Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:20 pm

Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by broland
No, it doesn't ...
Appreciate the reply.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Thank you to those that replied above. A second F seat did not open up, so we ended up flying with my wife in F and me in J (but 2A and 5A so close to each other - she gave me her caviar, which she doesn’t eat, which for some reason distressed the cabin crew, but oh well).
For others looking for F/J availability, my experience here for JFK - Tokyo was good J availability (I booked 2 together, and 2 other seats did open up eventually), and limited F availability (1 seat opened up 10 days before departure).
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:16 am

from the Wiki:
"All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport "

I am hoping to book one-way SIN-HND/NRT-KIX in J on JL using AA miles. Does the above mean that I will have to book the domestic leg in Y, but when AA prices the award it should be 30k miles (per the J award rate). Any complications if I wanted to book such a mixed-cabin itinerary?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by VanquishShadow
from the Wiki:
"All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport "

I am hoping to book one-way SIN-HND/NRT-KIX in J on JL using AA miles. Does the above mean that I will have to book the domestic leg in Y, but when AA prices the award it should be 30k miles (per the J award rate). Any complications if I wanted to book such a mixed-cabin itinerary?
You are correct, no complications at all with taking a downgrade on one leg of an award.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by VanquishShadow
from the Wiki:

Correct. AA will default to Y on the domestic JL legs. No complications whatsoever. If you want to upgrade at the airport on NRT-KIX, it'll be approx $10 USD for J (really just a premium economy but well worth the upgrade cost) or around $100 for F (although I don't believe domestic F is offered on this route).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:30 pm

Hi I'm new and Googled but can't find a solution to booking domestic JL flights with QF international flights.

I would like to book on 16 April 2019 2x tickets:

1) Sapporo (CTS) to Haneda (HND) on JL 522 in Economy
2) HND to AKL on QF 26 and QF 143 in Business

I talked to an AAdvantage agent today and they can see space on JL 522 but cannot proceed and confirm the booking. The HND-AKL flights were bookable have been put on hold.

Is it possible to add the domestic JL flight to complete my itinerary and when can I call and request it? I can only see JL domestic space to the end of August 2018 via BAEC and Alaska Mileage Plan.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:37 pm

Need help using AADVANTAGE miles to book a ticket from Lax to OKJ (okayama) in business class for december 28th 2018. I have the LAX-HND part on hold. When I call the AAVANTAGE DESK, they are not able to see any flights from HND-OKJ. What can I do to get the connection part of my flight?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:04 pm

Does anyone use any other tools other than BA to find JAL reward space? The BA site is terrible. I'm looking for 2 x F or J seats from HND or NRT to pretty much anywhere in the USA for mid Feb 2019 and the site is so dreadful I cannot find anything.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:52 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bennyblanco
Does anyone use any other tools other than BA to find JAL reward space?
I sometimes search on QF or JL, or let Award Nexus search on my behalf.

Originally Posted by bennyblanco
The BA site is terrible [...] the site is so dreadful I cannot find anything.
The BA search engine has its moments, and is obviously primarily designed to look for BA inventory, but sometimes the reason for not being able to find availability is simply that it isn't there. The seats you're looking for most probably either became available four months ago or won't be released until late January or early February.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
I sometimes search on QF or JL, or let Award Nexus search on my behalf.

The BA search engine has its moments, and is obviously primarily designed to look for BA inventory, but sometimes the reason for not being able to find availability is simply that it isn't there. The seats you're looking for most probably either became available four months ago or won't be released until late January or early February.
Thanks. I was able to book 2 x F tickets (ORD -> NRT) and saw lots of availability for many dates around early Feb 2019. Weird that there are no returns. I guess I'll setup an Award Nexus search and keep looking - thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I am planning a trip using AA awards on JAL for my family. While searching for availability on BA, we cannot get any flights to Osaka / KIX connecting through Tokyo - we want to take a connection there to explore for a day (less than 24 hours - so not a stopover). If I find availability on the US to Tokyo portion, how do I 1) find availability for Tokyo-Osaka and 2) what is the proper way to ask or instruct the AAgent to book it? Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
If I wanted to book JFK-Tokyo in F with AA miles for april when do I need to book? I have the return trip booked with another airline and I am waitlisted for the flight out to Asia. Just not sure its going to clear or not and want to use AA miles as an emergency backup.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:28 pm

How early can I book JAL business class award ticket?
I'm looking for a one way ticket in 11/17 or 11/18
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msworldwanderer
How early can I book JAL business class award ticket?<br />I'm looking for a one way ticket in 11/17 or 11/18
330 days out. Assuming you’re taking about 2019, you have time to wait.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I believe there is a typo in the wiki.
  • JL initially releases awards 330 days out at 10:00 am JST / 18:00 PST / 17:00 PDT time
Should be 18:00 PDT / 17:00 PST.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.