Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Looking to fly DFW-TYO in reward J sometime in January or February. I am signed up for the BA website to search award inventory. Generally speaking is it slim pickins' finding a J award seat on this route?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Looking to fly DFW-TYO in reward J sometime in January or February. I am signed up for the BA website to search award inventory. Generally speaking is it slim pickins' finding a J award seat on this route?
I would say generally DFW-TYO is easier than LAX/JFK-TYO. It's not non-existent, but you'll have to look and be flexible. DFW-ORD-TYO is also an option, especially if you want F.

For example, it appears 1/28 has J available, and 1/29 has availability through ORD.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by touristtrap
After placing 2 JAL (J/F) tickets SIN_NRT_JFK on hold 5 days ago I finalized booking 3 days ago (71 hours ago) and still no ticketing confirmation email.
Called AA yesterday evening and rep reassured me that the request was made and it might take some time to get ticketed.
AA web page displays "On Request"
Should I be concerned or it usually takes this long for ticketing.
No. My last ticketing took about 3-4 days.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
No. My last ticketing took about 3-4 days.
Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I would say generally DFW-TYO is easier than LAX/JFK-TYO. It's not non-existent, but you'll have to look and be flexible. DFW-ORD-TYO is also an option, especially if you want F.

For example, it appears 1/28 has J available, and 1/29 has availability through ORD.
Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:20 am

It depends on when your departure date is. I called a few days ago and they have a large backlog, currently working through January dates right now so if you're not flying until the summer it'll be a while.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
It depends on when your departure date is. I called a few days ago and they have a large backlog, currently working through January dates right now so if you're not flying until the summer it'll be a while.
Mine was finally ticketed this morning.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Hmm! I am excited to be seeing some F availability on JL (via searching on AS) for SFO-HND for a potential last minute fun trip to Tokyo. I love Japan, but have never flown F on JL (or, really, intl F on many planes at all!)

I have enough AS miles for one way, but would need to use AA miles for the other direction. And given comments here about significant ticketing delays, I'm a bit worried whether this is pull-offable a few days in advance. Would appreciate your advice and/or reassurance!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Hmm! I am excited to be seeing some F availability on JL (via searching on AS) for SFO-HND for a potential last minute fun trip to Tokyo. I love Japan, but have never flown F on JL (or, really, intl F on many planes at all!)

I have enough AS miles for one way, but would need to use AA miles for the other direction. And given comments here about significant ticketing delays, I'm a bit worried whether this is pull-offable a few days in advance. Would appreciate your advice and/or reassurance!
I've booked a JL F ticket using AA miles less than a week before flying and didn't have a problem. Although I'm not certain, I think AA prioritizes awards where the date of departure is soon. To minimize the potential for delay, I would try to book on a weekday instead of a weekend. But bottom line, I wouldn't worry too much about the ticket not being issued by the time you're scheduled to fly.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I think AA prioritizes awards where the date of departure is soon.
This is correct, though I still tend to be proactive and call in to see if they can expedite the ticketing if it hasn't happened within 12 hours for close-in travel, especially if partner airlines are involved.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Flyingeph12 and dkc192, thanks for the info and reassurance! Now here's hoping I actually find availability. This may be the first international trip I go on with just an outbound ticket
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Flyingeph12 and dkc192, thanks for the info and reassurance! Now here's hoping I actually find availability. This may be the first international trip I go on with just an outbound ticket
I just found 2 F in September 2019. I'm snagging those now. Best of luck!
GWFan likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:06 pm

Depending on where you’re going, you may need to show a return ticket. So I might be careful with this strategy.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:19 pm

Depending on where you’re going, you may need to show a return ticket. So I might be careful with this strategy.
Hmm! Can you elaborate on this, please? The issue is that award flights -- particularly in premium classes -- aren't showing as available for me (on multiple airlines!) until a few days prior.
In fact, a JAL SFO-HND F seat for Monday just opened up today (Thursday) and, yes, I snagged it for $80 + 80K AA points .

On another happy / surprising note: my itin was ticketed within an hour (!).

Last edited by ThatAdamGuy; Nov 1, 2018 at 8:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Hmm! Can you elaborate on this, please? .
For example, Timatic entry for US passport to enter Japan lists this:
Information as of 02NOV18 / 0248 UTC
National USA (US) /Embarkation USA (US)
Destination Japan (JP)
Japan (JP)

Passport required.
- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be
valid on arrival.

Visa required, except for Nationals of USA for a maximum stay
of 90 days.

Warning:
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused
entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.