Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thread)

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 26, 22, 8:21 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Link to earning AA miles on JL page on aa.com

Please see useful information including which JL affiliates can be used for AAdvantage award travel, Domestic Japan Awards, etc. in Post #1.

Please note the different earnings on international and domestic flight fare codes. Also note "JL flights 53 and 54 between Tokyo Narita and Nagoya, and flights 51 and 52 between Tokyo Narita and Osaka Kansai are considered international flights for the purpose of mileage accrual."

As always: Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Japan Airlines will earn AAdvantage base miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) (and after 1/1/16, EQDs) according to the AA mileage accrual chart.[/quote]

For further information see: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2016

Earning AA Award / "Redeemable" Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com[

• See post #1 for useful information on JL awards
    [/color]
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards 330 days out at 10:00 am JST / 18:00 PDT / 17:00 PST time
  • JL now releases awards 360 days out. However AA will not allow you to book them until 330 days out.
  • JL updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30715035-post810.html ) as it may be a point-of-sale issue

Please refrain from posting questions about AA award redemptions on JL in the JAL Mileage Bank forum.

Information from AA AAdvantage and JAL Mileage Bank fora.

For 2012-2015 posts, please see ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 26, 22, 4:29 pm

Thank you for your reply. I was indeed looking at the wrong award chart. However the direct flight from SFO on JAL only seems to have space in economy for the months I am interested in. It really is a pain that I have to do a one-way search for each leg.
Old Sep 26, 22, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Prim8Pal View Post
Thank you for your reply. I was indeed looking at the wrong award chart. However the direct flight from SFO on JAL only seems to have space in economy for the months I am interested in. It really is a pain that I have to do a one-way search for each leg.
Not sure what dates you're looking for, but at least through the end of the year, almost all of the JL J/F seats that were previously available have been snagged since Japan announced reopening
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Sep 26, 22, 5:00 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AS MVP Gold, AC 35K
Originally Posted by jix View Post
Is there still difficulty in booking flights that arrive NRT and depart HND? Seeing flights available and as does agent but system errors upon adding the HND segment for connection, I'm not sure if this is due to JL not allowing connection on (HND-GMP) still or another AA system issue?
AA actually called after putting in a NRT/HND transfer ticket on hold (under 24 hour connection), that the system will not allow this to be ticketed due to the airport transfer. Since the recent news hasn't quite hit government and Timatic system, I doubt there's much that can be done soon. Has anyone been able to ticket an award with TYO airport transfer lately?
Old Sep 27, 22, 7:53 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by lrdpenn View Post
Not sure what dates you're looking for, but at least through the end of the year, almost all of the JL J/F seats that were previously available have been snagged since Japan announced reopening
They're gone for the rest of the calendar with very few exceptions.
Old Sep 27, 22, 8:17 am

Thanks. I was looking for next year, all the way through June.
Old Sep 27, 22, 10:53 am

Programs: churning and burning
There are still F awards available a couple weeks out; for example F is currently open out of both JFK and ORD on October 10, which gets you to Japan on the first day visa waiver is available.
Old Sep 27, 22, 1:28 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by joejones View Post
There are still F awards available a couple weeks out; for example F is currently open out of both JFK and ORD on October 10, which gets you to Japan on the first day visa waiver is available.
There is a difference between normal award release and the 14 day F window. Any remaining F inventory for awards will be released at T-14 from JAL.
Old Sep 29, 22, 10:48 am

I have been searching on AA website everyday since the end of August for two one-way business award tickets from SGN to TUL with no luck. AA still listed first class awards with SGM-HND in economy. I did not like it as it still costs 110K. Then I finally saw one day in July that first class award comes with business, first, and first segments. Decided to try but kept getting the error that "one of the fares is not available". It seems like the website has not been updated with first class awards as the error happens for all first class no matter what day.

I wonder if I am out of luck for business award next July.
Old Sep 29, 22, 10:52 am

How do I search JL availability? I always to go AA website. TIA
Old Sep 30, 22, 10:03 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by anneok View Post
I have been searching on AA website everyday since the end of August for two one-way business award tickets from SGN to TUL with no luck. AA still listed first class awards with SGM-HND in economy. I did not like it as it still costs 110K. Then I finally saw one day in July that first class award comes with business, first, and first segments. Decided to try but kept getting the error that "one of the fares is not available". It seems like the website has not been updated with first class awards as the error happens for all first class no matter what day.

I wonder if I am out of luck for business award next July.
So you need July? There is not much Business in July right now to the US. I would grab F while I could and look to change to J later if it opens up. There are 2F awards SGN-TUL on July 2, SGN-HND-ORD-TUL, (SGN-HND in Business, HND-ORD in F, only the ORD-TUL in economy).
Old Oct 11, 22, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lrdpenn View Post
AA is not seeing more seats, it's a phantom inventory / bug that has existed for a while. It will error out when you select the flight. IIRC it will even show a different number of "seats remaining" if you select a different number of passengers.
FWIW this phantom inventory bug with F awards still exists, at least in some limited form. AA.com showed me phantom F awards when revenue A is available and only in conjunction with a connecting flight in U (and maybe Z). For example, I could find phantom space on HND-LHR-CDG with LHR-CDG in U, but not on HND-LHR alone. I suspect the website is still having a hard time distinguishing between revenue A and award A--not sure why JL switched from Z to A for F awards some years ago.
Old Oct 23, 22, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
No matter which award Y, C, or F I choose it seems AA.com doesn't allow me to book JL award anymore at least for me.
Specifically I am looking for a seat for HND-LAX.

I checked JL, AS, BA website and I can find the same inventory is there and it looks bookable, but only AA.com is not bookable.
It is a new bug???
Old Oct 23, 22, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
No matter which award Y, C, or F I choose it seems AA.com doesn't allow me to book JL award anymore at least for me.
Specifically I am looking for a seat for HND-LAX.

I checked JL, AS, BA website and I can find the same inventory is there and it looks bookable, but only AA.com is not bookable.
It is a new bug???
AA website bug. Ran into this yesterday - I had to book via chat.
Old Oct 24, 22, 7:13 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Still not fixed
cartman7110 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 22, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton dia, IHG plat, Hyatt plat
Originally Posted by JALsnipe View Post
AA website bug. Ran into this yesterday - I had to book via chat.
Would you kindly explain the trick to booking using chat? I called AA reservation but the agent could not find availability and same experience with aa.com. Thank you!

Search this Thread