Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:31 pm

Finding different, consistent online bugs other than one mentioned above.

TYO-JFK, no availability

same JL flight, change destination to ORD (TYO-JFK-ORD), there's availability.

Press to book:

Choose a different flight or fare

We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available.

Phone agents don't see availability. Phantom space?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Finding different, consistent online bugs other than one mentioned above... We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available.

Phone agents don't see availability. Phantom space?
Yes. It's been that way for months. There is still legitimate award availability out there - to include married-segment availability- but the phantom space makes it difficult to find. IME, AA.com let's you put it on hold then it's real award space.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Yes. It's been that way for months. There is still legitimate award availability out there - to include married-segment availability- but the phantom space makes it difficult to find. IME, AA.com let's you put it on hold then it's real award space.

-FlyerBeek
FWIW, I just saw JL 16 (HND-LAX) F space available. I was booked on JL 12 (HND-DFW) in J for the same day. I would prefer to fly to LAX and I strongly prefer F so I tried to book the LAX flight but I got the "please choose a different flight or fare" error. I checked AS and they were displaying the same award space, so I suspected that it wasn't phantom. I called AA (EXP desk) and they had no trouble booking it for me.

So while I've often seen this error for "phantom" space (particularly for Malaysian) it can also occur when the space is available and bookable. So it's worth calling, and also worth using another partner to verify award space. AS allows for logged out award searching FWW.
whkento likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
how far out?
It was for flights 2 weeks out. Couldn't book, couldn't hold, but both chat and phone agents got it done quickly.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
It was for flights 2 weeks out. Couldn't book, couldn't hold, but both chat and phone agents got it done quickly.
Exact same as my experience (but mine was 3 days out). If you want to be sure you have to contact an agent.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Running into a similar issue. Searching for LAX-TYO-MNL for March 7 on JL, AA site shows inventory (in first) that I can't book. Interestingly, Alaska shows much of the same inventory (and a little more) but in business, not first. Have tried chat and both the USA and Australian call centers and they see zero business availability that day. Any other tricks I can try to get this booked? Unfortunately I don't have Alaska miles to burn. Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bradfrancini
Running into a similar issue. Searching for LAX-TYO-MNL for March 7 on JL, AA site shows inventory (in first) that I can't book. Interestingly, Alaska shows much of the same inventory (and a little more) but in business, not first. Have tried chat and both the USA and Australian call centers and they see zero business availability that day. Any other tricks I can try to get this booked? Unfortunately I don't have Alaska miles to burn. Thanks!
Phantom availability.

If it's viewable on Alaska, it's bookable via AA via calling in even if the online booking system errors out.

If it's not on Alaska, it's Phantom availability and doesn't actually exist.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:20 pm

What time does AA release JL tickets?

Dumb question: What time does AA release JL tickets? Is the tickets you can see online still related to the timezone you computer is in (i.e., your computer has to pass 12AM to see the next day award)?

I'm sure this question has been asked in this thread but could not find the answer. Anyone can help? Thank you very much!
Old Nov 4, 2022, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Exact same as my experience (but mine was 3 days out). If you want to be sure you have to contact an agent.
I tried this contacting the agent method and they claim to have booked it but my reservation status still on "on request" and I get a prompt to contact CS to pay (neither my credit card or miles balance has been charged yet)

What was the timeframe before you actually got ticketed with a confirmation in hand? Did you guys also get stuck on "request" for awhile?

Last edited by TravelingPotatos420; Nov 4, 2022 at 11:53 am
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by TravelingPotatos420
I tried this contacting the agent method and they claim to have booked it but my reservation status still on "on request" and I get a prompt to contact CS to pay (neither my credit card or miles balance has been charged yet)

What was the timeframe before you actually got ticketed with a confirmation in hand? Did you guys also get stuck on "request" for awhile?
One was done within a few minutes, the other took ~3-4 hours.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: JGC / OW Sapphire
Okay, it's not just me.

I've been trying to book an award on the JAL (Japan) site and they have ZERO availability from now through June. Will try AS or AA...
Old Nov 5, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Plenty of availability (4-5seats per flight ) in February & March , J class , NRT-JFK

JL canceled the morning HND-JFK and is substituting it with NRT-JFK . There is plenty of availability at the moment, you could see the number of seats through BA and AS . AA doesn’t show any availability, one need to call AA to book it , 60k miles .
Availability for a lot of dates in F , only one seat per flight though .

Booked today with AA miles several seats in J and F for March 25th ,
FlyerBeek, saaveraward and icejan like this.

Last edited by s777bg; Nov 5, 2022 at 6:20 pm
Old Nov 5, 2022, 4:31 pm

Huge find. Thanks for sharing! Needed a flight to complete a trip and this worked out great.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
We have 2 one way J award seats OMA-DFW-HND-ITM, return KIX-LAX-OMA on a separate PNR.
Now my wife wants to start our trip in Tokyo then take the train to Kyoto, what’s the best way to handle this?
I checked AA now wants 155k to HND instead of our 60k
Simply go to the JAL service desk when we land at HND and let them know, are they going to care?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:40 pm

60k is a partner award on JL. 155k is AA pricing on its metal.

You would be charged whatever the rate is for whatever flight you select. Unfortunately, expert flyer does not cover JL alerts to see if availability opens on JL.

What you're asking though is about not using the last segment. If you're not checking luggage, you could walk out the door at HND I suppose and terminate there. If you are checking luggage, you would have to tag it to HND. I do agree, courtesy would be going to the service desk and telling them you don't want to fly the final segment. You didn't receive any advantage of lower miles by ticketing beyond HND.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.