Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 4, 19, 10:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ukinny2000
Wiki Link
Link to earning AA miles on JL page on aa.com

Please see useful information including which JL affiliates can be used for AAdvantage award travel, Domestic Japan Awards, etc. in Post #1.

Please note the different earnings on international and domestic flight fare codes. Also note "JL flights 53 and 54 between Tokyo Narita and Nagoya, and flights 51 and 52 between Tokyo Narita and Osaka Kansai are considered international flights for the purpose of mileage accrual."

As always: Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Japan Airlines will earn AAdvantage base miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) (and after 1/1/16, likely EQDs) according to the AA mileage accrual chart.[/quote]

For further information see: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2016

Earning AA Award / "Redeemable" Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards will not show on aa.com
  • A (free) BAEC account on BA will let you search and see available JL awards; note entering a date beyond the 330 day period and then attempt to select a date within the 330 day period, awards will not show. As well BA occasionally shows "phantom" award availability.
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • You must call AA (free) to book MileSAAver awards on JL (free call)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards 330 days out at 10:00 am JST / 18:00 PDT / 17:00 PST time
  • JL updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30715035-post810.html ) as it may be a point-of-sale issue

Please refrain from posting questions about AA award redemptions on JL in the JAL Mileage Bank forum.

Information from AA AAdvantage and JAL Mileage Bank fora.

For 2012-2015 posts, please see ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 7, 18, 11:04 pm

Does anyone use any other tools other than BA to find JAL reward space? The BA site is terrible. I'm looking for 2 x F or J seats from HND or NRT to pretty much anywhere in the USA for mid Feb 2019 and the site is so dreadful I cannot find anything.
Old Jul 8, 18, 12:52 am
IMH
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold, Accor & IHG Plat, Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by bennyblanco View Post
Does anyone use any other tools other than BA to find JAL reward space?
I sometimes search on QF or JL, or let Award Nexus search on my behalf.

Originally Posted by bennyblanco View Post
The BA site is terrible [...] the site is so dreadful I cannot find anything.
The BA search engine has its moments, and is obviously primarily designed to look for BA inventory, but sometimes the reason for not being able to find availability is simply that it isn't there. The seats you're looking for most probably either became available four months ago or won't be released until late January or early February.
Old Jul 8, 18, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by IMH View Post
I sometimes search on QF or JL, or let Award Nexus search on my behalf.

The BA search engine has its moments, and is obviously primarily designed to look for BA inventory, but sometimes the reason for not being able to find availability is simply that it isn't there. The seats you're looking for most probably either became available four months ago or won't be released until late January or early February.
Thanks. I was able to book 2 x F tickets (ORD -> NRT) and saw lots of availability for many dates around early Feb 2019. Weird that there are no returns. I guess I'll setup an Award Nexus search and keep looking - thanks!
Old Jul 18, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA former-Platinum (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
I am planning a trip using AA awards on JAL for my family. While searching for availability on BA, we cannot get any flights to Osaka / KIX connecting through Tokyo - we want to take a connection there to explore for a day (less than 24 hours - so not a stopover). If I find availability on the US to Tokyo portion, how do I 1) find availability for Tokyo-Osaka and 2) what is the proper way to ask or instruct the AAgent to book it? Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 18, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
If I wanted to book JFK-Tokyo in F with AA miles for april when do I need to book? I have the return trip booked with another airline and I am waitlisted for the flight out to Asia. Just not sure its going to clear or not and want to use AA miles as an emergency backup.
Old Aug 2, 18, 8:28 pm

How early can I book JAL business class award ticket?
I'm looking for a one way ticket in 11/17 or 11/18
Old Aug 2, 18, 9:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by msworldwanderer View Post
How early can I book JAL business class award ticket?<br />I'm looking for a one way ticket in 11/17 or 11/18
330 days out. Assuming you’re taking about 2019, you have time to wait.
Old Aug 5, 18, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I believe there is a typo in the wiki.
  • JL initially releases awards 330 days out at 10:00 am JST / 18:00 PST / 17:00 PDT time
Should be 18:00 PDT / 17:00 PST.
Old Aug 6, 18, 10:32 pm

I have an award that has been "on request" for more than 24 hours. Is it a delay with JAL confirming the seats or should I be concerned and call in about this?
Old Aug 7, 18, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by HughMann View Post
I have an award that has been "on request" for more than 24 hours. Is it a delay with JAL confirming the seats or should I be concerned and call in about this?
Just give it time. Depending on how far out the flight is it can sometimes take 24-48 hrs or more for partner awards to get ticketed. If it hasn't ticketed in another day, then give AA a call to check.
Old Aug 7, 18, 5:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM & ExP, LATAM Black (OW Emerald), *A Gold, Smiles Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
I am planning a trip using AA awards on JAL for my family. While searching for availability on BA, we cannot get any flights to Osaka / KIX connecting through Tokyo - we want to take a connection there to explore for a day (less than 24 hours - so not a stopover). If I find availability on the US to Tokyo portion, how do I 1) find availability for Tokyo-Osaka and 2) what is the proper way to ask or instruct the AAgent to book it? Thanks!
Osaka has 2 airports: KIX and ITM. You have to check if JAL has routes from the airport you're arriving (NRT or HND) to KIX or ITM.
Old Aug 7, 18, 5:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM & ExP, LATAM Black (OW Emerald), *A Gold, Smiles Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HughMann View Post
It's OK. Just wait for 1 more day.
Old Aug 7, 18, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by broland View Post
Osaka has 2 airports: KIX and ITM. You have to check if JAL has routes from the airport you're arriving (NRT or HND) to KIX or ITM.
JAL does have routes - but I'm asking how to search for JAL award availability (for AA award) on those segments as the BA site doesn't show any flights on any dates. I don't think BA is configured to search for those domestic JAL segments.
Old Aug 7, 18, 9:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott PLT; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
JAL does have routes - but I'm asking how to search for JAL award availability (for AA award) on those segments as the BA site doesn't show any flights on any dates. I don't think BA is configured to search for those domestic JAL segments.
The BA website, when working properly, displays domestic JAL segments. If you're not seeing any, it's because award space on the flights is not available (or the BA website is broken). I don't believe the website is currently broken.
Old Aug 7, 18, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
The BA website, when working properly, displays domestic JAL segments. If you're not seeing any, it's because award space on the flights is not available (or the BA website is broken). I don't believe the website is currently broken.
Oh that's interesting. I've tried multiple close-in dates, mid dates, and 330 dates, but no availability via BA. Does JAL typically not release domestic award segments?

Search this Thread