Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by NYCroots
Read through the thread and it doesn't look like this has been answered conclusively, but I'm dealing with the same situation on NRT - JFK JAL flights, where Qantas and JAL websites are showing availability in business (the JAL website showing at the 50k partner-level), while BA and AS are not. When calling AA twice, both reps saw availability in economy, but nothing in business.
Dates? Any connections or just the non-stop NRT-JFK?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Dates? Any connections or just the non-stop NRT-JFK?
Non-stop NRT - JFK on March 2nd. JAL website is showing 3 seats left at the 50k level
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by NYCroots
Non-stop NRT - JFK on March 2nd. JAL website is showing 3 seats left at the 50k level
I do not see any saver availability even on JAL's site for March 2nd.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum
I do not see any saver availability even on JAL's site for March 2nd.
Yeah, I'm seeing 102,500 per ticket on the JAL website
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
That trend was a fluke. JL is currently releasing space for 12/19 today. If you are looking at 11/20 you are about a month too late.

Most likely somebody just cancelled an award and the space went back into inventory.
With all due respect it wasn't a one-day fluke. It was at least a four-day fluke/trend:

On 1/18, 1-2 F awards available for travel on 11/16 on NRT-JFK, HND-JFK, NRT-ORD, HND-SFO
On 1/19, 1-2 F awards available for travel on 11/17 on all routes above plus NRT-LAX
On 1/20, 1-2 F awards available for travel on 11/18 on all routes above
On 1/21, 1-2 F awards available for travel on 11/19 on all routes above
On 1/22, no F awards appeared for travel on 11/20 on any route

In each case, the availability above was pulled ~24 hours after they were first released and replaced by availability on the following day. Could've been a "fluke" in that JL never intended to release the space, but I and at least one other FTer managed to book these awards. At the time, I thought it might've been more an intentional "trend" than a "fluke", but who knows.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
With all due respect it wasn't a one-day fluke. It was at least a four-day fluke/trend:

On 1/18, 1-2 F awards available for travel on 11/16 on NRT-JFK, HND-JFK, NRT-ORD, HND-SFO
On 1/19, 1-2 F awards available for travel on 11/17 on all routes above plus NRT-LAX
On 1/20, 1-2 F awards available for travel on 11/18 on all routes above
On 1/21, 1-2 F awards available for travel on 11/19 on all routes above
On 1/22, no F awards appeared for travel on 11/20 on any route

In each case, the availability above was pulled ~24 hours after they were first released and replaced by availability on the following day. Could've been a "fluke" in that JL never intended to release the space, but I and at least one other FTer managed to book these awards. At the time, I thought it might've been more an intentional "trend" than a "fluke", but who knows.
I stand corrected. Good research there. Hopefully this can help someone. It could be that someone else has realized the same pattern you have and camps on space for a certain day or days.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by louie-m
I'm looking for a JAL award flight from Australia to Japan and can see availability on BA on two different dates, but I've tried two agents and neither of them can see the flights. Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by Brooke.E
I would try at least a few more agents.
Thanks for the response. I got there in the end. In case it helps anyone else, I tried four agents, each time just asking them about the one JAL flight that I thought might be an issue as that was the only one of a series of four flights where I didn't have any alternative. None of them could see flights that I could see on both BA and Qantas. On the fifth attempt, I asked the agent to check the whole series of four optimal flights (shorthaul, JAL longhaul, other OW longhaul, shorthaul) and that was no problem. I don't know if they have to do anything different if they are searching for multiple airlines flights at the same time or whether it is just a coincidence, but last time I tried to get JAL flights - and had no trouble getting them first time - I took the same approach.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is it normal for a booking in a few months to stay "on request" and take a couple of days to process? Feel like I'm used to last minute bookings and having them go through pretty quickly.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gizayabasu
Is it normal for a booking in a few months to stay "on request" and take a couple of days to process? Feel like I'm used to last minute bookings and having them go through pretty quickly.
Yes, this is normal, assuming you are talking about your booking being the queue for ticketing, during which the booking status on AA.com shows as "on request". As you implied, awards are queued for review and ticketing based on date of departure, with close-in travel prioritized. That said, if your booking still shows as "on request" for more than 4-5 days, I'd call in; chances are something is holding up ticketing. Most of my awards, even those for travel 6+ months out, ticket in 24-72 hours.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I called AA to add a segment and request ticketing of my award on JAL at ~1:15am yesterday and I got the e-mail confirming that it was ticketed at 9:08am that morning. My flights are not until next December. So while it seems to be quite normal for these to take a couple of days to ticket it seems very strange that my ticket for a flight that is 11 months out was ticketed more quickly than your ticket that is only a few months out so maybe just call and double check that there isn't a problem.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is longer than 48 to 72 hours, very high probability there are some kinds of issues. Whenever that happened to our reservations, when called back, the next or the next next agent often found out where it went wrong - the most common issue for us was the agent forgot to do an extra step when we agreed on voluntary downgrade with a J redemption. (very common these days with AA's domestic connection) Presumably even it is booked in T with voluntary downgrade, agent needs to enter some code to denote the passenger has agreed and accepted the downgrade.
Usually our reservations are ticketed within the first 24 hours. Very rarely goes beyond that. This is across the board with virtually all partner awards.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:02 pm

I have had to wait several days in the past, not because of issues but because of how far in advance that I booked award tickets. It seems like closer in tickets get priority. Still never hurts though to inquire as to the reason. It could be, as others have stated, an issue.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:45 am

Hello,
I'm have 2 J and 2 Y on hold next Christmas time. Looks like the wiki says that more availability doesn't show up after the initial load till ~ 14 days out. However, I see some people saw F/J seats open up after well after 330 days but before ~14 days out. Are those datapoints just anomalies? I'm really hoping we can upgrade the 2 Y -> J!

On another note, how is everyone seeing F availability on BA? BA only seems to list Y, PY and J.

Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by sriirvine
Hello,
I'm have 2 J and 2 Y on hold next Christmas time. Looks like the wiki says that more availability doesn't show up after the initial load till ~ 14 days out. However, I see some people saw F/J seats open up after well after 330 days but before ~14 days out. Are those datapoints just anomalies? I'm really hoping we can upgrade the 2 Y -> J!

On another note, how is everyone seeing F availability on BA? BA only seems to list Y, PY and J.

Thanks.
J seats do open up before the 14 day mark; F seats typically do not unless someone cancels their F award seat and it goes back into inventory. For the BA website, you need to select either “business” or “first” class to see first availability (BA only shows 3 classes at a time).
sriirvine and E55 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by frisbfreek
J seats do open up before the 14 day mark; F seats typically do not unless someone cancels their F award seat and it goes back into inventory. For the BA website, you need to select either “business” or “first” class to see first availability (BA only shows 3 classes at a time).
Thanks frisbfreek! It's obvious once you pointed it out! Do people set alerts on U/Z on AwardNexus? I thought EF doesn't show JAL award availablity, only open revenue seats?
E55 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.