Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
I just discovered a new wrinkle in JL awards. I have an F award ticket HAN-NRT in J, NRT-ORD in F, ORD-MCI in F. Travel date is Jan. 25, 2017 ticketed on March 13., used 67.5K miles. I have a second ticket on the same date and flights for my husband, a J award. I am going to try to change travel date to between Feb. 25-March 13, 2017. If I cannot find an F seat on any acceptable dates I would accept a voluntary downgrade to J. I want to take the trip and don't care if I 'm in J to go. I would willingly give up my F seat. Apparently that would cause a redeposit of the miles and $150 charge and then a reticket at the new higher rate of 70K for J on JL. You can change the date but you cannot change the class of service without a big payment.
What you're describing is effectively changing an F award to a J award. Since your NRT-ORD segment is the only one in international F, taking a voluntary downgrade on that segment means you need a different type of award, which I think we all expect would trigger a fee and repricing. This wouldn't necessarily be the case for awards that have multiple segments in international F (downgrading one int'l segment from F to J doesn't change the award type if there are other segments still in int'l F).

In your case, you might consider changing your routing to go HAN-HKG-HND/NRT-ORD -- if you can manage to find HKG-HND or HKG-NRT on one of the handful of flights where CX offers F, the segment in CX F should mean the award would still be an F award even if you downgraded NRT-ORD, which *should* mean there would be no fee/repricing.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Captain Flush
In your case, you might consider changing your routing to go HAN-HKG-HND/NRT-ORD -- if you can manage to find HKG-HND or HKG-NRT on one of the handful of flights where CX offers F, the segment in CX F should mean the award would still be an F award even if you downgraded NRT-ORD, which *should* mean there would be no fee/repricing.
That would not work. It's even harder to get F seats on CX than on JL. I don't see any F award space on CX flights from Han-NRT at all for Jan.-Feb. 2017. And It doesn't look like the timing of the arrival would be in sync with the departure of JL 10.

I have to decide if I want to take a chance on finding one F seat on JL 10 sometime between Feb. 20 and March 13 and just change the dates or pay the $150 now to change to a J award for current ticket and change the flying dates. There seems to be plenty of J seats on JL 10 but I could always fly home on JL 12 NRT-DFW and then to MCI.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:21 pm

That would not work. It's even harder to get F seats on CX than on JL. I don't see any F award space on CX flights from Han-NRT at all for Jan.-Feb. 2017. And It doesn't look like the timing of the arrival would be in sync with the departure of JL 10.

I have to decide if I want to take a chance on finding one F seat on JL 10 sometime between Feb. 20 and March 13 and just change the dates or pay the $150 now to change to a J award for current ticket and change the flying dates. There seems to be plenty of J seats on JL 10 but I could always fly home on JL 12 NRT-DFW and then to MCI.
It might not work in a single day, but it's absolutely possible to book HAN-HKG on KA (on those days the morning flight operates), connect to CX HKG-HND or HKG-NRT on the same day, overnight in TYO (<24 hours = still one award) and take JL10 the following morning. And IME CX F is not particularly difficult to come by on HKG-HND and HKG-NRT.

Last edited by Captain Flush; Mar 20, 2016 at 6:12 pm Reason: the arrow always points to the smaller
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:12 pm

It might not work in a single day, but it's absolutely possible to book HAN-HKG on KA (on those days the morning flight operates), connect to CX HKG-HND or HKG-NRT on the same day, overnight in TYO (>24 hours = still one award) and take JL10 the following morning. And IME CX F is not particularly difficult to come by on HKG-HND and HKG-NRT.
Since this would be the return flights after a 2 week vacation in Vietnam, I would probably not want to add so much more travel time home. Plus there would be the added expense of a hotel room in Tokyo for the overnight. Good idea, just not for me.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.

If you have enough miles in one family member's account, you could keep the F ticket and book a J ticket for 55K. If an F seat opens up on your preferred travel date, you could cancel the J ticket and pay $150. If there is no F availability, you could cancel the F ticket and use the J ticket. Unless there was a schedule change that would allow a free cancellation, you would lose $150 but you would have 12.5K more miles than you expected if there were no F awards was allowed.

Last edited by rny321; Mar 20, 2016 at 6:09 pm
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by rny321
If you have enough miles in one family member's account, you could keep the F ticket and book a J ticket for 55K. If an F seat opens up on your preferred travel date, you could cancel the J ticket and pay $150. If there is no F availability, you could cancel the F ticket and use the J ticket. Unless there was a schedule change that would allow a free cancellation, you would lose $150 but you would have 12.5K more miles than you expected if there were no F awards was allowed.
How can you have 2 tickets for the same person on the same flight, just in different classes? I'm not traveling alone so I need 2 seats on the same day. I don't have enough miles to book 2 second tickets, only one. I don't want to travel on a different day than my husband.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:05 pm

How can you have 2 tickets for the same person on the same flight, just in different classes? I'm not traveling alone so I need 2 seats on the same day. I don't have enough miles to book 2 second tickets, only one. I don't want to travel on a different day than my husband.
I believe the other poster is saying you can have placeholder reservations on 2x different days. If you have J booked on the day you want to travel and F opens up then you can just cancel your J reservation and request a date change on your F reservation bumping it back to your desired date of travel ^
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:07 pm

Keep the F reservation you currently have
Change the J reservation for your husband to the date you want
Book a new J reservation for yourself on the date you want

In the end, if F is available, you book into F, cancel the J ticket. If J is available, cancel the F ticket. Either way, you'll be paying 150 to redeposit.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy

In the end, if F is available, you book into F, cancel the J ticket. If J is available, cancel the F ticket. Either way, you'll be paying 150 to redeposit.
This is what I will do. I will book a placeholder J reservation for any date I can find for 55K miles now. I still have 95K miles in my account. The date I want is a month away from opening for award booking so I will make the date changes for both mine and my husbands tickets in a few weeks. Thanks all for the advice.

Add: I did get a placeholder J award for 55K miles ticketed for a different date than the F award. I'll keep whichever one allows me to travel on a desirable date and cancel the other . I consider this a $150 insurance policy for being able to take my vacation trip at a time that works for me.

Last edited by susiesan; Mar 21, 2016 at 7:17 pm
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy

wait, there's a $150 redeposit fee? think I might've finally figured out why I was wrongly charged for a change to my award booking that I'm still waiting for a refund on...
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
It might not work in a single day, but it's absolutely possible to book HAN-HKG on KA (on those days the morning flight operates), connect to CX HKG-HND or HKG-NRT on the same day, overnight in TYO (<24 hours = still one award) and take JL10 the following morning. And IME CX F is not particularly difficult to come by on HKG-HND and HKG-NRT.
CX doesn't operate 3-class service on the HKG-NRT sector. On the HKG-HND sector, only one flight (after Nov) departing at 8:40am has 3-class service and will work to price it as an F award. JL may have 3-class service on CGK-NRT departing at 9:25pm.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arfaczar
CX doesn't operate 3-class service on the HKG-NRT sector.
Tell that to CX520 some days.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Tell that to CX520 some days.
Not in Jan/Feb 2017 when OP hopes to travel. CX is retiring their 747s thru the end of 2016 and with that their 3-class service to NRT. Last 3-class CX520 scheduled for end of this month.

Last edited by arfaczar; Mar 21, 2016 at 9:21 am
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: United Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Gold
Long time reader, first post.
Finally was able to book 2 NRT-BOS(JL) BOS-LGA (AA)tickets in J for November 2016 since the NRT-JFK route is basically nonexistent. NRT-BOS route will change from their angled seats to lie-flat (SS9) product starting June 11, so good alternative to the usual JL hubs. Great knowledgeable AA agent.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
When does JL release F award seats? I can't find two F award seats JFK or ORD to NRT and/or back again...not this week, next week, or 11 months from now, or anything in between???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.