Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by ReachMoon
Not sure if you read latest announcement. Basically you are allowed to book air ticket and hotel yourself and have a guide go with you. Yes visa still needed at this moment. But visa should not be related to NRT-HND transfer since you will not be allowed to board on plane without visa.
Interesting b/c when I spoke to a japanese travel agency yesterday they told me what I said and nothing about a guide, but that they had to book the air and I couldn't book it myself with miles. They also told me they expect a change soon but didn't know when.
Where did u get the info about a guide? Also you have to enter Japan to transfer airports so that would require a visa and when I looked at the evisa website it required the "invitation"/form issued by the travel agency. So confusing.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lonedaddy

Travelers connecting to an international flight

Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo PCR tests.
However, the following cases require entry into Japan. Please note that foreign nationals are, in general, prohibited from entering Japan for flight connections purposes.
  • Transferring between Haneda Airport and Narita Airport or Kansai Airport, or any other airports in Japan
  • Travelers with a connecting flight out of Narita Airport the following day
Additionally, for passengers transiting via Japan to another country, please refer to the Entry restrictions for each country and Quarantine Measures information.
Thanks for the information. My 2nd leg is from hnd to osaka which is a domestic flight. So should not fall into this transit category
Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Interesting b/c when I spoke to a japanese travel agency yesterday they told me what I said and nothing about a guide, but that they had to book the air and I couldn't book it myself with miles. They also told me they expect a change soon but didn't know when.
Where did u get the info about a guide? Also you have to enter Japan to transfer airports so that would require a visa and when I looked at the evisa website it required the "invitation"/form issued by the travel agency. So confusing.
Yes at this moment everyone will still need a visa to enter Japan. However on the official website, there are two ways to travel within Japan. One is you have to let travel agency book all the flights and hotels and itinerary for you , or you can book yourself but need to go with guide from travel agency.
Now there is a rumor that they will fully open for fall and winter. The news should come out in before October. Let's wait and see.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by ReachMoon
Yes at this moment everyone will still need a visa to enter Japan. However on the official website, there are two ways to travel within Japan. One is you have to let travel agency book all the flights and hotels and itinerary for you , or you can book yourself but need to go with guide from travel agency.
Now there is a rumor that they will fully open for fall and winter. The news should come out in before October. Let's wait and see.
can u give the url for the website you are using? TIA
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by estnet
can u give the url for the website you are using? TIA
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...tourist-travel

bloomberg has been reporting on it as well. the official announcement should be coming tomorrow (hopefully) but nothing is confirmed yet
estnet and cwoo like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
The wiki says:
JL updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
My understanding is that at T-14 any inventory in the A bucket will be released to partners. However, I don't see that for October 5th.
JL8006 has A1 and JL6 has A2 at time of writing. Is the time range listed above still accurate?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
The wiki says:

My understanding is that at T-14 any inventory in the A bucket will be released to partners. However, I don't see that for October 5th.
JL8006 has A1 and JL6 has A2 at time of writing. Is the time range listed above still accurate?
No. In my experience, it hasn't always been a perfect match to available A inventory opening to Z inventory at T-14. Just a decent likelihood. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:07 pm

Thanks. Looks like inventory was just released for 10/5 (T-13 midnight UTC at time of writing).

Weirdly enough, AA can see more seats than are available in A fare bucket.

Last edited by JALsnipe; Sep 21, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Weirdly enough, AA can see more seats than are available in A fare bucket.
AA is not seeing more seats, it's a phantom inventory / bug that has existed for a while. It will error out when you select the flight. IIRC it will even show a different number of "seats remaining" if you select a different number of passengers.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
AA is not seeing more seats, it's a phantom inventory / bug that has existed for a while. It will error out when you select the flight. IIRC it will even show a different number of "seats remaining" if you select a different number of passengers.
The screenshots above were from a search for 2 seats. The only difference between 1 and 2 seat searches was that for JL6 2 pax showed 4 seats remaining and for 1 pax I did not see any “seats remaining” message.

Are you saying I need to go higher to see the actual number of seats?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:58 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Is there still difficulty in booking flights that arrive NRT and depart HND? Seeing flights available and as does agent but system errors upon adding the HND segment for connection, I'm not sure if this is due to JL not allowing connection on (HND-GMP) still or another AA system issue?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:58 pm

I have been scouting for business class seats SFO to HND from now until June 2023. The number of miles required are way more than what is shown on the award charts. For many flights, it takes 500,000 miles or more per ticket round trip, when the maximum based on the flight charts should be 310,000. Did AA declared the award charts invalid? What's going on?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:15 pm

I have been scouting for business class seats SFO to HND from now until June 2023. The number of miles required are way more than what is shown on the award charts. For many flights, it takes 500,000 miles or more per ticket round trip, when the maximum based on the flight charts should be 310,000. Did AA declared the award charts invalid? What's going on?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Prim8Pal
You must be looking at the wrong chart if you are seeing 310,000 round-trip. This forum is for AA awards on JAL metal and those price at a max of 80k one-way for First Class from SFO to HND. You are probably running into AA dynamic pricing for flights on AA metal. Stay off AA metal and only on JL and the award price should be reasonable. Use the award calendar search one-way SFO-HND and return to find dates with JL award availability.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Datapoint: AA seems to have fixed the advantageous glitch where JL award segments were counting as elite qualifying segments. My last two domestic JL award segments (HND-CTS and AOJ-HND) this month did not post as qualifying segments. The other 6 JL award segments I flew earlier this year posted as qualifying segments.

-FlyerBeek
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.