Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:41 pm

What research did you do before posting here? A roundtrip will be a minimum of 70k miles in June:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp

FWIW, there is plenty of availability from SFO.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
What research did you do before posting here? A roundtrip will be a minimum of 70k miles in June:
Yes, I am aware that it is 70K, which is why I was wondering if I could transfer to a partner airline requiring less miles. Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:19 pm

No, but you can buy 10k miles through aa.com.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Karuizawa
Yes, I am aware that it is 70K, which is why I was wondering if I could transfer to a partner airline requiring less miles. Thanks!
You can't transfer AA miles to any other airlines. (And even if you could, it wouldn't be 1:1, so you'd actually lose more in the process than the 10k you think you'd save. For example, a decade or so ago you could transfer AA miles to Hilton points and then onto another airline, but you lost a ton of value in the two conversions.)
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: free agent
No surprise that options aren't really there right now for post-Memorial's Day weekend (looking for TYO-JFK but open to ORD or BOS (J only). If I see EF show F5 (HND-JFK), and F6 (NRT-JFK) for late May, how likely JL will release additional F seats for award redemption? It's still 14 day out, or I should check more often around 28 days out? Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by washeelers747
No surprise that options aren't really there right now for post-Memorial's Day weekend (looking for TYO-JFK but open to ORD or BOS (J only). If I see EF show F5 (HND-JFK), and F6 (NRT-JFK) for late May, how likely JL will release additional F seats for award redemption? It's still 14 day out, or I should check more often around 28 days out? Thanks
I think the Boston flight only offers business and economy class, while ORD does offer First .
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by nologic
I think the Boston flight only offers business and economy class, while ORD does offer First .
Yeah, JAL use 787 for their BOS-NRT flight and there is no F option. However, I am totally open to J, which should be easier to find award space.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Japanese Domestic Award Flight - Question about taxes

Just got off the phone with an AAgent who was able to successfully book a domestic segment on JAL, one way from HND to OKA for 7,500 and taxes and fees of $40.

A few days earlier I booked a similar segment using Avios from OKA to HND, and BA only wanted Ł3 for taxes.

Having never booked a domestic leg on JAL before using AAdvantage miles, are these taxes correct? Seems a little high for a domestic flight, especially compared with what BA charges for the same route. Does anyone have any experience with these awards?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:11 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by COnned
Just got off the phone with an AAgent who was able to successfully book a domestic segment on JAL, one way from HND to OKA for 7,500 and taxes and fees of $40.

A few days earlier I booked a similar segment using Avios from OKA to HND, and BA only wanted Ł3 for taxes.

Having never booked a domestic leg on JAL before using AAdvantage miles, are these taxes correct? Seems a little high for a domestic flight, especially compared with what BA charges for the same route. Does anyone have any experience with these awards?
I don't know about AA/JL, but last year I booked a domestic ANA flight using UA miles, and there were no taxes or fees at all. Somewhere on the receipt or website it should say what the fees are for, and in your case JAL probably isn't taking any of it.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by COnned

Japanese domestic air fare will have 8% consumption tax (I do not know how this is calculated on award tickets) and Japan Domestic Passenger Facility Charge. Currently full economy fare on HND - OKA is JPY 46,090 (today's exchange rate US$ 439.51) and 8% is $35.16 and adding Japan Domestic Passenger Facility Charge of US$ 3-4 can add up to be around US$ 40, if consumption tax on award ticket is calculated using full economy fare.

There is Japanese tax code that on international - domestic connection, where connection is less than 24 hrs., then consumption tax on domestic flight is waved and only pay Japan Domestic Passenger Facility Charge.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
I have a question... So according to the award chart domestic flight within Japan is only 7,500 points. I am trying to book HND-CTS-NGO, with a 6 hour layover, and Alaska and British show availability. I called AA, and they said that because JL flies HND-NGO direct (not available for my date), the routing will be 15,000 points. Is that right?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by eugeneo1
within Japan is only 7,500 points. I am trying to book HND-CTS-NGO, with a 6 hour layover...
I think that is like try to do one way domestic award on DFW-JFK-LAX. I think HND-CTS-NGO is back tracking too much, not surprise that it is not allowed under one award.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Seriously? My open seat disappeared while I was on hold?

I was booking an AA award flight for JAL and looked it up right before I called in and there was an open seat in F out of NRT for a night flight. I literally checked it immediately before calling. I call up and get put on hold for 15 minutes and then get told there is no F seat showing up for them. I then go back to BA website and sure enough in the 15 minutes I was on hold the damn slot disappeared. I ended up booking an award flight for the same day leaving in the morning from HND, because I figured I'd get something and maybe i can switch to the actual flight I want closer in if other space opens up. But really within 15 minutes it disappeared? Its been sitting there for like a week and the moment I call in it vanishes?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Well if it was sitting there for a week....maybe you should have called in sooner? Bad luck for you, good luck for whomever grabbed the seat.
E55 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
I was booking an AA award flight for JAL and looked it up right before I called in and there was an open seat in F out of NRT for a night flight. I literally checked it immediately before calling. I call up and get put on hold for 15 minutes and then get told there is no F seat showing up for them. I then go back to BA website and sure enough in the 15 minutes I was on hold the damn slot disappeared. I ended up booking an award flight for the same day leaving in the morning from HND, because I figured I'd get something and maybe i can switch to the actual flight I want closer in if other space opens up. But really within 15 minutes it disappeared? Its been sitting there for like a week and the moment I call in it vanishes?
...as opposed to what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.