Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thread)

Old Aug 4, 15, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Link to earning AA miles on JL page on aa.com

Please see useful information including which JL affiliates can be used for AAdvantage award travel, Domestic Japan Awards, etc. in Post #1.

Please note the different earnings on international and domestic flight fare codes. Also note "JL flights 53 and 54 between Tokyo Narita and Nagoya, and flights 51 and 52 between Tokyo Narita and Osaka Kansai are considered international flights for the purpose of mileage accrual."

As always: Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Japan Airlines will earn AAdvantage base miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) (and after 1/1/16, EQDs) according to the AA mileage accrual chart.[/quote]

For further information see: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2016

Earning AA Award / "Redeemable" Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com[

• See post #1 for useful information on JL awards
    [/color]
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards 330 days out at 10:00 am JST / 18:00 PDT / 17:00 PST time
  • JL now releases awards 360 days out. However AA will not allow you to book them until 330 days out.
  • JL updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30715035-post810.html ) as it may be a point-of-sale issue

Please refrain from posting questions about AA award redemptions on JL in the JAL Mileage Bank forum.

Information from AA AAdvantage and JAL Mileage Bank fora.

For 2012-2015 posts, please see ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thread)

Old Jul 1, 22, 4:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
There's absolutely nothing stopping you from exiting at JFK and doing whatever you want. Even if your flight was JFK-ORD, it wouldn't matter. In the US you ALWAYS clear immigration, pickup your bags, and then clear customs at the first port of entry. There are a few oddball airports like IAD that make it more difficult but most definitely not impossible even there.

Some INT-INT connections allow through checked bags that don't require you to pick them up at your US point of transfer, but you still always clear immigration and customs with at least your carry on bags.

People will tell you don't make a habit of it. Don't cancel the LGA-ORD flights until you've arrived at JFK, and then do it on the app or just simply no-show. (best to cancel if you can so your seat can be given as an upgrade to someone else). It's called hidden city ticketing, and is against any airline's TOS but it's very hard to enforce if someone isn't a habitual offender. It's actually quite silly that it's even required on an award ticket, the use of married segments on award tickets is ridiculous, was much simpler in the old segment by segment days.

You're absolutely sure you can't just book that JL flight without the LGA-ORD tag? That's a really odd one to have on married segments.

Oh, BTW, welcome to Flyertalk.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
You're absolutely sure you can't just book that JL flight without the LGA-ORD tag? That's a really odd one to have on married segments.
Yes I can book BKK to JFK but I'm only seeing economy as an option. Which brings me to my next question... I agree that seems weird and on the BKK - ORD itinerary I'm getting this disclaimer:
Overnight flight or connection, Connecting airports are different, The class of service you searched may not be available on one or more flights
So I'm not sure if that means that even if I book with the premium option I may not actually be in first class the whole way? I'd post a screenshot but I'm apparently too new to the forum to be allowed to do that.
Old Jul 1, 22, 5:48 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It means that of your 3 legs, they may not all be in First class. I see the routing you're talking about on a random date I pick in September. If you click the 'details' link, it will then show you the 3 segments in individual tabs you can view. There it will show you the class of service being booked. When I look at this sample date of 9/13, the BKK-BND leg shows Economy, but the other two tabs (HND-JFK, JFK-ORD) show First class. Check your itinerary to see if that's the case for you. I'm not sure how JAL works if you book this and want to be waitlisted for BKK-HND in First.

TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:25 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by happycamp3r View Post
I'm looking to go from BKK to JFK
There are no award flights in premium class to be found in September but I found a JAL flight that I can book with AA that goes : BKK - HND - JFK - LGA - ORD for 110k.
I'm assuming the transfer in New York from LFK to LGA means I would need to go through immigration there, collect all my baggage and then recheck into LGA.

1. am i getting that right?
2. any reason I couldnt then just exit at JFK and skip the final leg?
No reason you can't skip the final leg but I would bet that after booking you can all AA and ask them to drop the LGA-ORD segment (and keep the rest) and it probably won't be a problem. As mentioned by PHL, check carefully because some segments may be in Economy.
italdesign likes this.
Old Jul 2, 22, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by seigex View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to gate upgrade a medium haul international J award? NRT-BKK only has Y available through AA, but would like to run this 6+ hour segment in J if possible to pay to upgrade at the gate like I can with JL domestic awards.
The regional Asia flights on JL are packed to the gills. Slim chances to upgrade at the gate. My Tokyo-Singapore flights (both ways) were completely full in both J and Y cabins.
Old Jul 2, 22, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer View Post
The regional Asia flights on JL are packed to the gills. Slim chances to upgrade at the gate. My Tokyo-Singapore flights (both ways) were completely full in both J and Y cabins.
Yeah, i asked at the gate at NRT for JL717 and was told J was full, and if it wasnt it would have been 100,000 yen to upgrade. Y had a few open seats still though.
Old Jul 4, 22, 6:50 pm

Unable to add domestic JL segment to existing booking

Hi, I have a ticketed booking in October 2022 AKL-SYD (QF), SYD-HND (JL) in Business.

I am trying to add a domestic JL sector HND-CTS onto this PNR. I have confirmed there is space via AAdvantage and BA Executive Club but I have called 5 times and agents cannot add this flight either in Business or Economy . I have also called and asked for a standalone booking, and space is available HND-CTS in both Business and Economy.

One agent said that my existing sectors, AKL-SYD and SYD-HND are not married. Does anyone have any tips to help add the HND-CTS segment on please?

Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 22, 1:47 pm

I have 2 J award seats for early October, JFK-HND. If F seats become available close in, what's the best way to try and upgrade? Can I just call AA and ask them to upgrade the J seats to F? I think I did that once pre-Covid, but I can't remember, lol.

Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 22, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA
I (as is often the case) am really annoyed with AA awards availability.

I can find lots of Awards availability (including some really good deals) from the US to NRT/HND. I can also find awards availability from NRT/HND to BKK (available on every single day, from now until eternity). However, I can't find any US to BKK availability. Does anyone have tips for this situation?

If I book a US - Tokyo awards ticket and a separate Tokyo - BKK awards ticket, can I later call AA and have them combine those tickets? I doubt this would work, but could I have them combine the itineraries at the US - Asia 1/2 mileage rate (as opposed to paying the US - Asia 1 AND also the separate Asia 1 - Asia 2 rates combined)? The AA awards fare rules allow transits through Asia 1 on the way to Asia 2 (and I see some limited availability for other destinations like JKT/MNL), but has anyone had success actually getting the AA call center to do that?
Old Jul 5, 22, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AnthonyGT View Post
I have 2 J award seats for early October, JFK-HND. If F seats become available close in, what's the best way to try and upgrade? Can I just call AA and ask them to upgrade the J seats to F? I think I did that once pre-Covid, but I can't remember, lol.

Thanks!
The only way to do it is just call AA and change your J awards for F awards.
Old Jul 5, 22, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by guwinster View Post
I (as is often the case) am really annoyed with AA awards availability.

I can find lots of Awards availability (including some really good deals) from the US to NRT/HND. I can also find awards availability from NRT/HND to BKK (available on every single day, from now until eternity). However, I can't find any US to BKK availability. Does anyone have tips for this situation?

If I book a US - Tokyo awards ticket and a separate Tokyo - BKK awards ticket, can I later call AA and have them combine those tickets? I doubt this would work, but could I have them combine the itineraries at the US - Asia 1/2 mileage rate (as opposed to paying the US - Asia 1 AND also the separate Asia 1 - Asia 2 rates combined)? The AA awards fare rules allow transits through Asia 1 on the way to Asia 2 (and I see some limited availability for other destinations like JKT/MNL), but has anyone had success actually getting the AA call center to do that?
Your likely issue is that most all AA long haul premium cabin award space is now web special, and web special awards cannot be combined with partner awards on the same award.

So searching US-Tokyo you'll see lots of web special space, but searching US-BKK you'll see nothing since the TYO-BKK partner award cannot be combined with the AA US-TYO web special award.

If you do book these as separate PNRs there is no way to combine them into one later.

And if you can find sAAver space on the US-TYO segments then it's definitely possible to combine that with the TYO-BKK segment on a single US-Asia 2 award, but as mentioned if the US-TYO is web special then that's not possible.
Old Jul 5, 22, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
The only way to do it is just call AA and change your J awards for F awards.
Thank you for confirming! Guess I'll be on the phone a bit in a few months.
Old Jul 5, 22, 4:47 pm

Your likely issue is that most all AA long haul premium cabin award space is now web special, and web special awards cannot be combined with partner awards on the same award.

So searching US-Tokyo you'll see lots of web special space, but searching US-BKK you'll see nothing since the TYO-BKK partner award cannot be combined with the AA US-TYO web special award.

If you do book these as separate PNRs there is no way to combine them into one later.

And if you can find sAAver space on the US-TYO segments then it's definitely possible to combine that with the TYO-BKK segment on a single US-Asia 2 award, but as mentioned if the US-TYO is web special then that's not possible.
This is not the case. The flights are entirely Japan airlines. I have found lots of flights that are JAL from JFK to HND and the HND to various Asia 2 countries. For some reason they can't be booked. Has to be done multi city therefore paying 90k total. 60 for USA to Asia 1. And then 30k to Asia 2. It should be 70k from USA to Asia 2. I have spoken to 3 different reps. The first two never even understood what I was trying to do. The 3rd finally figured it out but told me he couldn't help me. Saving the 20k each way would be really nice but I'm at a loss on how to proceed.
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Justin Volzer View Post
This is not the case. The flights are entirely Japan airlines. I have found lots of flights that are JAL from JFK to HND and the HND to various Asia 2 countries. For some reason they can't be booked. Has to be done multi city therefore paying 90k total. 60 for USA to Asia 1. And then 30k to Asia 2. It should be 70k from USA to Asia 2. I have spoken to 3 different reps. The first two never even understood what I was trying to do. The 3rd finally figured it out but told me he couldn't help me. Saving the 20k each way would be really nice but I'm at a loss on how to proceed.
Ah ok. I would try putting the JFK-HND on hold, then call and ask to add the HND-BKK segment onto the existing reservation.

If that still doesn't work, then it's most likely just married segment availability, whereby JL is making JFK-HND and HND-BKK available by themselves but not combined. If that's the case then there's not much you can do other than book it as 2 awards (but they still should be able to combine the 2 awards into the same PNR).
Old Jul 5, 22, 9:33 pm

Ah ok. I would try putting the JFK-HND on hold, then call and ask to add the HND-BKK segment onto the existing reservation.

If that still doesn't work, then it's most likely just married segment availability, whereby JL is making JFK-HND and HND-BKK available by themselves but not combined. If that's the case then there's not much you can do other than book it as 2 awards (but they still should be able to combine the 2 awards into the same PNR).
I tried that with the third agent I spoke with. He said he couldn't see any availability when he tried to do that. It's interesting that JAL sells the tickets for cash that way. But it seems they don't for partner availability. I guess they could marry segments different depending on the fare?

Search this Thread