Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by frisbfreek

QF shows inventory within 72 hours, so switch from BA to QF at that time.
thanks! The only problem is QF’s site doesn’t allow award searches from iPhone. Ugh!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by Ross0

thanks! The only problem is QF’s site doesn’t allow award searches from iPhone. Ugh!
Yeah I ran into the same problem. There is a super old browser called Puffin... it’s the only one that I’ve found to work (in desktop mode)!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ross0

maybe try chrome on iPhone, it has an option to request desktop site rather than mobile
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by frisbfreek

Yeah I ran into the same problem. There is a super old browser called Puffin... it’s the only one that I’ve found to work (in desktop mode)!
Wow. totally random, but it worked. Awesome. Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by ryan182

maybe try chrome on iPhone, it has an option to request desktop site rather than mobile
Thanks, but unfortunately that doesn't work.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:49 am

Where to Find the Taxes and Fees?

Hi all, just booked an award economy flight on JAL using AA miles from JFK-GMP in April and the taxes and fees came out to $83.33, but I can't seem to find where the individual taxes/fees are? Did seat selection on the North American JAL website successfully, but they don't seem to popping up there either. Any guidance would be appreciated!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by soarin3
Hi all, just booked an award economy flight on JAL using AA miles from JFK-GMP in April and the taxes and fees came out to $83.33, but I can't seem to find where the individual taxes/fees are? Did seat selection on the North American JAL website successfully, but they don't seem to popping up there either. Any guidance would be appreciated!
When you pull up your reservation at aa.com, under the "Cost Summary" section is there not a link for "Price and Tax Information"? This is where the taxes are broken out. $83 seems high, looking at ITA it should be around ~$40.

As to the seats, IME sometimes the seats you select the JL website take a bit to appear correctly at aa.com
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Quick question: What is the fare code for JL First class when searching for award availability on Expert Flyer? I thought it was Z but I don't see it.

Also, does anyone know how/when JL will release award space on flights when they are F6? Thanks!!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy10
Quick question: What is the fare code for JL First class when searching for award availability on Expert Flyer? I thought it was Z but I don't see it.
It is Z but EF currently does not support searching JL award/upgrade classes. You'll have to look on the BA, QF, and/or AS websites.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AA, BA
Originally Posted by soarin3
Sorry but this is not a direct response to your question.

But congrats on getting the booking.

I've been trying to book an AA award Economy flight on JAL GMP-HND in Sept with no success. Availability is seen on AS and BA sites but the AA agents I've been speaking to for the last 2 days see nothing. Any pointers to share?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by MeeBee
Sorry but this is not a direct response to your question.

But congrats on getting the booking.

I've been trying to book an AA award Economy flight on JAL GMP-HND in Sept with no success. Availability is seen on AS and BA sites but the AA agents I've been speaking to for the last 2 days see nothing. Any pointers to share?
Ask if they know about the "new" (old now but maybe some agents are still clueless?) procedure to search for JL award availability? If not ask them to search for the memo that describes how to do it or advise them of the new procedure.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....booking-guide/

What’s the secret? AA agents must search for JAL award space as if they were booking a revenue ticket on JAL.

Agents must simply look for the following JAL fare class availability:
  • Economy Class Award = T
  • Business Class Award = U
  • First Class Award = Z

A memo went out to AA agents explaining the new process (which you are welcome to reference when you book), but it seems many have not read it. AA agents employee the same method for booking award space on Malaysia Airlines.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:33 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MeeBee
Welcome to FlyerTalk, MeeBee.

Two thoughts that may (or may not) help: Given that the cities you are flying between both have more than one airport, be sure that the AAgent understands exactly what you want. You could also quite truthfully say that you checked a short while ago and believe there should be "T" class availability on flights JLxxx and JLyyy.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:27 pm

Hi guys,
Currently, i got 2 seats in First Class for my mom and brother from NRT-LAX on February 10th using AA miles. My wife and I would love to join them on the same flight, so Just wondering if anyone was able to book 4 First Class seats on the same flight before? Or if JAL ever released that many seats for award on the same flight? Would love to hear your booking experiences regarding similar situations? Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:32 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dtpham1020
[...] 4 First Class seats [...] if JAL ever released that many seats for award on the same flight?
Yes. As various reports (and the wiki) confirm, JL (i) sometimes releases as many as 4 F redemption seats when booking opens and (iii) may release available F seats, except the last one, during a period of approximately 14 days before a flight.

To get a slightly better idea of how likely this is on a specific flight, look at: current availability (how many F seats is the airline prepared to sell?), unselected F seats and how full the other cabins appear to be. You can also monitor the same flight on other days between now and 10 February to see if you can identify any release patterns.

Looking at JL62 on February 10, you clearly have a chance.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Are Haneda and Narita airports considered co-terminals by AA? That is, would I be allowed to change a flight departing from Haneda to a flight departing Narita (or vice versa)? Besides this, origin and destination would be the same just the departing airport from same origin. Would this be possible without incurring any charges or change fees? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.