Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Nonstop Transcontinental Flights Lounge Access (master thread)

Nonstop Transcontinental Flights Lounge Access (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 27, 16, 9:05 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Transcontinental Nonstop Flight Class of Service Based Lounge Access

AA Transcontinental Class of Service Based Lounge Access Policy

On nonstop transcontinental JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX routes
all Premium (First and Business) passengers (paid and upgraded) have lounge access.

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental Flight?

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

Code:
JFK-LAX  /  JFK-SFO  /  MIA-LAX

Admirals Club	Flagship Lounge

Two-Class Flight	 	 
First Class		     √

Three-Class Flight	 	 
First Class		     √		     √
Business Class		     √	

Chart adapted by dstan
Link to
Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge Access For Transcon Customers Beginning September 1, 2012.

On nonstop transcontinental JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX three class and two class premium routes, all Premium (First and Business) passengers, paid, award travel, and upgrade) qualify for lounge admittance.

LAX-JFK, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX First class (three class aircraft) passengers receive access to the Flagship lounge at JFK or LAX. There is no Flagship Lounge at MIA or SFO at the present time; access is to the Admirals Club. (MIA Flagship Lounge has been announced.)

See All About AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD; DFW coming? (consolidated) for Flagship (premium) Check-In.

Updated 27 Mar 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 6, 20, 7:45 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
The premium cabin in 772 JFK-LAX flights are marketed as Flagship Business so it would come with Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge access.
cmd320 and econ like this.
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
I'm not sure. Based on how the website is written there isn't any carve out for specific aircraft on this route unlike MIA.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
The premium cabin in 772 JFK-LAX flights are marketed as Flagship Business so it would come with Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge access.
That makes sense and hope you are right. But the language on the website does not make this clear. See below and note the reference to 3 class flights prior to the bullet point list.

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class nonstop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA) Ė traveling on Boeing 777-300 aircraft only
FlyingEgghead and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

You are overthinking about technicalities, even AA has experimented with flying the A321T on MIA-LAX and that had the benefits of course. AA's flight search is very clear, flights with Flagship benefits are clearly labeled FLAGSHIP above the fare, and a business class column appears on the search (and Flagship First on 3 class aircraft). Flights that do not have flagship benefits, no matter what aircraft they are on including the 77W, are sold as domestic First with no Flagship or business class labeling.
Old Oct 7, 20, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 1/[email protected] View Post
That makes sense and hope you are right. But the language on the website does not make this clear. See below and note the reference to 3 class flights prior to the bullet point list.

I didn't realize it had that three class designation up top. Hmm.
Old Oct 7, 20, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
No, it doesn't as it isn't a 3-class; same with LAX MIA flight, i.e., when it isn't operated by a 3-class 77W , no AC access is given. I just did this flight on 772 and several passengers were complaining that they were denied access.

Whilst it doesn't seem fair for AA to do this, they are very strict with their lounge rules requiring 3-class equipment to qualify.
cmd320 and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Oct 7, 20, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
No, it doesn't as it isn't a 3-class; same with LAX MIA flight, i.e., when it isn't operated by a 3-class 77W , no AC access is given. I just did this flight on 772 and several passengers were complaining that they were denied access.

Whilst it doesn't seem fair for AA to do this, they are very strict with their lounge rules requiring 3-class equipment to qualify.
To clarify when you say you "just did this flight" you are referring to LAX-MIA, correct? Since the 772 isn't flying JFK-LAX yet.

As I shared above, American advertises the 772 on LAX-MIA as "First" as in domestic first service and perks, on the 772 on LAX-JFK it is advertised as "Flagship Business," same as if you were flying that aircraft internationally. Thus it should come with Admirals Club access, hot meals, menu, bedding, etc, same as J on the A321T on the same route under current times.

I am curious, on the LAX-MIA 772 flight did you hot meals or the cold packaged food?
Old Oct 7, 20, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whatís the rule on Admirals Club access for premium transcon customers throughout the rest of the day?

For example: flying MCO-MIA-LAX with the first leg in standard domestic F obviously and the second leg in Flagship F. I know Iíd have access in MIA, but would I also in MCO? Iím now realizing the last time I did this MCO didnít have an AC yet so I donít actually know the access rules on that.

From the way I read it on the website, holding a Flagship F/J ticket on a three cabin transcon should grant lounge access throughout that travel day, though as we all know the website isnít always very clear.
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by 1/[email protected] View Post

This page does not include the 3-class description, so the AA webpages aren't entirely consistent.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ontinental.jsp

Your Flagshipģ Business Transcontinental ticket gives you access to elevated amenities and services; available on flights between:
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - New York (JFK)
  • San Francisco (SFO) - JFK
  • LAX - Miami (MIA) Ė traveling on Boeing 777-300 aircraft only
That said, I'd be stunned if AA didn't continue to allow lounge access for those travelling LAX-JFK in J on the 772.
Old Oct 7, 20, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by HiAperture View Post
To clarify when you say you "just did this flight" you are referring to LAX-MIA, correct? Since the 772 isn't flying JFK-LAX yet.

As I shared above, American advertises the 772 on LAX-MIA as "First" as in domestic first service and perks, on the 772 on LAX-JFK it is advertised as "Flagship Business," same as if you were flying that aircraft internationally. Thus it should come with Admirals Club access, hot meals, menu, bedding, etc, same as J on the A321T on the same route under current times.

I am curious, on the LAX-MIA 772 flight did you hot meals or the cold packaged food?
So unfortunately this is another example of AA's endless inconsistencies. Whilst you are right that AA doesn't advertise the 2-class First/Business product as "Flagship Business" on the LAX MIA flight operated by 772, the menu that you are actually given onboard explicitly states "Flagship Business" and you get 4 choices of hot entrees, Casper duvet and pillow, the current Athletic Propulsion amenity kit, and noise cancelling headsets. However, no lounge access. Did LAX MIA a couple times last month and the experience was identical... I asked the AC staff and they told me that the only reason I enjoyed access was because of my CK status (which was consistent with the complaints I had heard from non-CK passengers on a previous LAX MIA flight).

With regards to your comment about LAX JFK, as others posted, AA explicitly requires this to be operated by 3-class A321Ts... if they now decide to allow AC access due to equipment change to 772 they should update their web link but historically, AA has insisted in 3 classes to allow J pax AC access on transcon flights, which seems moronic to me, but AA is not exactly the most intuitive company.

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
What’s the rule on Admirals Club access for premium transcon customers throughout the rest of the day?

For example: flying MCO-MIA-LAX with the first leg in standard domestic F obviously and the second leg in Flagship F. I know I’d have access in MIA, but would I also in MCO? I’m now realizing the last time I did this MCO didn’t have an AC yet so I don’t actually know the access rules on that.

From the way I read it on the website, holding a Flagship F/J ticket on a three cabin transcon should grant lounge access throughout that travel day, though as we all know the website isn’t always very clear.
I'm assuming you mean MCO MIA and then MIA LAX on the 3-class 77W? One of my analysts is Platinum and when he did BOS JFK LAX he was granted access at both BOS and JFK. Fairly certain the same situation would apply to anyone on the MCO MIA LAX itinerary as long as the latter is being operated by the 3-class 77W (4-class really, but sold as 3-class MIA LAX).

Last edited by fly747first; Oct 7, 20 at 11:44 pm
Old Oct 8, 20, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm assuming you mean MCO MIA and then MIA LAX on the 3-class 77W? One of my analysts is Platinum and when he did BOS JFK LAX he was granted access at both BOS and JFK. Fairly certain the same situation would apply to anyone on the MCO MIA LAX itinerary as long as the latter is being operated by the 3-class 77W (4-class really, but sold as 3-class MIA LAX).
Yes, thatís what I was looking for. Thank you. Itís a 738 to MIA and 77W to LAX.
Old Oct 8, 20, 9:09 am

So unfortunately this is another example of AA's endless inconsistencies. Whilst you are right that AA doesn't advertise the 2-class First/Business product as "Flagship Business" on the LAX MIA flight operated by 772, the menu that you are actually given onboard explicitly states "Flagship Business" and you get 4 choices of hot entrees, Casper duvet and pillow, the current Athletic Propulsion amenity kit, and noise cancelling headsets. However, no lounge access. Did LAX MIA a couple times last month and the experience was identical... I asked the AC staff and they told me that the only reason I enjoyed access was because of my CK status (which was consistent with the complaints I had heard from non-CK passengers on a previous LAX MIA flight).

With regards to your comment about LAX JFK, as others posted, AA explicitly requires this to be operated by 3-class A321Ts... if they now decide to allow AC access due to equipment change to 772 they should update their web link but historically, AA has insisted in 3 classes to allow J pax AC access on transcon flights, which seems moronic to me, but AA is not exactly the most intuitive company.
I appreciate the clarification, and I am glad the 772 still gets the limited "Flagship-lite" experience in air under the circumstances on MIA-LAX as that is a long flight for a cold wrapped sandwich or cheese plate.

We are in unusual times for sure, I still assert that if you are booking on AA.com and the word "Flagship" appears above your booking, you should be getting lounge access. It wouldn't shock me if somehow AA doesn't allow people in come next month, but given the Flagship lounges are closed anyway it isn't as much of a loss.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 20, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I doubt AA will update the webpage and I doubt AA will disallow JFK LAX lounge access. Iím surprised it was even updated to remove the short lived BOS flights.
Old Oct 8, 20, 11:56 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by lrdpenn View Post
I doubt AA will update the webpage and I doubt AA will disallow JFK LAX lounge access. Iím surprised it was even updated to remove the short lived BOS flights.
Completely agree,
The case for BOS-LAX flights were that the route was switched back from premium transcontinental to standard domestic with Domestic First service so respectively the club/lounge access based on travel class was respectively removed.

Although, JFK-LAX is operated with 77E's, the premium cabin is still marketed as Flagship Business.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: