Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, HawaiianMiles, AAdvantage, Asia Miles, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is there sometimes phantom space on BA for *direct* flights? I'm looking 330 days out... BA shows 2 business class seats on JAL for LAX-KIX, but I called AA and they show no availability. I don't know whether to keep trying AA hoping the seats open up, or to go back to the drawing board. Qantas shows no availability (but pointhacks.com.au says Qantas will not show JAL availability anyway). Alaska shows availability about 325 days out. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jayboo33
Is there sometimes phantom space on BA for *direct* flights? I'm looking 330 days out... BA shows 2 business class seats on JAL for LAX-KIX, but I called AA and they show no availability. I don't know whether to keep trying AA hoping the seats open up, or to go back to the drawing board. Qantas shows no availability (but pointhacks.com.au says Qantas will not show JAL availability anyway). Alaska shows availability about 325 days out. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
JL recently migrated its systems to Amadeus, which apparently created some issues in terms of AA seeing award space (read upthread for some suggestions on how to prompt agents to look specifically for U award space on JL).
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, HawaiianMiles, AAdvantage, Asia Miles, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
JL recently migrated its systems to Amadeus, which apparently created some issues in terms of AA seeing award space (read upthread for some suggestions on how to prompt agents to look specifically for U award space on JL).
Thanks, @flyingeph12. I'll hunt for that upthread and give it another try.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:33 pm

Okay, it might have been that I got an unexperienced rep the first time, because when I called AA again this time there were no glitches. Flights booked in Business Class JAL with no problems. Always a relief @flyingeph12, thanks again for the advice.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:50 am

Just a data point, 3 days ago I was able to book Dec. 23 BOS-NRT-MNL for 2 in Business through AA on my first try (I was in the queue, left number and agent called me back). I have since then spent the next 3 days and maybe 7 calls to book NRT-BOS which I can see on BA.com on Jan. 4, but no agent has been able to see it on their end. Last night I ran into a gem of an agent who was able to see it, but by then the 3 seat availability had been reduced to 1, and I needed two (but at least we could both see the same availability). I ended up putting on hold a few more itineraries on both JAL and CX for the summer, and she was definitely seeing availability that I could not see on BA.com. For example for the same flight I'd see only business class avail but she would also see economy...

Last edited by ENFO; Dec 18, 2017 at 10:16 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Booking ex-Japan to Europe award travel on AA

I am planning a trip to Europe leaving from Japan where I am based. In looking at OW and partner award availability it seems like pickings are slim. On the other hand, EF shows good inventory for both TPAC and TATL segments.

Is it possible to book ex-Asia to Europe award itineraries on AA metal? If so, are the two international segments counted separately or as one charge in terms of mileage calculation?
EDIT: Just found a way to book online with the Multi-City option, but it is counting each international leg as a separate one-way journey for mileage purposes. Would calling in change this and let me book the whole thing as a simple round trip?

Last edited by mcrw00; Dec 18, 2017 at 5:42 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mcrw00
EDIT: Just found a way to book online with the Multi-City option, but it is counting each international leg as a separate one-way journey for mileage purposes. Would calling in change this and let me book the whole thing as a simple round trip?
No, it would not.

Just call AA for award itineraries on Japan Airlines.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:35 pm

It is so frustrating that the three agents said they cant see the flights available even though there are flights available on BA.com and AlaskaAir.com and i asked them to see U fare in the revenue screen.
It is my understanding that BA and AA get same seats from JAL.But the agent told me it is not true when I pointed out that there is availability on BA.com .Is she just BSing?
Is there any way better than keep calling to find the right agent?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SPG, MileagePlus
Unfortunately, it does sound like the luck of the draw in terms of the agent you get and whether he/she is aware of the change in seeing JAL award space. I'm pretty certain that BA and Alaska are showing accurate award seats (I even check JAL's site to make sure). I found Business seats on a SYD-NRT flight, and from HND-NYC on BA's and JAL sites, so called AA to book, and the agent claims nothing shows available. Hung up and called again the following morning, asked for the same exact seats, and all were available to this agent. She did mention it was a fairly new process that not everyone might know.

From a travel blog, this might help if the agent is having trouble:
AA agents must search for JAL award space as if they were booking a revenue ticket on JAL.

Agents must simply look for the following JAL fare class availability:
  • Economy Class Award = T
  • Business Class Award = U
  • First Class Award = Z
rmc1 and htran88 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum
FWIW, I called yesterday morning to put a hold on a JFK-HND award in first. First agent I spoke with insisted there was no availability (despite showing as available on BA, JAL, and Alaska sites) and tried to tell me AA gets different award availability between the programs. Called back immediately with a different agent and she found it immediately without any instructions from me. So it's clearly dependent on the agent you get - some are pretty knowledgeable.

Possibly the most surprising part of the whole experience was when I called to ticket the booking this morning and the agent preemptively gave me the JAL record locator to pick seats without me having to ask her. First time that's ever happened
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by jayboo33
Okay, it might have been that I got an unexperienced rep the first time, because when I called AA again this time there were no glitches. Flights booked in Business Class JAL with no problems. Always a relief @flyingeph12, thanks again for the advice.
Just be warned LAXKIX does not operate with a proper lie flat 787. Its like flying J in the early 2000s. Same great JAL service, though.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Free agent
Running into a brick wall. Alaska shows JAL inventory from NRT-BKK. British and American do not. I called Alaska and they say they can't immediately confirm it, will take 24 hours for JAL to respond. I've HUCA'd a dozen times to American and have gotten agents that admit they know the new procedure of searching U inventory but still see it zero'd out.

Is this possible? Will the Alaska space be rejected by JAL once they try to confirm it? I'm suspicious given British shows no availability.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I just refunded some award space on JL 60 KIX-LAX on Jan 3 in case anybody is trying to get home from the holidays. 2 business awards.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by IamHungry
If Alaska Air shows JAL award availability and BA does not. Does it mean AA can book it too? Or JAL gives alaska another bucket of award tickets?
This is the exact scenario I am running into:

JAL Website = Available
Alaska Website = Available
British Website = Not Available
American = Agents can't see it even after saying they are using the new procedure
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546

Just be warned LAXKIX does not operate with a proper lie flat 787. Its like flying J in the early 2000s. Same great JAL service, though.
A friend from Osaka just told me the same thing. He says it's because Osaka people are notoriously cheap lol. In any case, I will climb aboard with lower expectations, but I do look forward to the food and service - first time on JAL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.