Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Hi folks - I had an award C/J NRT-KUL (MH) flight canceled so AA moved me to C/J on NRT-CGK with JL. It's been 24 hours and AA say they're waiting on JL to confirm. Do these kind of changes typically take longer than that to ticket? (It's in December, so not soon)

I'm able to see the flight with my PNR (yes,I know that doesn't mean much) on JL's website and have chosen my seat up front; but I'm nervous they'll try to deny it - award space is no longer available (I assume at least I snagged the last seat).
Yes, it can take a couple of days and I doubt they do any of the manual review over the weekend so it will probably be Monday or Tuesday before it gets ticketed since the flight is further out. What does the reservation indicate on JAL's website? If it says something about your reservation is being held until xx/yy/202z and that date is far in the future, like a day or so before your flight, then you should be good on JAL's side and you just need to wait for AA to ticket it. If they don't ticket it by mid next week something has likely gone wrong with the payment and you should then call to get it reviewed.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Yes, it can take a couple of days and I doubt they do any of the manual review over the weekend so it will probably be Monday or Tuesday before it gets ticketed since the flight is further out. What does the reservation indicate on JAL's website? If it says something about your reservation is being held until xx/yy/202z and that date is far in the future, like a day or so before your flight, then you should be good on JAL's side and you just need to wait for AA to ticket it. If they don't ticket it by mid next week something has likely gone wrong with the payment and you should then call to get it reviewed.
JAL's website says Status: Ticketed. All segments show, and I can choose the seat for my JL segment. Can't view a Ticket # though, but I assume that feature isn't available on their site?
Note: HA side and MH side show it ticketed, and I can see a Ticket # - although it's the ticket # of the flight pre-changes.. not sure if it changes/should change.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
JAL's website says Status: Ticketed. All segments show, and I can choose the seat for my JL segment. Can't view a Ticket # though, but I assume that feature isn't available on their site?
Note: HA side and MH side show it ticketed, and I can see a Ticket # - although it's the ticket # of the flight pre-changes.. not sure if it changes/should change.
I have not gone that far down the rabbit hole so I am not sure. If you request a receipt emailed to you from your AA reservation does it show ticket numbers?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:52 am

I have 2 one way award tickets flying in business class with Japan Airline from Bangkok to San Francisco, via Haneda,Japan. This evening I received an email from American Airlines informing me my flight changed and they are not able to automatically rebook me, asked me to call.

I checked my reservation at JL, and everything still seems intact. It did change my connecting airport from Haneda to Narita. I figure it might be the reason why AA could not rebook me since I probably cannot go into Japan and make that connection from Haneda to Narita. I do not know if Japan will open to individual tourists at the time.
I checked the award on the day of my travel or a day before or after, it only offers coach or first class. The first class also only applies to 1 segment out of the 3.

It took me a long time to put the trip together, what is my options? I do not want to call until I know what alternative will make the situation more acceptable. Can American Airlines request Japan airline open award seat?

Please advise, thanks.

Any advice, please?

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 2, 2022 at 6:21 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readabilitytive
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I have not gone that far down the rabbit hole so I am not sure. If you request a receipt emailed to you from your AA reservation does it show ticket numbers?
No; AA isn't quite as good as UA with the options to email the receipt. It's been 48hrs now (over a weekend, admittedly). JL website says ticketed (although they don't show Ticket #).

That said, HA and MH websites do show a Ticket #, but it's the old one, so it's possible JL website is showing Ticketed, in error.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by lililolo
Any advice, please?
Are these on the same PNR or different? Can you be more specific about what was the routing pre & post change?

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 2, 2022 at 6:23 am Reason: Added quote for readability post merge
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Any advice, please?
Yes they can request a seat on JAL for your preferred flight. If that didn’t go well, they can put you onto AA60/61 from NRT to DFW and then to SFO

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 2, 2022 at 6:23 am Reason: Added quote for readability post merge
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Any advice, please?
When is your flight?

I had my US-CGK award trip from last October screwed up earlier this year. I waited a few weeks before calling, as my flights were a number of months off. Unfortunately, AA told me JL doesn’t give a F about rescheduling or opening more business class space. My last flight was still intact.

I had to connect in DFW from the west coast on AA metal, and then take AA to NRT. It took hours on the phone, as the first agent screwed it up, and was treating my original flights a revenue, not award.

I really hated losing my JL flight from SFO to NRT, losing one bag of my luggage allowance, plus getting up many hours earlier for the first flight connecting to DFW. Turned a 28 hour day into a 35 hour one.

I’d look at other connections, one by one. See if you can build a new award. Don’t be surprised if it’s pretty difficult. Good luck!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:38 pm

My spouse and I are flying back on award tickets from Bangkok to San Francisco in October, on the same PNR.

The original flight is BKK to HND on JL #34, with a connecting time 10 hour 15 minutes, connect to JL #2 from HND to SFO.

The changed flight is as follows: the first leg remains the same JL #34 BKK to HND, but the second leg is changed to JL #58 NRT to SFO. We remain in business class both legs with a connecting time increases to 12 hours 05 minutes.

I tried to see what my alternatives are by searching the award availabilities but to no avail. I thought the worst maybe I have to resort to fly coach. But if we have to fly coach, I would want the shortest possible flight time, but all the coach award tickets I saw are like I am going to a round the world trip, the shortest one takes more than 35 hours and 3 stops.

After spending a few hours trying to piece together something acceptable without success, I gave up but I have not called AA yet. AA did not give me any reason why the flight changed in the email, just ask me to call. I do not know what I can expect when I call. We are willing to fly back a day earlier, open to any route if we can keep our business seats. If only I can change the first leg arriving at NRT, instead of HND, then we would be super happy. Or Japan opens up by then but it's probably wistful thinking. Japan airlines still shows we are ticketed, but it just no way for us to travel from Haneda to Narita. Or I should wait, will flight/seat opens up closer to departure time?

Any input/advice? Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
My spouse and I are flying back on award tickets from Bangkok to San Francisco in October, on the same PNR.

The original flight is BKK to HND on JL #34, with a connecting time 10 hour 15 minutes, connect to JL #2 from HND to SFO.

The changed flight is as follows: the first leg remains the same JL #34 BKK to HND, but the second leg is changed to JL #58 NRT to SFO. We remain in business class both legs with a connecting time increases to 12 hours 05 minutes.

I tried to see what my alternatives are by searching the award availabilities but to no avail. I thought the worst maybe I have to resort to fly coach. But if we have to fly coach, I would want the shortest possible flight time, but all the coach award tickets I saw are like I am going to a round the world trip, the shortest one takes more than 35 hours and 3 stops.

After spending a few hours trying to piece together something acceptable without success, I gave up but I have not called AA yet. AA did not give me any reason why the flight changed in the email, just ask me to call. I do not know what I can expect when I call. We are willing to fly back a day earlier, open to any route if we can keep our business seats. If only I can change the first leg arriving at NRT, instead of HND, then we would be super happy. Or Japan opens up by then but it's probably wistful thinking. Japan airlines still shows we are ticketed, but it just no way for us to travel from Haneda to Narita. Or I should wait, will flight/seat opens up closer to departure time?

Hey, if you’re a gambler, you could just show up for your first flight and see what happens.

At least you have some time. I do like JL F or J flights a lot. Has CX started flying the route?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR

Maybe this is obvious, but you should see if AA can get JL to open up award space on JL718 or JL708 BKK-NRT, so that you're connecting in NRT instead?

I looked at random dates in October and JL2 is still on the schedule M,T,Th,Sa so perhaps the frequency changed and they're not operating that flight on the day you were traveling? If you're flexible on days you could ask to see if they'll rebook you on a day that it operates.

My recent experience with a messed up partner award was that AA's initial reaction was to move me to their own metal, where they obviously have better control of inventory. But after pushing back they found another option on a partner. Now, I have no idea if that's because space was available or if they finagled something, but it involved the agent calling their "help desk" who came up with the final suggestion. I spent an hour on the phone for this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:30 am

The good news is you are on one PNR all on JAL and JAL broke it so they should be able to work with AA to fix it if it is possible to fix and it looks like it is. You will probably not have much luck searching for award availability on your own at this point but JAL should be able to open space on their own metal to accommodate you if you request it through the proper channel. The proper channel is AA but they cannot do it on their own, they need to put in a request to their JAL liaison to do it and it helps if you can tell them what you need to fix it. In your case it looks like there is a JL flight JL708 BKK-NRT that arrives in time to connect to your JL58 to SFO. What you need to do is call AA (if they gave you a special number to call use that, otherwise call the main Advantage number), tell them that JAL broke your trip and to please put in a request to their JAL liaison to request they open up award space and put you on JL708 (instead of JL34), still connecting to your JL58. The request will probably take a couple of days to process but JAL should accommodate you if you request in this way since they broke your trip.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Aug 2, 2022 at 9:40 am
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Honors Diamond
Excessive ticketing delays

We have round trip award seats to/from the US and Tokyo in October 2022. They were originally booked/ticketed back in late 2021, but there was a schedule change within the last month or so that required us to call AA to re-ticket. The outbound flight required us picking a new US gateway city, whereas on the inbound we simply accepted the changed flight time dictated by JAL. Both of these tickets have been marked as "On Request" for 2 full weeks at this point. I called the ExecPlat desk last week and they looked into one of these tickets and everything "looked good" from their end. Is anyone else facing excessive ticketing delays? I don't want to end up losing the seats because this drags on and on
Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:11 pm

An update on my changed flight:

I called AA and talked to an agent and she told me she still saw my second segment from HND to SFO operating and she did not understand why JAL moved me from HND to NRT. I was put on hold for a long time before she came back and asked me what my preferred alternative? I told her I am willing to take the same itineraries a day earlier as long as we did not lose our j seats. Another long hold and she told me she put in a request to JAL and just have to wait for the response. She told me to call back if I did not hear anything. The whole call took a little over an hour.

I called on 8/3 and on 8/5 I saw the changes on JAL website. Everything is good again and I hope no more drama from this point forward to the completion of my trip.

I thank everyone for taking the time to advise and I appreciate it.

I wish everyone a safe and good Summer.
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:32 pm

An update on my changed flight:

I called AA and talked to an agent and she told me she still saw my second segment from HND to SFO operating and she did not understand why JAL moved me from HND to NRT. I was put on hold for a long time before she came back and asked me what my preferred alternative? I told her I am willing to take the same itineraries a day earlier as long as we did not lose our j seats. Another long hold and she told me she put in a request to JAL and just have to wait for the response. She told me to call back if I did not hear anything. The whole call took a little over an hour.

I called on 8/3 and on 8/5 I saw the changes on JAL website. Everything is good again and I hope no more drama from this point forward to the completion of my trip.

I thank everyone for taking the time to advise and I appreciate it.

I wish everyone a safe and good Summer.
I am glad it worked out. Make sure to confirm the reservation is showing up on AA as ticketed with the new itinerary and you should be good to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.