Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by kuniawrx
Would you kindly explain the trick to booking using chat? I called AA reservation but the agent could not find availability and same experience with aa.com. Thank you!
You might be running into the phantom inventory bug.
I verified that inventory was available starting at T-13. Couldn't book any class of service on the AA site so went to chat. When an agent connected I said "Hi, I’m having trouble making an international award booking on the website and app. JL flight X on {DATE} for 1 passenger {class of service} partner award." The agent was able to see the space and sent a secure form for me to enter my payment info. My request was in the ticketing queue within 10 mins.
whkento likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hilton dia, IHG plat, Hyatt plat
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
You might be running into the phantom inventory bug.
I verified that inventory was available starting at T-13. Couldn't book any class of service on the AA site so went to chat. When an agent connected I said "Hi, I’m having trouble making an international award booking on the website and app. JL flight X on {DATE} for 1 passenger {class of service} partner award." The agent was able to see the space and sent a secure form for me to enter my payment info. My request was in the ticketing queue within 10 mins.
Thank you so much for the detail. I did see a lot of those phantom awards especially when including a domestic segment in jpn, in addition to a transpac flight. From how you booked, would you say that a phone agent has less visibility into partner award inventory than a chat agent? The reason for my asking is, after finding availability pop up around ~2 weeks prior to departure, i immediately tried both aa.com and calling reservation desk with no luck, but was able to grab the same itinerary through alaskaair.com.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by kuniawrx
From how you booked, would you say that a phone agent has less visibility into partner award inventory than a chat agent? The reason for my asking is, after finding availability pop up around ~2 weeks prior to departure, i immediately tried both aa.com and calling reservation desk with no luck, but was able to grab the same itinerary through alaskaair.com.
I would not expect a chat agent and a phone agent to see different availability.
I used chat because I was currently in the air and couldn't call, I looked at exactly 13 days before the flight at 8 PM Eastern and immediately tried to book through the app, which failed.
I confirmed via ExpertFlyer that the inventory hadn't changed since my first attempted booking to ensure I wasn't sniped. Then I used chat to book.
If the flight is bookable on AS/BA, it should be bookable on AA. Try HUCA and ensure you're feeding the exact flights to the agent. I even had to provide the departure and arrival airports and times, even after telling the agent the flight number, date, and class of service.
cartman7110 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
I am getting errors on an AA-issued JL award ticket. The flight is JL30 in December. When selecting seats, it always produce errors. Does anyone know the reason?

• Error: Unable to request seat 2K for XXX. Check
  • Error: Unable to request seat 3K for XXX. Check
  • Error: The selected seat cannot be reserved. Please select another seat. (4631 - 4360)
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by zig2
I am getting errors on an AA-issued JL award ticket. The flight is JL30 in December. When selecting seats, it always produce errors. Does anyone know the reason?
Are you selecting on the AA website or JL website? I have had that issue on the AA website so I try to use my JL ticket number to adjust on the JL website which has much better success.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Are you selecting on the AA website or JL website? I have had that issue on the AA website so I try to use my JL ticket number to adjust on the JL website which has much better success.
The "check" links in the OP are to the JL website, so it appears they were trying to choose seats on the JL website.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
The AA website is not only not allowing bookings on award JL to go through but also CX - tried to book bkk-hkg or bkk-dps (JL). Jl goes to red "flight no longer available...", CX goes all the way to seat selection then "page not found try again"

But then I go to "my trips" and 2 trips that led to "that page has taken flight" are now booked on hold???? What a mess!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:57 pm

Anyone notice every jal bus/first class is unavailable on aa ?

Says 2 seats available and when you check out it shows gone. Like for every premium seat….
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Says 2 seats available and when you check out it shows gone. Like for every premium seat….
Just call or use the chat in the app. I've been able to book 2 F awards in the last two days that way, despite the website saying the fare is gone.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:22 am

• Cool thank you
Old Oct 29, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
Just call or use the chat in the app. I've been able to book 2 F awards in the last two days that way, despite the website saying the fare is gone.
how far out?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 5:10 pm
umc

Premium economy

I see plenty of premium economy seats for SGN-NRT-SFO when I use BA to search for award seats on Japan Airline. However, I found none when I use AA site to search for the same route same days. I thought we can redeem premium economy on JAL with AA miles. I called and the AA agent can’t find any premium economy seat too. Does anyone know a way to get around this? I try to avoid the fuel surcharges imposed by BA.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 6:49 pm

I haven't had any luck getting phone or chat agent find availability for A/F class JL ticket even tho AA and Alaska Air are showing availability. Oddly enough British Airways wasn't showing up F award availability for same flights.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by umc
I see plenty of premium economy seats for SGN-NRT-SFO when I use BA to search for award seats on Japan Airline. However, I found none when I use AA site to search for the same route same days. I thought we can redeem premium economy on JAL with AA miles. I called and the AA agent can’t find any premium economy seat too. Does anyone know a way to get around this? I try to avoid the fuel surcharges imposed by BA.
I don't think it's possible to book Premium Economy on JAL with AA miles. Your only options are BA or JL's own program.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by jch636
I don't think it's possible to book Premium Economy on JAL with AA miles.
Correct.
I have been searching intra-Asia awards for a few weeks and saw JL PE seats available on the BA site but never on AA.com. A few days ago I called AA and the agent did some research and checked with colleagues and then confirmed that we cannot use AA miles for JL PE. She has no idea why; that's just the way it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.