Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Phantom / false AA award availability with AA partners (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Phantom Award Availability Issues with AA Partners

A number of members report "phantom" award availability using partners' websites to search for AAdvantage awards. BA may have the most reports, but that could be because it's used more than JL or QF. Try using other partner web sites, or one of the travel tools, ExpertFlyer (offers five day trial periods) or KVS.

See:
[b]oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
and
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
Fell for this today. AA showed a whole month of wide open MH inventory that does not freaking exist. Planned a whole complicated trip around it, only to realize when we went to ticket that there is no inventory! Phone agent correctly sees no inventory.

Pissed.
MH inventory exists but there is definitely a problem with the website showing additional inventory that does not exist.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
MH inventory exists but there is definitely a problem with the website showing additional inventory that does not exist.
They got me on this today and then I found this thread.

What AA partner shows accurate inventory so I can keep checking for real availability between now and my trip?
Old May 12, 2022, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
Fell for this today. AA showed a whole month of wide open MH inventory that does not freaking exist. Planned a whole complicated trip around it, only to realize when we went to ticket that there is no inventory! Phone agent correctly sees no inventory.

Pissed.
Same with Fiji Airways, J in August and September, LAX-NAN. Plethora of 80K business awards showing. None of them are actually bookable. (At least none in August; I perversely checked every date.)
Old May 23, 2023, 12:55 pm

I am having a lot of trouble with Phantom / false AA award availability with AA partners (JP, EY, BA... you name it!). Is there a workaround to find avaiability (other partner site, tools such as explert flyer, etc...) that you recommend? Thanks!
Old May 23, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Delete please
Old May 25, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
I called AA EXP about the phantom availability and the advice I got is simply just trial and error clicking. I managed to book our trips for April 2024 to Asia - all in J and F - but it took me few hours of trying. You also need to be flexible and re-adjust e.g., we're flying to DOH to then connect to AUH-TYO. Only one day was truly available on AUH-TYO even though availability was showing for all days. I just snatched it and I'm going to be trying every now and then to see if other days open and I can cancel and rebook. From my searches it seems like this issue is most common for Etihad and JAL First (at least for Asia). I've seem much better accuracy for Qatar, Malaysia, and JAL Business. Actually for Qatar everything I tried was bookable. FWIW return availability DOH-US in business Qsuite at the end of April 2024 is pretty good now.

The way to know if it's there to my understanding is to go to the screen where you have passenger details. Once you're there it should be bookable.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Ghost mileage availability?

I've been looking for premium cabin availability on a certain routing and AA.com is showing 85K, suggesting F, availibility, but then says "no flights available." What is going on here? Can I call and they'll find it?
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
I've been looking for premium cabin availability on a certain routing and AA.com is showing 85K, suggesting F, availibility, but then says "no flights available." What is going on here? Can I call and they'll find it?
It would help to know the routing, dates, etc.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
It would help to know the routing, dates, etc.
LAX or BUR to IST - July 1 or 2. July 2 is showing the ghost availability.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
LAX or BUR to IST - July 1 or 2. July 2 is showing the ghost availability.
I'd call AA. It's likely not real inventory, but have an agent double check.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I'd call AA. It's likely not real inventory, but have an agent double check.
Why is it showing then?
Old Jun 2, 2023, 11:15 am

Why is it showing then?
Wonky AA IT. There's a thread here somewhere where this has been discussed over and over.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
This is just a longstanding aa.com/IT glitch whereby the calendar/dates show that awards are available but when you click on the date nothing actually is. Shows up from time time, been happening for years.

I really wouldn't waste your time calling unless you've cross checked availability on another partner like BA and see space.

This is slightly different than the usual phantom inventory issues discussed below, in those cases flights actually show as available but error out when you start clicking through to book.

Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Why is it showing then?
This is why.

seawolf and Uzzar like this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I saw a lot of phantom this week - Aug 25/26 NAP-LHR-ORD-DEN in F was showing for 85K + taxes on Finnair, BA, AA, but then it gave the error trying to book. Called and agent said there were actually no award seats available on the finnair flight (operated by BA) from NAP-LHR. Tried several other origin cities and she could have originated us in CDG by downgrading the first segment to Y, but the times didn't work well for Concorde room access in LHR.

I started searching the BA site for award tix from Euro cities to LHR to see what what available, how many, what class, and when. Eventually I was able to book DUB-LHR-ORD using a stopover on the BA site for 89K Avios (transferred from Amex MR) and $233 taxes by selecting a Y seat from DUB-LHR. The Biz seat would have brought the taxes up to over $400 per seat. There were 5 F seats on the TATL so that caused no issues using a overnight stopover in London and departing LHR on the 26th. Flight isn't until 1535 so there should be plenty of time to enjoy the CCR. However, I was not able to add any AA flights to the award ticked from the BA site for the ORD-DEN segment, so I will have to book another separately I think. Is that always the case on BA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.