Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by sriirvine
Thanks frisbfreek! It's obvious once you pointed it out! Do people set alerts on U/Z on AwardNexus? I thought EF doesn't show JAL award availablity, only open revenue seats?
JL releases seats at 10am JST daily, so you can just check around that time once/day. I don’t really use AwardNexus, but yes EF doesn’t show JL and CX availability.
sriirvine and E55 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I do not see any saver availability even on JAL's site for March 2nd.
Same thing popping back up today. JL and QF websites are showing 5 seats on the NRT - JFK route in business for March 2nd, yet BA shows nothing and AA reps don't see any seats available. I feel like I'm missing something
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by NYCroots
Same thing popping back up today. JL and QF websites are showing 5 seats on the NRT - JFK route in business for March 2nd, yet BA shows nothing and AA reps don't see any seats available. I feel like I'm missing something
You are not missing it. The AA agents are. The space is showing up even on AS now. AA should be able to book it. The agent you were dealing with just did not know the correct procedure to do it. You need to HUCA until you find an agent that can do it or ask for a supervisor to help.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:58 am

You are not missing it. The AA agents are. The space is showing up even on AS now. AA should be able to book it. The agent you were dealing with just did not know the correct procedure to do it. You need to HUCA until you find an agent that can do it or ask for a supervisor to help.
Thanks for tipping me off to this availability!

Both times I've experienced this, JL and QF website availability match, while AS and BA show nothing, and AA reps see nothing. Now that I see the availability on AS and BA, the AA rep should be able to book it. One other note though is that for this March 2nd NRT - JFK flight, both JL and QF are showing five seats but AS and BA both show only 1.

Editing to add: In both of the above situations, I called AA and reps were able to see JL availability for other flights/classes, but not the J class on NRT - JFK, so I don't believe it to be an issue of getting a rep who doesn't know how to search for JL award seats

Last edited by NYCroots; Jan 29, 2019 at 6:24 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:05 am

Both times I've experienced this, JL and QF website availability match, while AS and BA show nothing, and AA reps see nothing. Now that I see the availability on AS and BA, the AA rep should be able to book it. One other note though is that for this March 2nd NRT - JFK flight, both JL and QF are showing five seats but AS and BA both show only 1.

Editing to add: In both of the above situations, I called AA and reps were able to see JL availability for other flights/classes, but not the J class on NRT - JFK, so I don't believe it to be an issue of getting a rep who doesn't know how to search for JL award seats
Just out of curiosity, do you see any difference in availability if you call AA agents abroad (e.g. Singapore AA call center)?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:58 am

AS and BA now showing 1J. QF still 5. This is leading me to believe that the difference in availability is based on the point of sale. But, there should be 1J so get it while it's hot.

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Just out of curiosity, do you see any difference in availability if you call AA agents abroad (e.g. Singapore AA call center)?
Excellent suggestion. This may work if indeed the difference in availability is based on the point of sale.
E55 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:14 am

Huge thanks to both ukinny2000 and skimthetrees, as calling up the Australia call center worked!

As I'm trying to my friend and I from Singapore to NYC, JL only releasing this NRT - JFK availability did prove to be somewhat of a challenge. The AUS AA rep confirmed space for 2 on the NRT - JFK flight, but then couldn't find any from SIN - TYO in either J or Y (which I expected, as I hadn't seen any availability online on any website). However, I could tell from the QF website that the entire SIN - NRT - JFK itinerary was available in Y, so I asked the rep to hold that, replace the NRT - JFK Y segment with the available J segment, and then ticket. Current status is 'on request', so hopefully this wraps up and then I can just worry about getting the SIN - NRT segment upgraded to J, but my trip won't be ruined if it doesn't work out that way.
ukinny2000 and E55 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:58 am

Huge thanks to both ukinny2000 and skimthetrees, as calling up the Australia call center worked!

As I'm trying to my friend and I from Singapore to NYC, JL only releasing this NRT - JFK availability did prove to be somewhat of a challenge. The AUS AA rep confirmed space for 2 on the NRT - JFK flight, but then couldn't find any from SIN - TYO in either J or Y (which I expected, as I hadn't seen any availability online on any website). However, I could tell from the QF website that the entire SIN - NRT - JFK itinerary was available in Y, so I asked the rep to hold that, replace the NRT - JFK Y segment with the available J segment, and then ticket. Current status is 'on request', so hopefully this wraps up and then I can just worry about getting the SIN - NRT segment upgraded to J, but my trip won't be ruined if it doesn't work out that way.

Glad it worked out. I added a quick entry into the Wiki to reflect this situation
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hoping someone can help me out. Is this a valid one way award? HKG-NRT-SYD all on JL. Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by exc3ll
Hoping someone can help me out. Is this a valid one way award? HKG-NRT-SYD all on JL. Thanks!
Asia 2 to South Pacific cannot connect in Asia 1 on a single award. So you can book it, but it will cost you 2 awards and more miles.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Asia 2 to South Pacific cannot connect in Asia 1 on a single award. So you can book it, but it will cost you 2 awards and more miles.
Thanks so much JJeffrey!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:10 pm

Hi there!
Hope someone can help with this...

I am trying to book 3 biz awards on JAL for SFO-HND-SIN.
3 biz awards SFO-HND are confirmed.
3 biz awards HND-SIN showing available on QF, BA, and JAL websites.
But when I try to add it to my existing long haul (SFO-HND) booking, only 2 biz awards are available. HOWEVER, if all 3 biz awards (HND-SIN) are available if booked as a stand alone award reservation. Did the award availability drop due to the married segment with the long haul flight?
I called the Australia AA number, they are seeing the same thing. Not sure what can be done.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by frugaltraveller
Hi there!
Hope someone can help with this...

I am trying to book 3 biz awards on JAL for SFO-HND-SIN.
3 biz awards SFO-HND are confirmed.
3 biz awards HND-SIN showing available on QF, BA, and JAL websites.
But when I try to add it to my existing long haul (SFO-HND) booking, only 2 biz awards are available. HOWEVER, if all 3 biz awards (HND-SIN) are available if booked as a stand alone award reservation. Did the award availability drop due to the married segment with the long haul flight?
I called the Australia AA number, they are seeing the same thing. Not sure what can be done.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!
Split your booking into 2 travelers in one booking and 1 traveler in another then claim the 2 existing awards and try to pick up the 3rd separately.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:50 pm

Split your booking into 2 travelers in one booking and 1 traveler in another then claim the 2 existing awards and try to pick up the 3rd separately.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I do that, the 3rd will end up sitting in a separate cabin if the 3rd biz seat doesn't open up. We prefer to be seated together. I can book the 3rd seat as a separate award, but that's like throwing away miles. I am not mile-rich enough to do that. LOL!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frugaltraveller
Thanks for the suggestion. If I do that, the 3rd will end up sitting in a separate cabin if the 3rd biz seat doesn't open up. We prefer to be seated together. I can book the 3rd seat as a separate award, but that's like throwing away miles. I am not mile-rich enough to do that. LOL!
You have to choose what is more important - sitting together in the same cabin or spending more miles. It is award travel after all, that is not like you can get to choose what you want, beggars cannot be choosers as the cliche says.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.