Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thread)

Old Aug 4, 15, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Link to earning AA miles on JL page on aa.com

Please see useful information including which JL affiliates can be used for AAdvantage award travel, Domestic Japan Awards, etc. in Post #1.

Please note the different earnings on international and domestic flight fare codes. Also note "JL flights 53 and 54 between Tokyo Narita and Nagoya, and flights 51 and 52 between Tokyo Narita and Osaka Kansai are considered international flights for the purpose of mileage accrual."

As always: Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Japan Airlines will earn AAdvantage base miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) (and after 1/1/16, EQDs) according to the AA mileage accrual chart.[/quote]

For further information see: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2016

Earning AA Award / "Redeemable" Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com[

• See post #1 for useful information on JL awards
    [/color]
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards 330 days out at 10:00 am JST / 18:00 PDT / 17:00 PST time
  • JL now releases awards 360 days out. However AA will not allow you to book them until 330 days out.
  • JL updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30715035-post810.html ) as it may be a point-of-sale issue

Please refrain from posting questions about AA award redemptions on JL in the JAL Mileage Bank forum.

Information from AA AAdvantage and JAL Mileage Bank fora.

For 2012-2015 posts, please see ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thread)

Old Nov 6, 22, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
60k is a partner award on JL. 155k is AA pricing on its metal.

You would be charged whatever the rate is for whatever flight you select. Unfortunately, expert flyer does not cover JL alerts to see if availability opens on JL.

What you're asking though is about not using the last segment. If you're not checking luggage, you could walk out the door at HND I suppose and terminate there. If you are checking luggage, you would have to tag it to HND. I do agree, courtesy would be going to the service desk and telling them you don't want to fly the final segment. You didn't receive any advantage of lower miles by ticketing beyond HND.
IIRC you have to pick up your luggage at HND and physically transfer it to the domestic terminal for your last (domestic) flight. Please check but I'm pretty sure I was unpleasantly surprised about this a few years ago.
Old Nov 6, 22, 7:30 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
IIRC you have to pick up your luggage at HND and physically transfer it to the domestic terminal for your last (domestic) flight. Please check but I'm pretty sure I was unpleasantly surprised about this a few years ago.
ugh. There's no transit belt and you have to re-clear security? MCT is 1:10.
Old Nov 7, 22, 11:33 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
We have 2 one way J award seats OMA-DFW-HND-ITM, return KIX-LAX-OMA on a separate PNR.
Now my wife wants to start our trip in Tokyo then take the train to Kyoto, whats the best way to handle this?
I checked AA now wants 155k to HND instead of our 60k
Simply go to the JAL service desk when we land at HND and let them know, are they going to care?
Since the outbound and return are separate tickets ignore the return ticket, it does not affect the outbound.

On the outbound you currently have OMA-DFW-HND-ITM and you want OMA-DFW-HND, correct? You should call AA and ask them to keep OMA-DFW-HND but drop HND-ITM from the ticket. The miles cost should stay 60k. They should not reprice for dropping the last segment in the same award region. If the agent gives you any pushback HUCA.
Old Nov 7, 22, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
Since the outbound and return are separate tickets ignore the return ticket, it does not affect the outbound.

On the outbound you currently have OMA-DFW-HND-ITM and you want OMA-DFW-HND, correct? You should call AA and ask them to keep OMA-DFW-HND but drop HND-ITM from the ticket. The miles cost should stay 60k. They should not reprice for dropping the last segment in the same award region. If the agent gives you any pushback HUCA.
What this poster said, in a more direct, efficient solution than I offered.
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
What this poster said, in a more direct, efficient solution than I offered.
Thanks
We have a conundrum
Im for keeping it simple - 5 nights at the new Kyoto HGI, 2 nights at the Roku, finish with last night at the Conrad Osaka
That is what I ticketed
She says no we will never get back to Japan - 3 nights Conrad Tokyo, 3 HGI, then 2 at the Roku which would require the AA change
Old Nov 7, 22, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
Thanks
We have a conundrum
Im for keeping it simple - 5 nights at the new Kyoto HGI, 2 nights at the Roku, finish with last night at the Conrad Osaka
That is what I ticketed
She says no we will never get back to Japan - 3 nights Conrad Tokyo, 3 HGI, then 2 at the Roku which would require the AA change
It's Japan. It's incredible. You can't go wrong with either!
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Nov 13, 22, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I am really surprised JL seems to be releasing *all* their F inventory to awards ~2 weeks out right now.
Enjoy while you can.
Old Nov 13, 22, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by lrdpenn View Post
I am really surprised JL seems to be releasing *all* their F inventory to awards ~2 weeks out right now.
Enjoy while you can.
Are cabins all flying 8/8? That's no fun. I'm always greedy and want to sleep in a different seat if it's 4/8 or less.
Old Nov 13, 22, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Are cabins all flying 8/8? That's no fun. I'm always greedy and want to sleep in a different seat if it's 4/8 or less.
Haha looks like it. F0 with all seats assigned on EF. Cant have it all I guess
Old Nov 13, 22, 11:05 pm

Talking Business on aa is first for jl domestic?

Is it safe to assume booking JL Business award on AA's site is JL Domestic First?

Also, if anyone is certain...CTS-HND (JL) and HND-LAX (AA) on separate tickets, 8 hour connection, safe to assume no issue transferring the bags and they will through-check the bags?

Lastly, if I book an economy ticket CTS-HND connecting to business class HND-LAX will I get the economy or business baggage allowance? Bringing my skis in Jan so I don't think it'll be under 20 kg. That's why I'm thinking about booking first, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Thanks Flyers!
Old Nov 14, 22, 2:30 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Same question as Noodlesz. According to AA a Biz Award ticket on a JAL domestic flight comes with 2 bags.
If I look at the baggage allowance for J class domestic flights it is only 20kg.
So either AA Biz awards are First class (45kg allowance according to JAL), or AA is showing wrong information.

Does anybody know if it's possible to select seats online? I've got JAL's record locator but my reservation is not found when I enter the details on JAL's site. (despite that a post from last year in this thread says it should work)
Old Nov 14, 22, 3:13 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Noodlesz View Post
Is it safe to assume booking JL Business award on AA's site is JL Domestic First?

Also, if anyone is certain...CTS-HND (JL) and HND-LAX (AA) on separate tickets, 8 hour connection, safe to assume no issue transferring the bags and they will through-check the bags?

Lastly, if I book an economy ticket CTS-HND connecting to business class HND-LAX will I get the economy or business baggage allowance? Bringing my skis in Jan so I don't think it'll be under 20 kg. That's why I'm thinking about booking first, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Thanks Flyers!
Domestic to international and vv require transferring your bag between terminals (altho they do say that some iternational connections you can check in in terminal 1 but you have to check with the airline if this applies.
I think you should ask JL about your question but if one two tickets probably no, if same PNR depends on their rules
It is not safe to assume anything about your domestic flight - you have to look at the details, btw there are very few domestic flights that have F and I'd be surprised if they are releasing for award - but best to check your reservation.
Originally Posted by kcaluwae View Post
Same question as Noodlesz. According to AA a Biz Award ticket on a JAL domestic flight comes with 2 bags.
If I look at the baggage allowance for J class domestic flights it is only 20kg.
So either AA Biz awards are First class (45kg allowance according to JAL), or AA is showing wrong information.

Does anybody know if it's possible to select seats online? I've got JAL's record locator but my reservation is not found when I enter the details on JAL's site. (despite that a post from last year in this thread says it should work)
If you are originating us-tyo the domestic flight will be tagged in the US but you have to do the transfer between terminals yourself so I think the originating flight baggage would apply
Are you sure you are listing the first JL flight # when you try to assign seats? Is your record is not found are you sure it is ticketed correctly?

Last edited by estnet; Nov 14, 22 at 3:19 am
Old Nov 14, 22, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by estnet View Post
It is not safe to assume anything about your domestic flight - you have to look at the details, btw there are very few domestic flights that have F and I'd be surprised if they are releasing for award - but best to check your reservation.

If you are originating us-tyo the domestic flight will be tagged in the US but you have to do the transfer between terminals yourself so I think the originating flight baggage would apply
Are you sure you are listing the first JL flight # when you try to assign seats? Is your record is not found are you sure it is ticketed correctly?
This is a separate booking, a domestic award booking on JAL with AA miles. Flight is operated on A350 (https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/aircraft/conf/359.html), it has First, J-class and economy.
AA mentions 2 bags, 32kg each, which is more closely aligned with JAL's baggage allowance for first (although it says 45k max, 1 bag may not exceed 32kg). But on J class it would be 1 bag of max 20kg.
But unfortunately I'm afraid that what AA mentions is not at all correct because I just found my booking by using JAL's international site: https://www.jal.co.jp/ar/en/
Status ticketed. I could select seats in J class.
Old Nov 14, 22, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by kcaluwae View Post
It's absolutely possible to select seats online. For future readers: If you're having difficulty pulling up your reservation using your JL locator, you might need to try adding your middle initial or middle name immediately following your first name (without space). Also, make sure you're using international reservation portal on JL for any AA awards (even purely domestic itineraries on JL). Worst case, you can always call JL and have them assign seats.

-FlyerBeek
mareh likes this.
Old Nov 15, 22, 1:38 am

I just booked a Domestic biz award because I got a small amount of AA miles that I wanted to burn (I won't be flying AA as much in the future and the miles were going to expire)
The fact that they were going to expire eases the pain a little but this is probably my worst redemption ever. I booked the Biz ticket because AA showed that it came with an increased baggage allowance but it does not.

Here's some info so that others won't make the same mistake:
- JAL's domestic J-class is more like premium economy. The seats may be a little more comfortable but you only get 20 kg luggage allowance, no lounge access
- AA mentions 2 bags 32 kg each (BA even 3 bags of 32 kg) but I'm afraid that the only correct and applicable information will be what JAL mentions (and that baggage allowance is the only reason I booked this ticket)
- Biz awards are double the miles of Y awards but the fare difference between Economy and J-class is minimal, proving that it's more like premium economy and not business. Economy redemptions are more or less in line with the TPG valuation of AA miles but Biz redemptions are not nearly as good. And if you compare it with Japan's low-cost airlines like Skymark the redemption value for both Economy and Biz tickets is bad. (Skymark's fares are inclusive of 20kg)

Search this Thread