Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
What kind of ticketing times have people been seeing lately? I'm waiting for one Asia 2 -> Asia 1 and one Asia 1 -> US to come through, but travel isn't for another 300+ days so I'm anticipating that it's near the bottom of the queue.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
What kind of ticketing times have people been seeing lately? I'm waiting for one Asia 2 -> Asia 1 and one Asia 1 -> US to come through, but travel isn't for another 300+ days so I'm anticipating that it's near the bottom of the queue.
Have one booked August 3rd for about a week or so now and haven't been ticketed yet.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m
Have one booked August 3rd for about a week or so now and haven't been ticketed yet.
I'd give AA a call just to check on it if you haven't already. I've usually had mine (on JL) ticket in under 24 hours, and never over 48. It's possible there's a backlog messing things up, but a week sounds like cause for some concern, unless you've already spoken to someone.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
I booked 2 tickets on 9-30, called mid week, they checked said all was ok and give it another 48 hours. Was a little worried as 1 was Intl/Dom. That one ticketed yesterday afternoon, strange. Still waiting on the 1 wholly international. Flights are for Dec.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:05 am

I booked 2 tickets around 9/26 for next August that haven't ticketed. I called in last week and they said they only had JAL person doing the ticketing right now so it could be a while but not to worry.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
I booked 2 tickets on 9-30, called mid week, they checked said all was ok and give it another 48 hours. Was a little worried as 1 was Intl/Dom. That one ticketed yesterday afternoon, strange. Still waiting on the 1 wholly international. Flights are for Dec.
My Asia 2 -> Asia 1 just ticketed in 44 hours. Hoping the TPAC award pushes though soon....

I'm realizing that the two passengers on the ticketed award don't have consecutive ticket numbers. I wonder who got the ticket in between, or if something went awry during the process.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:27 pm

I'd give AA a call just to check on it if you haven't already. I've usually had mine (on JL) ticket in under 24 hours, and never over 48. It's possible there's a backlog messing things up, but a week sounds like cause for some concern, unless you've already spoken to someone.
Gave them a call and they said while it is weird that its taking so long, everything looks perfectly fine and they're just waiting on the JAL side to ticket.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
Gave them a call and they said while it is weird that its taking so long, everything looks perfectly fine and they're just waiting on the JAL side to ticket.
As an alternating data point, my second reservation ticketed after I called ~60 hours after making the reservation. The agent on the phone made no promises, but managed to get the thing pushed through. I did mention that it was my honeymoon, which may have helped, but I'm relieved that this is done.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
As an alternating data point, my second reservation ticketed after I called ~60 hours after making the reservation. The agent on the phone made no promises, but managed to get the thing pushed through. I did mention that it was my honeymoon, which may have helped, but I'm relieved that this is done.
I have a JL/F ticket that's been on request for over a week. I've called twice now. After checking with her support desk, the last agent said they are working on (paraphrasing) on tickets in the order of flight date and since mine is for late-March, it might not be until November when my ticket is confirmed. This is obviously not true since my partner's flight was ticketed within 48hours. I'm calling back tonight and insisting that they escalate.

On another note, the wiki on this thread says, "JL updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time." In my recent experience with two successful (? see above) F redemptions, the inventory showed before 830am Pacific Time (I used ba.com to search). In at least one instance, I checked the night before. Don't remember if I did for both.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:25 am

Mine has been pending for a couple weeks now. I wouldn't worry too much unless your flight is right around the corner.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:02 am

As a data point, I changed a Tokyo-LAX return from J on AA to F on JL last night after finding availability. It may be because I previously had the reservation, but the change ticketed within 20 minutes.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:51 am

For those who booked JAL business class, wat do you think about JAL blocking all window seats for non-elite?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:40 am

Mine was pending about 24 hours then ticketed. Traveling during x-mas.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by IamHungry
Mine was pending about 24 hours then ticketed. Traveling during x-mas.
I changed a flight date around Christmas and have been waiting 3 days now so far. Maybe a combination of holiday and storm this week just overwhelmed some staff.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:25 pm

Adding a data point that I made a reservation for JAL J class 2 days ago. Still showing on request and not ticketed. I called twice and spoke with 2 different reps and both said everything look fine; I just need to be patient. Saw AA miles deducted from my account this morning (2 days after booking). Hopefully they'll issue the ticket soon. Past reservations were ticketed within 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.