Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
If I book ORD-DFW-ICN-HKG-SIN now on AA F, can I change it later to ORD-HKG-SIN on CX F without incurring the new mileage requirements?
Originally Posted by igor82j
Can a JAL+AA award (say, LAX-NRT on AA F and NRT-CGK on JL) be later changed to, say, LAX-ORD(AA)-NRT-CGK(JL)?

My understanding is NO.

Routing must remain the same.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
My understanding is NO.

You could *drop* an LAX-ORD (AA) segment since it wouldn't change your award type. But you can't add a new one.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
My understanding is NO.

Originally Posted by mster
You could *drop* an LAX-ORD (AA) segment since it wouldn't change your award type. But you can't add a new one.
(Edit - See below for much better info)

Last edited by Zinc_Saucier; Mar 17, 2016 at 11:49 am Reason: JonNYC provided much better info, don't want to spread anything that's incorrect
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:28 am
Suspended

Exclamation

There's an extra layer of confusion here.

There is, at present, a definitive, authoritative and undisputed set of rules (NOT to say they aren't, though, complicated) complied by me.

Anything in any wiki or on any blog or elsewhere on FT on this subject can be ignored if it contradicts this info-- I'm right, it's wrong, in the case of any disagreement between same.

Here I compiled 3 links that cover this issue (or dropping, changing, etc) and this is 100% authoritative and 100% accurate as of NOW:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26083132-post808.html

Anyone who you find contradicting the info in those links is incorrect or misinformed or posting opinion and/or preference as fact.

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID; trying to explapolate from the list of no-fee changes as we know them NOW to a definitive list of what will be a mileage-increase-free change post-devaluation on an award ticket pre-devaluation is proving to be FAR more of an art than a science.

Orginally, it was assumed-- and almost confirmed-- that most anything listed that is free of charge now would be free of additional mileage penalty post-devaluation for pre-devaluation awards.

No one I know who's well-informed is currently proffering that as authoritative.

So, all I can say for sure is I sure as hell don't know. And, as an opinion, I say anyone who claims they know 100% at this point doesn't have any real solid reason for that certainty-- my opinion, of course, YMMV.

None of this applies to date/time changes which are obviously guaranteed within the confines of the current terms.

Last edited by JonNYC; Mar 17, 2016 at 11:49 am
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I currently have an award on hold YYZ-LGA (22h in NY) JFK-NRT in Y. Is there anyway to pre-select a seat before departure? I tried on the JL site but was unsuccessful. I don't want to wait till check-in because i) I frequently 'randomly' get SSSS and can't OLCI. ii) I don't know how well the JL/AA check in systems will handle my itinerary.

I don't want to risk sitting in the middle for 13 hours so my other option is LGA-DFW-NRT on AA but it seems that JL's product is significantly better.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I currently have an award on hold YYZ-LGA (22h in NY) JFK-NRT in Y. Is there anyway to pre-select a seat before departure? I tried on the JL site but was unsuccessful. I don't want to wait till check-in because i) I frequently 'randomly' get SSSS and can't OLCI. ii) I don't know how well the JL/AA check in systems will handle my itinerary.

I don't want to risk sitting in the middle for 13 hours so my other option is LGA-DFW-NRT on AA but it seems that JL's product is significantly better.
For the JL site you had your JL (not AA) confirmation number and weren't able? If so, maybe try giving them a call?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Zinc_Saucier
For the JL site you had your JL (not AA) confirmation number and weren't able? If so, maybe try giving them a call?
Yes, the number works fine and I can see my itinerary but I get this message.

Please note that there are some restrictions because the reservation made by other than JAL' reservation system.

It might not be updated.
It might not be shown all.
Unable to assign or change your seats through JAL home page.

Please ask your travel agents or airlines you asked.
If you made the reservation on other than JAL home page at Japan region, please call JMB award reservations and services.
I am not sure if this is because the ticket isn't issued yet or if it because I cannot pre-select a seat.

Edited to Add: Turns out I was using the Japan version of the website. Was able to assign seats on the USA version without issue!

Last edited by sadiqhassan; Mar 17, 2016 at 3:55 pm
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Edited to Add: Turns out I was using the Japan version of the website. Was able to assign seats on the USA version without issue!
Glad to see it worked out^
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:38 pm

The past week, it seems like JAL only releases 1 F per flight. They used to release 2F/flight like clockwork.
LAX-NRT has been impossible to even grab 1.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:50 am

I can find availability on the JL website but when I call AA, they are telling me they cannot see it.
Does JL restrict availability to partners?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Montacute
I can find availability on the JL website but when I call AA, they are telling me they cannot see it.
Does JL restrict availability to partners?

no but are you asking them to look for the JL leg first? if you add a domestic leg and don't have the proper layover time (115 min), it'll hide it from them.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
If I book ORD-DFW-ICN-HKG-SIN now on AA F, can I change it later to ORD-HKG-SIN on CX F without incurring the new mileage requirements?
Wait how many segment is allowed for AA rewards I thought it was limited to 3 or is it more than that?

Can I go YVR-NRT-ICN-HKG-SIN or YVR-NRT-HKG-SIN?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I'm running scan for every possible flight route. Seems like nothing nothing nothing. Best alternative is to book a routing via HND-HKG with "F" leg to hold the award price.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Here's as complicated as I can get.

I have. Y seat on SFO-HND and want to upgrade this to J, which currently isn't available on my required date. However there are Y+ (Prem. Economy) seats available. Can I upgrade the reward to a J award and take a voluntary downgrade to Y+? I would hope that sometime before my flight a J seat would open up and I'd be able to grab it at that time.

Would this be permissible?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold
a warning about voluntary downgrades

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
The past week, it seems like JAL only releases 1 F per flight. They used to release 2F/flight like clockwork.
LAX-NRT has been impossible to even grab 1.
I just discovered a new wrinkle in JL awards. I have an F award ticket HAN-NRT in J, NRT-ORD in F, ORD-MCI in F. Travel date is Jan. 25, 2017 ticketed on March 13., used 67.5K miles. I have a second ticket on the same date and flights for my husband, a J award. I am going to try to change travel date to between Feb. 25-March 13, 2017. If I cannot find an F seat on any acceptable dates I would accept a voluntary downgrade to J. I want to take the trip and don't care if I 'm in J to go. I would willingly give up my F seat. Apparently that would cause a redeposit of the miles and $150 charge and then a reticket at the new higher rate of 70K for J on JL. You can change the date but you cannot change the class of service without a big payment.

So just because you might find an F award on an arbitrary date to book as a placeholder ticket doesn't mean you will ever get to take your flight when you want to without paying lots of money and lots more miles if there are no F seats. You could take your chances and wait until 14 days before you want to travel for an F seat to be released but I cannot do that in my case. I have to book vacations at least 6 months in advance to give notice at work of time off.

I thought I understood all the rules about changing award tickets but apparently not. This will come as a surprise to many people who booked placeholder F tickets on both JL and CX. I'm contemplating taking the downgrade to J now, paying the $150 and getting back 12,500 miles. It would cost me less in the long run than if I wait until after March 22.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.