Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ABQ Jon
I sold up/upfared from coach to premium economy on an international flight (US to Europe). At the time, the agent who processed the sell-up told me that to upgrade to business from PE would only be 15,000 miles rather than 25,000, and there would be no copay. This is also what the website reflects. I got on the upgrade list, was not charged a copay, and was eventually upgraded on both legs of the outbound (a few minutes after boarding for Rome my BP changed from PE to Biz). However, after the outbound flights last week, I was charged 40,000 miles, then refunded 15,000, for a net charge of 25,000 miles. On both the outbound and return, the domestic leg is in Y, the international (PE) in W. It seems like this should have been a 15,000 mile charge, not 25,000.

I would very much like to complain about this but don't want to spend a lot of vacation time arguing with AA unless I have do. Do I have a legitimate beef or did I misread something?
If you upgraded from Y and W fares then, yes, 15000 each way is what it should be.

I would wait until you return from vacation to sort it out - there's no great rush - unless you need the miles for your return upgrade.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
If you upgraded from Y and W fares then, yes, 15000 each way is what it should be.
See, that's what I thought. However, I did finally check in with AA on this, and the word from the Platinum desk is that there are two types of W PE fares: fully refundable and non-refundable. Non-refundable fares are "discount" fares and require the 25K miles and copay. This might be a lingering consequence of upfaring from what was probably a discount economy fare. There was no upgrade copay, so maybe I'll chalk this one up as a win.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ABQ Jon
See, that's what I thought. However, I did finally check in with AA on this, and the word from the Platinum desk is that there are two types of W PE fares: fully refundable and non-refundable. Non-refundable fares are "discount" fares and require the 25K miles and copay. This might be a lingering consequence of upfaring from what was probably a discount economy fare. There was no upgrade copay, so maybe I'll chalk this one up as a win.
I don't believe them at all - I upgrade W fares all the time and have never encountered any request for more than 15000 miles.

There are indeed different varieties of W fare - some refundable and some not - but the upgrade table does not distinguish between these, it simply distinguishes Discount PE in P and Full-fare PE in W.

I think that whatever they tell you on the phone you should ask them to request a check from the upgrade audit team - these are the folks who can return SWUs when the wrong one is used, and they can go back in time 18-24 months. I've never heard of this being done for Miles Upgrade, but the same principle should apply.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I requested a miles + copay upgrade, provided CC info, etc. My upgrade cleared but no miles or points have been deducted, how long does that typically take to happen.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I requested a miles + copay upgrade, provided CC info, etc. My upgrade cleared but no miles or points have been deducted, how long does that typically take to happen.
I've sometimes had it take over a week for the miles to be deducted and the CC charge to go through.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
I am waitlisted for a miles + copay upgrade, and C space has opened up, but the AA CSR refused to process the upgrade off the waitlist even though there are seats available. In the past, I never had an issue getting the upgrade pushed through over the phone with inventory available. Did I just get a bad agent?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by trek87
I am waitlisted for a miles + copay upgrade, and C space has opened up, but the AA CSR refused to process the upgrade off the waitlist even though there are seats available. In the past, I never had an issue getting the upgrade pushed through over the phone with inventory available. Did I just get a bad agent?
Yes, HUCA. Some agents won't process it if you're already on the waitlist.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by trek87
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, HUCA. Some agents won't process it if you're already on the waitlist.
I do wonder if/when AA will close this loophole. I certainly have benefited from this situation (i.e. jumping the wait list) and will continue to pursue it if they allow it, but my understanding is on United, for example, this is not allowed and that the wait list is pretty strictly adhered to and automated and agents will not circumvent (I don't yet have personal experience w/United, but that is my understanding from researching)

Regards
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I don't believe them at all - I upgrade W fares all the time and have never encountered any request for more than 15000 miles.

There are indeed different varieties of W fare - some refundable and some not - but the upgrade table does not distinguish between these, it simply distinguishes Discount PE in P and Full-fare PE in W.

I think that whatever they tell you on the phone you should ask them to request a check from the upgrade audit team - these are the folks who can return SWUs when the wrong one is used, and they can go back in time 18-24 months. I've never heard of this being done for Miles Upgrade, but the same principle should apply.
Will do. They've actually blocked my AAdvantage account now. According to CS in the UK call center (I'm still in Italy), AA had tried to charge the $350 copay and there was a problem with the CC on file, so rather than, say, sending an e-mail, they blocked the account. I used the CC on file two weeks ago to purchase a few sticker upgrades, and a week ago to pay the taxes on an award reservation, and according to the card company everything is fine. I'll have to try US-based CS when they come back online. It seems that when something goes wrong during your international travel, AA's first resort is to lock you out of your account.

Edited to add:
The supervisor at the US-based AAdvantage Customer Service was able to fix this. There should be no copay on upgrades to C from W, and only 15k miles each way, not 25k. It took some research on their end, but the final resolution is that the 25k transaction is being reversed, my account will be unlocked, and no copay is required. I did have to repeat "That's not what the published award chart states" a few times before being transferred to the supervisor. My travel plans were not affected; the upgrade for the return had already cleared and I'd checked in online this morning. It sounds like the W fare was (incorrectly?) flagged as 'discount' because the original economy fare was discount.

Last edited by ABQ Jon; Jun 12, 2019 at 9:13 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Has anyone been successful in a domestic same day flight change within 24 hours after this upgrade clears in advance? Or do you have to go through the full clearance process again if trying to take an earlier flight?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:42 pm

I was put on the waitlist for an upcoming flight (in 2 weeks) but I see inventory in C. Can I call American and asked them to go ahead and process the upgrade?

I am doing a DFW-LAX-HKG leg. Will I also be able to use the 25,000 miles to upgrade the entire trip or will I need to use stickers for the DFW-LAX leg?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ilkhats44
I was put on the waitlist for an upcoming flight (in 2 weeks) but I see inventory in C. Can I call American and asked them to go ahead and process the upgrade?

I am doing a DFW-LAX-HKG leg. Will I also be able to use the 25,000 miles to upgrade the entire trip or will I need to use stickers for the DFW-LAX leg?
Yes, you can call AA to process the upgrade. The 25,000 miles will cover both legs as long as it's on the same ticket and there is C available on both legs.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by ilkhats44

I'm guessing you're seeing the Expert Flyer "phantom" C space. You have to search LAX-HKG specifically on EF for C space, not DFW-LAX-HKG.

It's unusual for AA to open C space 2 weeks early on that flight in peak season, so double check your search on this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:22 am

I'm fairly new to this, but I am trying to upgrade a paid AA flight MIA - GIG.

I signed up for EF and have searched probably 15 random dates (close in, far away, in season, out of season, etc.) and have only seen C = 0. I have been searching with +/- 3 days so I have probably viewed nearly 100 days of this flight with no c space whatsoever.

Is this normal? Is there a pattern where one can predict availability, or is it a lost cause?

FWIW I booked:
MIA-GIG economy
COR-MIA business
$1,100

While it seems like a great price, I am having second thoughts because 1.) the j flight is a daytime flight 2.) I might want to upgrade the MIA-GIG leg to PE as it was only +$300 and 3.) I thought maybe I could swing an upgrade from economy to business on the MIA-GIG but now I am thinking that perhaps not.

Thanks for any input. I still have 23 hours to cancel
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dval44
I'm fairly new to this, but I am trying to upgrade a paid AA flight MIA - GIG.

I signed up for EF and have searched probably 15 random dates (close in, far away, in season, out of season, etc.) and have only seen C = 0. I have been searching with +/- 3 days so I have probably viewed nearly 100 days of this flight with no c space whatsoever.

Is this normal? Is there a pattern where one can predict availability, or is it a lost cause?

FWIW I booked:
MIA-GIG economy
COR-MIA business
$1,100

While it seems like a great price, I am having second thoughts because 1.) the j flight is a daytime flight 2.) I might want to upgrade the MIA-GIG leg to PE as it was only +$300 and 3.) I thought maybe I could swing an upgrade from economy to business on the MIA-GIG but now I am thinking that perhaps not.

Thanks for any input. I still have 23 hours to cancel
Upgrade space in advance is rare these days on AA, Most of the time, C won’t become available until close to departure. I’m not sure how easy it is to clear an upgrade on MIA-GIG in particular, but roughly speaking I think it’s generally a bit easier to upgrade on a 77W-operated flight than a 788/9-operated one. You can waitlist the upgrade, and when space opens up, the list will clear based on status and then EQD. Being booked in premium economy will not increase your chances, but it will mean a slightly more comfortable ride in case you don’t clear.

You can always upfare a ticket later by paying the difference in cost at that time; the change fee should be waived for upfares to a higher cabin of service.
dval44 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.