Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Hi, can I ask you how you can see point of sale issues in KVS? I'm running into the same issue currently where there are no J awards showing for BA. I have EF, but trying to see if I should pay for KVS to see this availability.
This only works for some methods but the one that helps with JAL Point of Sale issues is the "Awards/QF-OneWorld" method which uses the QF search engine to search awards. In KVS when you select the Awards/QF-OneWorld method there is a POS (Point of Sale) field available to change. The KVS POS default is Auto-OW I believe but you can change the search Point of Sale to many countries including JP (Japan) and US. I have seen availability using JP Point of Sale that was not available with a US point of sale. The default QF search seems to use the POS of the flight origin. It looks like you need the KVS Diamond Membership to get access to the QF search method.

You probably can get away without having KVS if you are searching for awards originating in Japan but KVS provides a definitive confirmation of JAL POS issues. I say you can probably get by without it for awards originating in Japan because the default Qantas website search seems to use the POS of the flight origin so if you find a JAL award originating in Japan available on the Qantas website search but you do not see the same award available on BA or AS the odds are 99.9% that this is a point of sale issue and you can get the award by calling AA Japan and specifically requesting them to search for the award using a POS in Japan. Without KVS you will have a hole for flights originating in the US. When doing a spot check a couple of months ago I have seen an extra award seat available once from the US to Japan (I have not checked often from the US so this might happen a bit) when using a POS in Japan and the QF website will not show this award because it searches US originating flights with a US POS. Using KVS QF search with POS JP will show those awards if available.
TravelLawyer likes this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Jul 10, 2019 at 2:31 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
@skimthetrees thanks for your thorough response. That completely makes sense. Maybe it would be worth the price to pay the short version just to see where I need to call.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
@skimthetrees thanks for your thorough response. That completely makes sense. Maybe it would be worth the price to pay the short version just to see where I need to call.
You mean the 2 month subscription? Yeah, that should give you a chance to see how much value you could get out of it.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:18 am

Looks like JAL flights are now available for award booking on AA.com, is this new or am I just late to the party?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Looks like JAL flights are now available for award booking on AA.com, is this new or am I just late to the party?
Started a few hours ago:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31292079-post209.html
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not really (at least not consistently)

Example: KVS shows 3 x F on ORD-NRT on 7/21, none are shown on AA.com

Not sure what this is about, but at least for now its safe.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I know it's not nice to say, but I'm sad about this...everything is becoming too easy to book.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I know it's not nice to say, but I'm sad about this...everything is becoming too easy to book.
Indeed, having figured out everything and having had to walk uphill both ways to school, I'm comfortable with the system the way it is - I know how to work it. If everything becomes bookable to anyone on aa.com, those F awards are going to be much more difficult to come by (80K for JAL vs 170/200K for AA, not very comparable)
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
They couldn't have waited until AFTER I booked my return flight from NRT? Gaaah.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
Not really (at least not consistently)

Example: KVS shows 3 x F on ORD-NRT on 7/21, none are shown on AA.com

Not sure what this is about, but at least for now its safe.
Showing on AA now.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the 2020 Olympics? Maybe AA was fearing being overwhelmed by the the call volume constantly checking availability if they didn't get JAL availability online?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Showing on AA now.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the 2020 Olympics? Maybe AA was fearing being overwhelmed by the the call volume constantly checking availability if they didn't get JAL availability online?
Its not showing for me still, logged in or not. Not sure what's going on?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:12 pm

Don't know. It's showing for me whether logged in or not. Simple search from the home page, 3 First awards ORD-NRT on 7/21.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:54 pm

I figured it out - the default option to only show AA flights was toggled, when I toggled to partner airlines I could see the JAL flights. Maybe a bit of a saving grace that they don't show with the default search options enabled?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:39 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by TravelLawyer; Jul 12, 2019 at 4:04 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:07 pm

There are still some hidden seats out there for those booking in the right country.
TravelLawyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.