Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I've had no trouble getting agents to see them at 10am on the dot. AA can see awards 331 days out.
Same experience here. I called in at 17:55 just to make sure I got through the menus and any holds and got through at 18:01 and they were able to see availability in J and book my return flights for me.

I had booked the outbound flight about a week prior. I had checked around 8PM local time as I was unaware about the 10AM release time in Japan, so I was about 2hrs late, but availability was still there. I originally put SAN-NRT-SIN on hold as I really wanted the SAN-NRT, HND-SIN, but as the NRT-SIN departed at 00:05 the next day, the AA agent couldn’t see that availability. I called in just after 18:00 the day after (after getting stuck on hold, hence me dialing in early for the return flight) and switched to the HND-SIN flight and then confirmed the booking.
McSam18 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

Same experience here. I called in at 17:55 just to make sure I got through the menus and any holds and got through at 18:01 and they were able to see availability in J and book my return flights for me.

I had booked the outbound flight about a week prior. I had checked around 8PM local time as I was unaware about the 10AM release time in Japan, so I was about 2hrs late, but availability was still there. I originally put SAN-NRT-SIN on hold as I really wanted the SAN-NRT, HND-SIN, but as the NRT-SIN departed at 00:05 the next day, the AA agent couldn’t see that availability. I called in just after 18:00 the day after (after getting stuck on hold, hence me dialing in early for the return flight) and switched to the HND-SIN flight and then confirmed the booking.
Awesome! Thanks for the additional data point!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Tarhee1
If i am seeing business availability on Qantas but not on BA or Alaska, is this most likely phantom availability? The specific flights I am referencing is HND>SFO and NRT > JFK on February 19th.
I see HND-SFO in J on 2/19 on AS now. AS has cached availability so it might take a few hours extra to show up on AS.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
2nd release JL award availability

Hi,
Was booking LAX-NRT using AA miles and needed 2F or J (or mixed) tickets for mid March 2019. I ended up booking 1F ticket hoping that I snag another one if they release more. Unfortunately I snoozed on getting my Economy award ticket because I thought I might fall back to using BA avios to book PE.

?: Should I just keep waiting and hoping that more award availability is released for my March departure? Checking every day! The alternative is to book a cash economy seat cause prices will just go up, and you don't think they will open up any more award seats...

Thanks so much for your advice!
A
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:37 pm

Preface: I'm new to this and this is a rookie question. I'm trying to figure out how the 330 day calculation works. Has anyone used the timeanddate.com date calculator? When I calculated for December 25, 2019, it gave me January 29th. Is this correct? If my calculation is accurate, there are 330 in between the two dates. Or does it become available on day 330, so should it be January 30th?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by AboutTreeFiddy
Preface: I'm new to this and this is a rookie question. I'm trying to figure out how the 330 day calculation works. Has anyone used the timeanddate.com date calculator? When I calculated for December 25, 2019, it gave me January 29th. Is this correct? If my calculation is accurate, there are 330 in between the two dates. Or does it become available on day 330, so should it be January 30th?
330 days out from Tokyo time. So January 29th at 10 AM in Japan the new awards will be loaded for Dec. 25, 2019. They would show up in the US the day before, January 28, at whatever time in your timezone equates to 10 AM JST, it is 5 PM PST. More detail in the Wiki.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:57 am
umc

Originally Posted by Tarhee1
If i am seeing business availability on Qantas but not on BA or Alaska, is this most likely phantom availability? The specific flights I am referencing is HND>SFO and NRT > JFK on February 19th.
I am looking for a similar flight out of Narita, and I see 3 seats in business available using Qantas and Japan Airline search tool. However, I see no seat available using BA and Alaska search tool. I called AA and they don't see it. I think we are having the same issue. The AA rep told me that AA probably does not have access to the same number of award seats as Qantas. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:13 am

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:25 am

Flying DFW-SFO-HND in J. A better flight opened up DFW-SFO so I'm taking it despite the voluntary downgrade for that segment. Do I still have access to check in the Business que or must I go through the economy line? I have priority with my CC but I think that only works for the security lines. Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by Sizook
Flying DFW-SFO-HND in J. A better flight opened up DFW-SFO so I'm taking it despite the voluntary downgrade for that segment. Do I still have access to check in the Business que or must I go through the economy line? I have priority with my CC but I think that only works for the security lines. Thanks.
You can definitely use the business line to check in. I'm not sure if the rule is "as long as you have *any* leg in J" or "your inter-continental flight in J", but both apply to you anyway.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:47 pm

Hi. Is the wiki still accurate in that JL will never release the last F seat to award inventory? I am eyeing a flight within 10 days and it’s F1. Wondering whether I need to continue obsessively checking for Z inventory or if it’s pointless so long as the flight remains F1.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ross0
Hi. Is the wiki still accurate in that JL will never release the last F seat to award inventory? I am eyeing a flight within 10 days and it’s F1. Wondering whether I need to continue obsessively checking for Z inventory or if it’s pointless so long as the flight remains F1.

Thanks!
The wiki is form Oct 2018 so I'd guess not much has changed since then also I find that policy to be rather sensible as in Japan paying for F is standard for executives so giving away the last seat would seem unwise as last minute F buys can and do happen. If you're 10 days out and the flight is F1 I'd suggest you look for an alternate flight, even if it requires a domestic connection.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
The wiki is form Oct 2018 so I'd guess not much has changed since then also I find that policy to be rather sensible as in Japan paying for F is standard for executives so giving away the last seat would seem unwise as last minute F buys can and do happen. If you're 10 days out and the flight is F1 I'd suggest you look for an alternate flight, even if it requires a domestic connection.
my thoughts exactly. Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

my thoughts exactly. Thanks.
Agree that the odds of an F award opening up at F1 are not good, however I wouldn't necessarily stop checking if you're within 10 days. The same big whig executive that might buy the last F seat also might be already booked on the flight and have plans change last minute and have to cancel, you never know.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:07 am

Thanks!
No, the wiki is not accurate in that regard. I had a trip last June where JL released the last F seat and I grabbed it. Availability was F1 on EF and JL opened it for an award. This is not guaranteed to happen but it can happen and it did for me. After grabbing it availability went to F0.

In my case the last F seat was released less than 48 hours from departure and I was frequently checking availability to catch it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.