Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA++
I saw an opening from CGK to NRT to LAX with JL(J) and AA(F) in sequence. For end of march departure.

If I ticket this and later NRT-LAX with JL F opens up, can I change?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:18 pm
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
yes you can.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
So if I were to book seats for next Feb., should I attempt to get tickets with a random return date to secure the outbound dates and then change the inbound dates (since there is the 330-days rule? How do people get around?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
So if I were to book seats for next Feb., should I attempt to get tickets with a random return date to secure the outbound dates and then change the inbound dates (since there is the 330-days rule? How do people get around?
Is there any reason that you wouldn't book only your outbound one-way for now? And later, book your inbound as another one-way when your preferred date becomes available.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by arfaczar
Is there any reason that you wouldn't book only your outbound one-way for now? And later, book your inbound as another one-way when your preferred date becomes available.
Because redemption rates will go up mid-March. 331 days is ~ 11 months out. Booking in March will give him February 2017 seats.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:18 pm

Is anyone else having trouble pulling up JL award seats on BA? I have searched mutiple days in Jan 17 (330 days out) from several US cities to SIN/SGN. Just a few days ago I had no problem seeing J/F award seats.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by kannon99
Is anyone else having trouble pulling up JL award seats on BA? I have searched mutiple days in Jan 17 (330 days out) from several US cities to SIN/SGN. Just a few days ago I had no problem seeing J/F award seats.
No JL availability showing on BA in the last 12+ hours. Hopefully, a temporary glitch.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm looking to use up the last of my accrued miles taking a trip to Japan next fall. I want to book before the devaluation. I'll have about 75k miles to use on the trip. This means I'll be able to fly J in only one direction. I'll be going SEA-TYO. It looks like I can easily connect through YVR (JL788), LAX (AA788), or ORD (AA788). I have three questions.

1) Who has the better J seat, AA or JL? Should I prioritize experience (i.e., service) or comfort (i.e., lie flat to sleep on the redeye)?
2) Who has the better Y seat, AA or JL? Which will offer more space (AA 9-across v JL 8-across)? I would prefer an exit row.
3) Which direction should I select for the J flights? Do I choose exTYO on a redeye and the ability to actually sleep or exNA and the opportunity to enjoy the service?

Last edited by WillTravel4Food; Feb 26, 2016 at 5:57 am
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I'm looking to use up the last of my accrued miles taking a trip to Japan next fall. I want to book before the devaluation. I'll have about 75k miles to use on the trip. This means I'll be able to fly J in only one direction. I'll be going SEA-TYO. It looks like I can easily connect through YVR (JL788), LAX (AA788), or ORD (AA788). I have two three questions.

1) Who has the better J seat, AA or JL? Should I prioritize experience (i.e., service) or comfort (i.e., lie flat to sleep on the redeye)?
2) Who has the better Y seat, AA or JL? Which will offer more space (AA 9-across v JL 8-across)? I would prefer an exit row.
3) Which direction should I select for the J flights? Do I choose exTYO on a redeye and the ability to actually sleep or exNA and the opportunity to enjoy the service?
75k isn't enough to do J one way (55k) and Y the other (35k).

Therefore, I suggest you focus on flying F (62.5k) in one direction, and figuring out something else (e.g. other miles or discounted ticket) in the reverse.

Personally, I would use the F segment on JL ex-TYO (surprisingly good airline food).
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by moondog
75k isn't enough to do J one way (55k) and Y the other (35k).

Therefore, I suggest you focus on flying F (62.5k) in one direction, and figuring out something else (e.g. other miles or discounted ticket) in the reverse.

Personally, I would use the F segment on JL ex-TYO (surprisingly good airline food).
Japan is Asia 1, which requires 50K in J and 25K off-peak in Y. What you referenced is a mix of Asia 1 (in F) and Asia 2 (in J and Y) rates.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Succeeded in getting a good award on the dates I wanted for 2 pax in Jan 2017 from SYD-TYO-LHR all the way in first.
Just hope that there will be no downgrade of aircraft type for the route (an upgrade of aircraft type is welcome )

I was actually surprised that availability on JL is actually not bad after all the hoo-ha about CX availability.

Cheers!
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:04 pm

JAL seats did start showing up on BA again, was able to snag two (F)SFO-HND seats and HND-SIN in J for travel in mid Jan 2017.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by arfaczar
I thought it's cheaper in fees to book them as round trip? Also cause of the redemption devaluations.

I'll see what I can do and snatch one-ways first. Thank you for the advise.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
JAL seats did start showing up on BA again, was able to snag two (F)SFO-HND seats and HND-SIN in J for travel in mid Jan 2017.
Just snagged SFO-HND as well - for Saturday midnight
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:29 pm

Not sure if this the right thread but I booked a flight from JFK-NRT for April this year in business class. If a first class seat becomes available, is it possible to upgrade and if so how would I go about doing that? Sorry still a newbie here and this was my first award booking ever. Appreciate all the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.