Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 1:34 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by isabeloh
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I never get that far. The award search box defaults SEL to ICN via a popup/fill-in and doesn't offer either GMP or "SEL/All Airports" as an option.
Is there a specific date you would like to check?
Old May 29, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA G, UA, HH G
Originally Posted by KVS
Is there a specific date you would like to check?
That's very kind of you, thank you, but I found a workaround. While GMP can't be inputted on the main BA award search, it CAN be entered on an edited search screen after a successful search. Thanks again.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
So I've been using the KVS tool (using JL-Oneworld) and sometimes verifying with BA to look at award travel in biz or first 330 days out (May 2018). Looking JFK-HND but willing to do to NRT too. When I started checking on Monday and Tuesday of this week doing 330 days out it was showing 9 biz seats which I thought was a lot. The last 3 days it has 1 first and 2 biz and most of them go within 5 minutes of being released (checking at 9m EDT when seats are released).

Any idea why Tuesday May 1 still has 9 biz award seats available yet other days only start with 2? I'm hoping to get 3 seats in total and I'm getting pessimistic that I'm going to be able to find seats next week when we are 330 days out of the day I want. Anyone have any idea why some days have so many more than others? Also, I'm guessing it's in my best interest to call up AA about 10-15 minutes beforehand and throw some dates out that I know don't have anything and then have them try exactly at 9pm EDT and see what they can get. Anyone have a better idea? Not sure if we'll have the same issue on the way home but since staying about 10 days will have to book as 2 one way trips.

We had originally booked this trip for April 2017 but had to cancel. I had no problem calling at 8am EDT 330 days out (so almost 12 hours after seats released) found 3 seats each time. On way home even had 2 first and 1 biz. Seems weird that I could do that in busy April (7th and 17th) but in May having such a hard time.

Thanks for any help
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by rmc1
So I've been using the KVS tool (using JL-Oneworld) and sometimes verifying with BA to look at award travel in biz or first 330 days out (May 2018).

Thanks for any help
Others may have better, more expert insight but IIRC, AA saaver awards to Asia Region 1/JPN end April 30. May 1 probably has more availability because of the higher miles required for J vs the day/month before. Traditionally, I'd also guess that April is a less busy month in general, particularly relating to schools being post spring break and pre summer break.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:06 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by elsenor
Others may have better, more expert insight but IIRC, AA saaver awards to Asia Region 1/JPN end April 30. May 1 probably has more availability because of the higher miles required for J vs the day/month before. Traditionally, I'd also guess that April is a less busy month in general, particularly relating to schools being post spring break and pre summer break.
I don't think that comes into play here as the issue is JAL is not issuing many biz/first seats on these days. I just checked at 9pm EDT for 330 days out (05 May 2018) and they had 2 biz on JAL3 and 1 biz on JAL5 and they were all gone when I refreshed 3 minutes later.

I'm not sure if this trip is going to happen....
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:13 am

I wanted to give a quick update. I was tracking the JAL awards over the last week for 330 days out. JAL does have many more awards Sunday-Wednesday for JFK-TYO, having 9 in biz and 1-2 in first. However, Thursday and Friday had less awards: 2 in each biz/first. So if you are looking for seats, especially in biz/first, the day of week travel really does matter.

Luckily I was able to get 2 in first and 1 in biz for my trip on 11 May 2018. Some days the seats were gone within 5 minutes but other days it took longer. When I called AA last night at 8:50pm EDT I received message about bad weather delays in call center and I got a callback at 10:30pm but luckily the 3 seats I wanted were still available.

We are looking to come back on Monday/Tuesday so hopefully more seats will be available as per last week. Good luck to everyone trying to book.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by rmc1
I wanted to give a quick update. I was tracking the JAL awards over the last week for 330 days out. JAL does have many more awards Sunday-Wednesday for JFK-TYO, having 9 in biz and 1-2 in first. However, Thursday and Friday had less awards: 2 in each biz/first. So if you are looking for seats, especially in biz/first, the day of week travel really does matter.

Luckily I was able to get 2 in first and 1 in biz for my trip on 11 May 2018. Some days the seats were gone within 5 minutes but other days it took longer. When I called AA last night at 8:50pm EDT I received message about bad weather delays in call center and I got a callback at 10:30pm but luckily the 3 seats I wanted were still available.

We are looking to come back on Monday/Tuesday so hopefully more seats will be available as per last week. Good luck to everyone trying to book.
Great info and thanks for the update. I'll be looking to book a similar one way on JAL in J soon for a return NRT-ORD (luckily for a M/T/W).

The seats on JAL are released at 8pm EDT correct? So basically calling anytime after that?

Last edited by elsenor; Jun 15, 2017 at 7:04 am Reason: clarifying
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by elsenor
Great info and thanks for the update. I'll be looking to book a similar one way on JAL in J soon for a return NRT-ORD (luckily for a M/T/W).

The seats on JAL are released at 8pm EDT correct? So basically calling anytime after that?
Seats are released at 9pm EDT but remember that Japan does not do Daylight Saving Time so if booking Nov - March it would be 8pm EST. I called up AA about 10 minutes early and was on hold 4 minutes and then did have another quick question. I then told the agent what I was doing and what seats I wanted and that we couldn't do until 9pm EDT which was 2-3 minutes away. We chatted for a few and then I gave her a countdown when it hit exactly 9pm EDT and she pulled and saw the seats in a matter of seconds ^

Well, actually, that was the night before when I put a day earlier flights on hold just in case. The time I called when I really wanted the seats the automated system said delays due to bad weather and my callback would be 65-85 minutes. I sweated but luckily seats were still available after 85 minutes when I got the callback. So you may want to call the day before and put a seat on hold just in case as it's free and is good for 5 days.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:56 pm

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, but I wasn't able to find a thread related to what kind of benefits AA EXP might have on JAL.

I see this
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/oneworld/jmb_benefit.html
And I assume that we get lounge access also.

Does anyone know if we get advance seat selection?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:43 pm

Success! Well, sort of. I was able to reserve 2 seats in J NRT-ORD for the date we wanted, but since our final leg ORD-CVG doesn't currently have a saaver option, we have to plan B it.

I put the reservation on hold in hopes (unlikely I know) that a saaver award becomes available in 5 days. Not a huge deal since flights aren't terribly expensive, if saavers become available later, 15k isn't terrible, and driving the 5hrs isn't terrible. So we have options but geez I thought the international leg was going to be the tricky part :/
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:09 pm

I figured this is the best place to ask, but is 1h20m enough transiting time in a dca-ord-nrt itinerary? I'm wary of landing in ord and only having an hour, but it's a J award so that helps (a little).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by sempervivum
I figured this is the best place to ask, but is 1h20m enough transiting time in a dca-ord-nrt itinerary? I'm wary of landing in ord and only having an hour, but it's a J award so that helps (a little).
Flights can be delayed for many reasons of course but, yes, 1 hour 20 minutes is a comfortable connection time at ORD for me. If you want a weather proof connection guarantee then you would obviously need more.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Flights can be delayed for many reasons of course but, yes, 1 hour 20 minutes is a comfortable connection time at ORD for me. If you want a weather proof connection guarantee then you would obviously need more.
I agree. As long as there aren't any major delays 1 hour 20 min will be more than enough time. You will arrive and depart out of Terminal 3 (at O'hare) so there is worry about having to transfer from T3 to the international terminal T5.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Thanks, puts me at considerable more ease. This is for april travel as well. If there is a delay such as mechanical issues that causes me to miss my connection, do I take it up with JL when I get to ORD?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sempervivum
Thanks, puts me at considerable more ease. This is for april travel as well. If there is a delay such as mechanical issues that causes me to miss my connection, do I take it up with JL when I get to ORD?
Take it up with AA. If there's a mechanical at DCA and you're sitting around, try to take it up with AA then and see if there are alternate routings to get you to your destination that won't potentially leave you stranded (temporarily) in ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.