Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:23 am

Why is it when I'm looking 330 days out from now (1/4, 1/5), I'm seeing 0 J and 0 F availability on any flights. Have all J and F really been booked from 6 PM PDT yesterday to now?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Looking to book a return flight from Hanoi to DCA/IAD/BWI for January 11, 2017. I'd prefer to fly CX through HKG, but I wanted to see if HAN-NRT-(US)-DCA would be a back up possibility.

Looks like the same rules apply for JAL as CX, is that right? (330 days out, connecting flights are allowed as long as the stop over is less than 23h59m)?

Does JAL fly east (saving a day on the return trip)?
Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Why is it when I'm looking 330 days out from now (1/4, 1/5), I'm seeing 0 J and 0 F availability on any flights. Have all J and F really been booked from 6 PM PDT yesterday to now?
Generally, the same rules apply for JL as CX. JL fare rules may allow certain routing that CX does not, and vice versa, but I'd say unless you're looking to do some crazy routing you shouldn't run into issues.

There is no guarantee that JL or CX will have award seats available at the 331 day window, especially since the few days after New Year's are generally peak travel days. Also, some airlines like CX open their schedule out further (e.g., 360 days), and award seats may be booked by CX's own members, or members of other FF programs that open their schedules further out (e.g., QF members can book 350ish days out I think).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by anubond005
I am planning a trip to BKK in nov. wife is already booked on 10th BOS-NRT-BKK. We preferred SFO flight becaz that will give us all day in Japan and than take 12:05 am flight to BKK.
Now the problem is I am not on the flight. I have been searching BA site for 2 weeks now. Usually check multiple times during the day. JAL inventory on BA is unchanged for 2 weeks I.e no open J seats on available flights are same for 2 weeks. For ex there's 1 seat from DFW on 9th and 4 seats from SFO on 8th remains unchanged.
Do u think it can be system issue or its constant for JAL availability?
Note- I have never booked JAL before. First timer 😀 Help and comments will be highly appreciated.
Update - 4 F seats opened out of ORD and I wasted no time to grab those. Now itinerary is ATL-ORD-NRT in F, NRT-HKG in J and HKG-BKK (CX) in F. Also stopping in NRT for 19 some hours. Cheers!!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm flying SAN-LAX-NRT-CGK with my wife later this year. LAX-NRT booked in F. When I booked, the only available flight to CGK was the afternoon flight on 767, so downgraded to J. Now F is available the next morning, so considering switching and wondering if it's worth the effort. How are the J seats on the 767? Also, the change would add a 17 hour layover (from 5pm to 10am). Arriving at 5 pm, is that enough time to go into Tokyo and see anything?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I'm flying SAN-LAX-NRT-CGK with my wife later this year. LAX-NRT booked in F. When I booked, the only available flight to CGK was the afternoon flight on 767, so downgraded to J. Now F is available the next morning, so considering switching and wondering if it's worth the effort. How are the J seats on the 767? Also, the change would add a 17 hour layover (from 5pm to 10am). Arriving at 5 pm, is that enough time to go into Tokyo and see anything?
M doing similar. Only difference m getting there at 3:15. If u are getting thr before 7th Nov than u can visit world famous fish market in morning.
Other than that there's tons of interesting stuff to do in Tokyo for a night.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
Also, the change would add a 17 hour layover (from 5pm to 10am). Arriving at 5 pm, is that enough time to go into Tokyo and see anything?
Personally, I wouldn't do it. The airport is roughly 2 hours from the center of Tokyo and you need to factor in the time waiting for the airport limo. The train is faster, but then you have to get to your hotel from the train station as well as clearing immigration. I know many have stayed near Narita at hotels such as the Hilton Narita. That would save a lot of time, but I'm not sure what is interesting right around the hotel. For me, the hassle factor of overnighting would be greater than the benefit of flying F onward.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Personally, I wouldn't do it. The airport is roughly 2 hours from the center of Tokyo and you need to factor in the time waiting for the airport limo. The train is faster, but then you have to get to your hotel from the train station as well as clearing immigration. I know many have stayed near Narita at hotels such as the Hilton Narita. That would save a lot of time, but I'm not sure what is interesting right around the hotel. For me, the hassle factor of overnighting would be greater than the benefit of flying F onward.
You can also check on Narita city. It's 10-15 mins by local sub. It's a small nice city with a shrine.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:05 am

I was typing out about how hard it to find availability in F when I check for seats in November and lo and behold, 3 seats were available! I am elated right now
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:32 pm

We put 2 AA awards on hold for SAN to NRT. J outbound, coach return. When we put the res on hold they stated there was ability to upgrade to J on way back. Now when I call they state there are no flights available in coach or business for our dates. Is this typical of AA? I'm not overly concerned because we have our res on hold but found it interesting.

Last edited by silver02accord; Feb 19, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by silver02accord
We put 2 AA awards on hold for SAN to HND. J outbound, coach return. When we put the res on hold they stated there was ability to upgrade to J on way back. Now when I call they state there are no flights available in coach or business for our dates. Is this typical of AA? I'm not overly concerned because we have our res on hold but found it interesting.
I am sorry but I didnt get ur point. Ru saying its showing avail n AA saying no or the award booking n avail?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:37 pm

Just saying when we put our res on hold, there was additional inventory. Called back the next day and it was gone. I suppose thats how it works but not there is non inventory for a few days on either side.

*Delete*
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:46 pm
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
tried to get jal pvg-nrt-lax using AA on J
searched on ba wiht PVG-LAX and I can see 4 tickets availabe (pvg-nrt, and then nrt-lax).
called aa and was told only 2 available on the NRT-lax flight.

went back to BA and searched NRT-LAX..and it does only got 2 (while I still saw 4 when using PVG-LAX to search) on the same flight..
any idea what's going on here?

thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ls
tried to get jal pvg-nrt-lax using AA on J
searched on ba wiht PVG-LAX and I can see 4 tickets availabe (pvg-nrt, and then nrt-lax).
called aa and was told only 2 available on the NRT-lax flight.

went back to BA and searched NRT-LAX..and it does only got 2 (while I still saw 4 when using PVG-LAX to search) on the same flight..
any idea what's going on here?

thanks.
This is an issue with the BA search engine, particularly with connecting flights. There are likely 4 seats on PVG-NRT and only 2 seats on NRT-LAX, but the search will make it seem like there are 4 seats on both. The best way to check is to search PVG-LAX *for 4 pax*, and the itinerary that you're seeing likely will not show up as available.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:33 pm
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
got it.
booked 2 seats and put 2 in coach now...hopefully JL can release more J/F ...
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
This is an issue with the BA search engine, particularly with connecting flights. There are likely 4 seats on PVG-NRT and only 2 seats on NRT-LAX, but the search will make it seem like there are 4 seats on both. The best way to check is to search PVG-LAX *for 4 pax*, and the itinerary that you're seeing likely will not show up as available.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by ls
got it.
booked 2 seats and put 2 in coach now...hopefully JL can release more J/F ...
What dates were you looking for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.