Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by jayboo33
A friend from Osaka just told me the same thing. He says it's because Osaka people are notoriously cheap lol. In any case, I will climb aboard with lower expectations, but I do look forward to the food and service - first time on JAL.
We flew that route in Business class a few weeks ago and while the seats were "ok", the flight attendant we ended up with had MAJOR attitude, downright nasty!
She was the one and only repulsive Japanese person we have ever interacted with. Lucky for us we had exceptional service on NGO to BKK a few days later.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:47 am

Location: Westchester with HPN (LGA, JFK, EWR possible but...)
Programs: AA EXP, UA PP, HHonor Diamond, etc.
Originally Posted by uecsome
Thank you, JJeffrey and skimthetrees, for your advice!
I will check alaskaair.com as well as keep searching for flights!
I finally got what I wanted.... but agent booked one ticket with "wrong month" (even though I told the date with day (Sunday)), and I called again to EXP line and fixed it. Well I saw my email with "TELEPHONE TICKETING SERVICE $40".
I am not sure I have a right to dispute as I did not get charged for the initial bookings...
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I finally got what I wanted.... but agent booked one ticket with "wrong month" (even though I told the date with day (Sunday)), and I called again to EXP line and fixed it. Well I saw my email with "TELEPHONE TICKETING SERVICE $40".
I am not sure I have a right to dispute as I did not get charged for the initial bookings...
An award on JAL should never be charged the phone ticketing fee (especially for an EXP) since these can't be booked online. I would check your credit card statement, definitely give AA a call if you were charged to get that refunded.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
A data point for those interested; used britishairways.com to find availability between JFK-NRT-MNL on JAL -- there was one day with two business class seats available. Called in to AA and they confirmed those were actually available, and I added on my connecting flight (which had to be the night before) on AA which was also available on AA.com in First. Only $25 in fees for each ticket and all booked; haven't yet received confirmation email but noticed that britishairways.com no longers shows that flight as available for business class.

Spent longer on hold for an agent (5 minutes) than the actual booking process.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:07 am

Location: Westchester with HPN (LGA, JFK, EWR possible but...)
Programs: AA EXP, UA PP, HHonor Diamond, etc.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
An award on JAL should never be charged the phone ticketing fee (especially for an EXP) since these can't be booked online. I would check your credit card statement, definitely give AA a call if you were charged to get that refunded.
Thanks for your suggestion! I will watch my credit card statement!! You (will) save me $40!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Thanks for your suggestion! I will watch my credit card statement!! You (will) save me $40!
While the charges are still just pending on my account, all I have is a $25 charge per ticket (for taxes, etc) .. no booking fee for my JAL ticket.
I knew enough to ask for my JAL locator when I booked the reservation -- so AA gave it to me at that time. About an hour later I got the ticketing email and went to JAL.com and selected my business class seats there.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:57 pm

JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
Hello,

We'd like 4 J seats from NRT->LAX. I've been eyeing the JL J inventory and no matter when I look, it seems like only 2 J seats are available. Under what circumstances do 4 J seats open up? Do I only see 2 seats because I'm looking relatively close to the holidays? If I can only get 2 J to begin with, is there a reasonable chance of being upgrading 2 Y seats to J closer in? I'm looking at the mid-to-late January timeframe (I know that's not available yet, just trying to plan).

Thanks!

Last edited by sriirvine; Jan 31, 2018 at 10:41 pm
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
I just cancelled two J award seats from SFO to HND (because I need to book three seats), and now award availability (according to JL , BA, AS websites) appears to be high - there appears to be at least four or more seats available, and there's no number signifying limited availability (e.g. "only 2 left") in J. However, when I call AA to rebook, they tell me that they can only see two available award seats. Does anyone know how this works? I thought AA would see the same award availability as other partners such as BA or Alaska, but there seems to be some lower limit in their system.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
To to answer my own question, I was able to book the 3 J seats for SFO—HND after calling AA. It turns out that my onward connecting flight from HND was the problem since there was not enough award availability for that segment.

As a data point, when I cancelled the 2 J seats, JL actually released even more than 2 J seats back for award availability (I guess yield management perceived it as a low demand day). Once I rebooked the 3 J seats, there was no further J award availability.

Originally Posted by jch636
I just cancelled two J award seats from SFO to HND (because I need to book three seats), and now award availability (according to JL , BA, AS websites) appears to be high - there appears to be at least four or more seats available, and there's no number signifying limited availability (e.g. "only 2 left") in J. However, when I call AA to rebook, they tell me that they can only see two available award seats. Does anyone know how this works? I thought AA would see the same award availability as other partners such as BA or Alaska, but there seems to be some lower limit in their system.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:48 pm

Question AA representative could not find JL award tickets

Hi hivemind, I have a quick question regarding redeeming AA miles on JL business class. I searched it first using BA and found that there were available tickets on Apr 30/May 1 for both business and first class, from ORD to NRT. But when I called AA, the agent said she could not find any first class tickets for these days with JL. Additionally, she said she could only see 120k/person business tickets rather than 60k. Do you have any experience maneuver in situations like this? Thank you very much!

(And also this is my first post here in the community, apologize if I post in the wrong section.)
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by coconutzhu
Hi hivemind, I have a quick question regarding redeeming AA miles on JL business class. I searched it first using BA and found that there were available tickets on Apr 30/May 1 for both business and first class, from ORD to NRT. But when I called AA, the agent said she could not find any first class tickets for these days with JL. Additionally, she said she could only see 120k/person business tickets rather than 60k. Do you have any experience maneuver in situations like this? Thank you very much!

(And also this is my first post here in the community, apologize if I post in the wrong section.)
Welcome to FT. Many of AA's basic phone AAgents (and even EXP AAgents these days) are downright terrible at anything other than the most basic of requests, including searching for awards on partner carriers. The issue of "I see partner award space on BA but the AA rep can't find it" comes up a lot. The best thing to do is simply HUCA (Hang up & call again...).
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welcome to FT. Many of AA's basic phone AAgents (and even EXP AAgents these days) are downright terrible at anything other than the most basic of requests, including searching for awards on partner carriers. The issue of "I see partner award space on BA but the AA rep can't find it" comes up a lot. The best thing to do is simply HUCA (Hang up & call again...).
Thanks Jeff! It is very frustrating that sometimes you get less information from agents, who are supposed to the domain experts, than from peers. I guess at least I can make this fun by turning this into a drinking game (every time I need to call another agent I take a drink). :P
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..I have a quick question regarding redeeming AA miles on JL business class. I searched it first using BA and found that there were available tickets on Apr 30/May 1 for both business and first class, from ORD to NRT. But when I called AA, the agent said she could not find any first class tickets for these days with JL. Additionally, she said she could only see 120k/person business tickets rather than 60k. Do you have any experience manoeuvre in situations like this?
Have a look in this AA forum thread [this thread].

Last edited by aztimm; Mar 1, 2018 at 2:08 pm Reason: link not necessary after merge
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Thanks Jeff! It is very frustrating that sometimes you get less information from agents, who are supposed to the domain experts, than from peers. I guess at least I can make this fun by turning this into a drinking game (every time I need to call another agent I take a drink). :P
That could end up being a lot of drinking. But, AA (Pardon, the pun) is not alone in customer service problems
After issues with TXU (Electric service issue with autopay discount) and Virgin Mobile (unlocking and rebate issue) customer service issues that spanned weeks, I filed complaints with the state utilities commission (for TXU) and FCC (For Virgin Mobile)
Within a couple of days, I was contacted by representatives from both companies and the issues were both resolved as I had wanted. The TXU representative even apologized for the agents comments in the phone recording and gave me an additional $25.
The issue is these companies would probably be better off in providing accurate information in the first place, rather than waiting until someone is disappointed enough to contact government agencies. As a result, this will affect my future dealings with these 2 companies.

On the other hand, I made an error on tickets for 2 Las Vegas shows, because I went backwards in my browser and didn't realize I was booking for 4 weeks earlier than I had planned. A day later I read the email confirmation, which clearly stated non-refundable and non-changeable.
I called customer service for MGM shows and got someone who called the box office to cancel the incorrect tickets (which I already had pdf tickets for) and booked me the correct show dates. And, this was with a mistake I had made. My issues with the other 2 companies were due to their errors, and they were least interested in correcting them, until I after I had contacted the government agencies. So, AA please do better................... I am AA PLT, but I have started booking other carriers, due to this kind of nonsense with AA employees who should be in another occupation
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:34 pm

60,000 miles for CA to Japan?

I have 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage miles. Living in Redding, California, I want to fly round-trip from Sacramento or San Francisco to Japan (Tokyo, preferably) during the month of June. Is it possible to do this, say using partner airlines or such? Any help you can offer would be much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.