of-nearly-all ones? It's not even showing any MCE for purchase, so it looks like there is indeed no MCE on these flights.
All mainline AA planes feature MCE except for the 47 777-223s which will be reconfigured with MCE as they get the new lie-flat business class seats (46, since one has the new configuration). That includes every MD-80, every 738, every 757, every 763, every A319 and every A321.

Looks like it's simply sold out.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Looks like it's simply sold out.
For 2 flights in Feb next year between IND and DFW? Amazing.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:19 pm

I'm interested in MCE on multiple upcoming segments on MD-80. But the seat selection page all look like this:

The AA MCE page says "nearly all of our planes offer Main Cabin Extra seating, including... MD-80". Am I just unlucky to be on the not-part-of-nearly-all ones? It's not even showing any MCE for purchase, so it looks like there is indeed no MCE on these flights.
As can be seen in the thread title and wiki, this thread is for MCE eligibility and general MCE questions. Here is the thread you're looking for: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Regarding your question: All MD80s have MCE. In your case however, it seems that all the MCE (and most of the regular) seats that are available to non-status members are already occupied. You can try to getting an MCE seat at the airport.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
For 2 flights in Feb next year between IND and DFW? Amazing.
Two questions:

Was this booked through AA?

Are you on an award ticket?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Two questions:

Was this booked through AA?

Are you on an award ticket?
One of them booked via AA, the other BA. Neither shows any MCE or preferred seat avai.

Yes, both are award tickets.

The BA-issued booking does have my AS#, for which I reached 75K status yesterday. Not surprised if it's too soon for the system to recognize the status, but it is on the reservation now.

Originally Posted by Djokison
In your case however, it seems that all the MCE (and most of the regular) seats that are available to non-status members are already occupied.
Are there MCE seats blocked off for elites only?

Last edited by italdesign; Nov 22, 2014 at 2:33 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One of them booked via AA, the other BA. Neither shows any MCE or preferred seat avai.

That these are award tickets is relevant.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post23030001
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:53 pm

The BA-issued booking does have my AS#, for which I reached 75K status yesterday. Not surprised if it's too soon for the system to recognize the status, but it is on the reservation now.

Are there MCE seats blocked off for elites only?
Yes, there are certain seat that can only be reserved by elites. These can be both regular seats as well as MCE seats.

As has been mentioned, the fact that these are award tickets is very relevant, as preferred and MCE seats can not be purchased on award tickets.

If you're entitled to free MCE (Oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members), they can be chosen. As an MVP Gold or 75K you should be entitled to MCE for free as well. I would suggest calling AA to have this done.

Last edited by Djokison; Nov 22, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.