Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
75k is the separate ticket price. Did you find this by searching for separate tickets, including multi-city, or did AA show you HND-CTS at 75k on one ticket? If they showed it as one ticket, then the system priced it wrong and you should be able to fix it by calling.

1:55 is less than you would like for a connection but it must meet MCT for them to sell it and if it is on one ticket and you miss the connection because of a delay JAL will put you on the next available flight and you will end up with your 20 hour connection. I would just book the 1:55 connection.

As for why you are not able to book the 20 hour connection on one ticket. Either the AA system has a problem booking connections that long overnight, or there is a married segment issue. If it is an AA issue calling in may get it booked. If it is a married segment issue your options are separate tickets for 75k or choosing a different date with availability.
Thanks skimthetrees!
I think it is AA block the long overnight connection. I will try to call them to confirm.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by twkukoc
Thanks skimthetrees!
I think it is AA block the long overnight connection. I will try to call them to confirm.
Put the long-haul flight on hold now, so you don't lose it.
The agent can add the domestic leg to a reservation on hold.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 3:50 am

Tickets were issued on January 3, 2023 (originally booked with AA miles at the end of November). Glad this all worked out, thanks for the help!!!
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:05 am

I want to go to Japan in F or J with a friend for 2 weeks in September. I see no availability right now. Is it an idea to wait till the end of August or Early September and grab tickets? I'm flexible to travel anytime in September.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by osxunf
I want to go to Japan in F or J with a friend for 2 weeks in September. I see no availability right now. Is it an idea to wait till the end of August or Early September and grab tickets? I'm flexible to travel anytime in September.
The idea is to keep checking periodically from now until then. Not likely you'll see much movement until closer to the flight date, but you never know.

AA offers free cancellations on all award tickets, so you can always book what you can find now just to get something nailed down, even if it's economy or a crappy routing, then just cancel or change to something better if/when it opens up.

And if you have the flexibility to wait until much closer to the flight date your chances of success will increase tremendously, especially with JL. For example looking today, JL has ample F and J award space available over the next week on JFK-NRT, JFK-HND, BOS-NRT, ORD-HND, etc.
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The idea is to keep checking periodically from now until then. Not likely you'll see much movement until closer to the flight date, but you never know.

AA offers free cancellations on all award tickets, so you can always book what you can find now just to get something nailed down, even if it's economy or a crappy routing, then just cancel or change to something better if/when it opens up.

And if you have the flexibility to wait until much closer to the flight date your chances of success will increase tremendously, especially with JL. For example looking today, JL has ample F and J award space available over the next week on JFK-NRT, JFK-HND, BOS-NRT, ORD-HND, etc.
Thanks for the quick reply! Does Expertflyer track availability or any other paid site or is the only solution to just manually check AA ?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:59 am

Programs: Free agent
Thanks for the quick reply! Does Expertflyer track availability or any other paid site or is the only solution to just manually check AA ?
The AA monthly calendar can be filtered for nonstop, direct, and J or F awards. It's pretty easy to monitor. I'm sure you can use ExpertFlyer but the likelihood of awards showing up before T-14 is low.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I have done AAdvantage award on HND -(JL F)-JFK-(B6 Y)-BOS. At HND, JL was able to issue a boarding pass for B6, and checked baggage was no problem. Checked all the way through BOS and dropped off baggage at JFK Terminal 1 as come out as customs for B6 flight out of Terminal 5.

Does anybody have experience doing reverse routing, BOS-(B6 Y)-JFK-(JL)-HND on revenue tickets or award tickets? I am wondering if jetBlue at BOS will have no problem accepting up to three baggage 70 lbs. each for F or J and up to two baggage 50 lbs. each flying in Y.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Jetblue Plus
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You can hold an award ticket for 5 days. If you wait one month to try and change your ticket then the award space will most likely be gone by then.
So I was able to book all 4 tickets for my family was checking every day for open space lol. F for me and J for the rest.

My other questions would be will they let us use the AC in ORD? traveling from HND to ORD 5hrd layover final at BOS. I do the have AMEX plat so I can use the $200 airline credit for the club access but if I can use it for free be better use the $200 on something else.

this is from AA site https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp however been reading on some other posts they won't let you use AC on arrival.

Anyone have thoughts on this

Qualifying First and Business

Includes customers in First or Business on a qualifying departing or arriving international, transcontinental or other domestic flight marketed and operated by American, a oneworld® airline or marketed by JetBlue and operated by American.

For a limited time: Starting April 1, 2021, qualifying international flights will include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by teltehdog
So I was able to book all 4 tickets for my family was checking every day for open space lol. F for me and J for the rest.

My other questions would be will they let us use the AC in ORD? traveling from HND to ORD 5hrd layover final at BOS. I do the have AMEX plat so I can use the $200 airline credit for the club access but if I can use it for free be better use the $200 on something else.

this is from AA site https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp however been reading on some other posts they won't let you use AC on arrival.

Anyone have thoughts on this

Qualifying First and Business

Includes customers in First or Business on a qualifying departing or arriving international, transcontinental or other domestic flight marketed and operated by American, a oneworld® airline or marketed by JetBlue and operated by American.

For a limited time: Starting April 1, 2021, qualifying international flights will include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico.

can I ask when you bought your tickets and for what date? I’m looking for September dates and feels like I’m always looking no open dates
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:11 pm

can I ask when you bought your tickets and for what date? I’m looking for September dates and feels like I’m always looking for no open dates
I got the ticket back in 122522, for 1 F and 1 J ticket during that time I saw 4 tickets open, but only had enough points for 2, so took the risk hoping more will open up again. I got another AA Barclay and my wife also got 1 as well did the 1 purchase point show up last this Friday. If not we should have split flight 2 to ORD and 2 to LAX since during that time LAX had a lot of opening spots. I have been checking almost every day for the ticket. So for JL flight, the best is to look reward 1 to 2 weeks out they are plenty of them i was planning to just book a regular ECO reward and switch to J booking when is open but a risk have to take.

I also did look into sept try searching out of LAX they have alot more, BOS reward is nothing unless you do 2 week out.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott

Even more - if you are in F or J you should have access to the flagship lounge at ORD.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:20 pm

Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:26 am

I got the ticket back in 122522, for 1 F and 1 J ticket during that time I saw 4 tickets open, but only had enough points for 2, so took the risk hoping more will open up again. I got another AA Barclay and my wife also got 1 as well did the 1 purchase point show up last this Friday. If not we should have split flight 2 to ORD and 2 to LAX since during that time LAX had a lot of opening spots. I have been checking almost every day for the ticket. So for JL flight, the best is to look reward 1 to 2 weeks out they are plenty of them i was planning to just book a regular ECO reward and switch to J booking when is open but a risk have to take.

I also did look into sept try searching out of LAX they have alot more, BOS reward is nothing unless you do 2 week out.
Thank you so much! Going to try to lock something in
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
I’ve got a situation which I’m sure is going to require a call to AA but I thought I would ask here first because I figure someone has experience and can offer some advice and/or suggestions.

I am working on getting 2 J SAAver award seats from HND to JFK. I was able to get 2 seats in J on JL from HND to LAX for 60K each which I have ticketed. I figured I would keep an eye out for a separate connection to JFK.. I just found 2 SAAver seats in Flagship F available on what is my preferred connecting flight from LAX to JFK for 50K, which I have put on hold.

Is there a way to combine these two reservations to reduce the number of miles? It involves a partner airline (JL) and AA metal so I’m not sure. If so, what would be the award cost? From some quick research it appears that HND to JFK in J on a partner is 70K and in F would be 80K, but this involves AA metal, not partner flights, or does that make a difference? Would this ticket at the 80K level and I would accept a downgrade on the HND/LAX leg to J?

Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.