Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by guwinster
I (as is often the case) am really annoyed with AA awards availability.

I can find lots of Awards availability (including some really good deals) from the US to NRT/HND. I can also find awards availability from NRT/HND to BKK (available on every single day, from now until eternity). However, I can't find any US to BKK availability. Does anyone have tips for this situation?

If I book a US - Tokyo awards ticket and a separate Tokyo - BKK awards ticket, can I later call AA and have them combine those tickets? I doubt this would work, but could I have them combine the itineraries at the US - Asia 1/2 mileage rate (as opposed to paying the US - Asia 1 AND also the separate Asia 1 - Asia 2 rates combined)? The AA awards fare rules allow transits through Asia 1 on the way to Asia 2 (and I see some limited availability for other destinations like JKT/MNL), but has anyone had success actually getting the AA call center to do that?
Choose a different date. Towards the end of schedule there is lot of availability US-BKK. 5/22 LAX-BKK, 5/23 JFK-BKK.

JAL has a version of the married segment availability which is more like divorced availability, for some flights they do not allow a marriage. It appears that on the BKK route they do not allow marriages for a large date range currently. You can either do two awards or book a date where they do allow married segments (like the examples above). I seem to recall in JAL's own program they break all awards in Japan so this may be why they are using this kind of divorced logic.
blug likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Choose a different date. Towards the end of schedule there is lot of availability US-BKK. 5/22 LAX-BKK, 5/23 JFK-BKK.

JAL has a version of the married segment availability which is more like divorced availability, for some flights they do not allow a marriage. It appears that on the BKK route they do not allow marriages for a large date range currently. You can either do two awards or book a date where they do allow married segments (like the examples above). I seem to recall in JAL's own program they break all awards in Japan so this may be why they are using this kind of divorced logic.
I was trying to book JFK - HND - SIN near the end of the schedule. Wouldn't work. On the same dates, I found BOS - NRT - SIN. Let me book it for 70k.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:09 pm

The most recent post I found on cancelling a JAL award booked with AA miles said the person got a pop-up that their miles would reinstate in 48 hours. When I did my cancellation, the message said my miles had been refunded as though it was inmmediate. They don't show in my balance but they show in my activity. Is it a matter of waiting a few days, or will I need to phone in or contact the Twitter team? Thank you.

Edit: In case it helps anyone, it wasn't immediate, but my miles and credits for the taxes returned on their own.

Last edited by mareh; Jul 10, 2022 at 5:42 am
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees

I found something interesting. Trying to book my return flight I found availability with AA for SIN - HND and then separate HND - JFK with a 5 hour layover. But again, only if I booked the segments separate. Same thing happened when searching through BA. But Asia Miles(Cathy Pacific) was able to book the whole thing through on one itinerary. So I transferred Amex points there and booked for 90K instead of the 70K AA miles that my outbound BOS - NRT - SIN flight was.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Justin Volzer
I found something interesting. Trying to book my return flight I found availability with AA for SIN - HND and then separate HND - JFK with a 5 hour layover. But again, only if I booked the segments separate. Same thing happened when searching through BA. But Asia Miles(Cathy Pacific) was able to book the whole thing through on one itinerary. So I transferred Amex points there and booked for 90K instead of the 70K AA miles that my outbound BOS - NRT - SIN flight was.
That is interesting and a good backup option if you can get points into CX.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:53 pm

AAdvantage Award free cancellation?

Hi there,

I'm very confused by AA's policy on cancelling award tickets with partners. Are cancellations free?

This is what I see in the fare rules on AA.com for a Japan to Taiwan AAdvantage award on JL:
Award Type T20PKI

BEFORE TRAVEL BEGINS - MILEAGE MAY BE REINSTATED WITHIN 1 YEAR FROM ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE DATE IF MILES HAVE NOT EXPIRED - USD 150.00 REINSTATEMENT CHARGE APPLIES.
I would like to book a flight near the end of the reservation window for possible trip next year but want to ensure I can cancel without penalty if the trip falls through due to Covid, etc.

Thanks,
mjt49
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mjt49
Hi there,

I'm very confused by AA's policy on cancelling award tickets with partners. Are cancellations free?

This is what I see in the fare rules on AA.com for a Japan to Taiwan AAdvantage award on JL:
Award Type T20PKI

BEFORE TRAVEL BEGINS - MILEAGE MAY BE REINSTATED WITHIN 1 YEAR FROM ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE DATE IF MILES HAVE NOT EXPIRED - USD 150.00 REINSTATEMENT CHARGE APPLIES.
I would like to book a flight near the end of the reservation window for possible trip next year but want to ensure I can cancel without penalty if the trip falls through due to Covid, etc.

Thanks,
mjt49
AA offers free cancellations on all award tickets, including partners, as long as you cancel by the scheduled departure time.

The 'fare rules' link on award tickets is meaningless, completely disregard that, hasn't been updated in years and has no tie to the actual cancelation and refund policy.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
FYI, JL66 NRT-SAN a few days ago, half of the J cabin was empty (every 2 seats had 1 seat unoccupied), looked every day for availability in the 2 weeks before departure, never saw J open.

.......s.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA offers free cancellations on all award tickets, including partners, as long as you cancel by the scheduled departure time.

The 'fare rules' link on award tickets is meaningless, completely disregard that, hasn't been updated in years and has no tie to the actual cancelation and refund policy.
Thank you for clarifying! Parsing AA's website is a bit like trying to read the tax code.

Follow-up question: how likely is it that if I cancel the award online, the miles and taxes will be automatically refunded without having to call in? It seems like this is handled very inconsistently from reading other threads and varies by award partner, phase of the moon, etc.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
In the same boat and about to cancel a Japan Airlines award

Originally Posted by mjt49
Follow-up question: how likely is it that if I cancel the award online, the miles and taxes will be automatically refunded without having to call in? It seems like this is handled very inconsistently from reading other threads and varies by award partner, phase of the moon, etc.
Two years ago, I got a full refund of miles back to my account and taxes back to my original cc when Japan closed due to covid. This was for a rt biz-class award on JL. It took a while as I recall, but I did not have to pester AA.

In Sept 2021, I rebooked the same Japan Airlines trip with AA miles. Departure is August 8, 2022. It is summer 2022, and I never thought tourism travel to Japan would be "still" be impractical due to covid. Now I will have cancel AGAIN! I'd rather re-book to Korea because they are open (with some restrictions). I could not seem to make a Japan Airlines SAN-(NRT)-PUS routing work for 2023 award travel. Maybe I can find a decent USA-Seoul routing on AA. I always liked those low-mileage cost biz-class Saver Awards to Japan or Korea.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 15, 2022 at 11:12 pm
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:08 pm
amm

If that's the case then there's not much you can do other than book it as 2 awards (but they still should be able to combine the 2 awards into the same PNR).
Came in here to ask a similar question and hoping for some clarification. I’ve got JFK-HND and HND-SIN booked on separate awards in December. Am I following correctly that I can call AA to combine into one PNR? Don’t imagine it’ll be a huge deal either way but worried about transiting at HND (about a 6 hour layover).
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by amm
Came in here to ask a similar question and hoping for some clarification. I’ve got JFK-HND and HND-SIN booked on separate awards in December. Am I following correctly that I can call AA to combine into one PNR? Don’t imagine it’ll be a huge deal either way but worried about transiting at HND (about a 6 hour layover).
There shouldn't be a problem combining awards. And don't worry about a 6 hour layover - even overnight transit is allowed there unlike NRT which actually closes.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by amm
Originally Posted by estnet
There shouldn't be a problem combining awards. And don't worry about a 6 hour layover - even overnight transit is allowed there unlike NRT which actually closes.
No no, you cannot just combine PNRs like that. Not possible.

If there is still award availability on one or both flights you can try calling AA to change one reservation to add the other flight. For example if HND-SIN is still available, call AA, give them your JFK-HND PNR, and ask to add the HND-SIN segment.

But again there must be award availability on the other segment, and this kind of request can get complicated with married segment availability and agent inexperience. If JFK-HND was available only by itself then they won't be able to add anything to it.

And while a 6 hr overnight transit at HND is of course no problem I'm guessing the potential issue is that on separate reservations will JL see this as only JFK-HND and try to enforce any Japan covid entry requirements, etc. I would search/ask over on the JL and Japan forums as I'm sure this isn't the first time it's come up.
amm likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
And while a 6 hr overnight transit at HND is of course no problem I'm guessing the potential issue is that on separate reservations will JL see this as only JFK-HND and try to enforce any Japan covid entry requirements, etc. I would search/ask over on the JL and Japan forums as I'm sure this isn't the first time it's come up.
This won't be an issue as long as there's confirmed onward travel from Japan. JL or Japan itself doesn't care if it's on separate PNRs. Overnight transits are fine in HND (just not NRT) but unless the current rules change the traveler must remain airside during the transit.

-FlyerBeek
JJeffrey and amm like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:02 pm
amm

Thanks FlyerBeek and JJeffrey!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.