Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ilkhats44
Is C the Class of inventory that I need to look for when using mileages for an international upgrade?
For an upgrade to business class, yes, C is what you need.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:17 am

Tried upgrading my return leg from CDG to DFW. for an August trip. As expected there was no inventory for 3 people. My intent was to get on wait list. Was told because of my lack of status with AA I can only be wait-listed for 2 passengers. Has someone else heard of this limitation?
Old May 16, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by tramm7
Tried upgrading my return leg from CDG to DFW. for an August trip. As expected there was no inventory for 3 people. My intent was to get on wait list. Was told because of my lack of status with AA I can only be wait-listed for 2 passengers. Has someone else heard of this limitation?
You can only waitlist yourself and one companion WITH your status. E.g. I am EXP, so only myself and 1 person can be waitlisted with my EXP status on the list. The other person will be waitlisted with their own status.

So, the agent is technically right, though I don't think they communicated it well to you. You can spin the 3rd person off the record locator so they can be added to the waitlist apart from you and 1 companion. OR... just set an Expert Flyer alert for the C space needed to upgrade, then try to upgrade all 3 of you when it opens up without splitting the record.

With 2x CDG-DFW this summer, I think it's pretty possible you'll see C space open before the flight departs.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there any plane types used domestically these days which have an above-average number of seats up front to upgrade to?

It used to be easier when they flew 763s on some domestic routes, because of the large business class section (because of no premium economy or true first). Many of the newer international planes that make some domestic runs (like 78x's) have less business class than the 763 did, because they now also have premium economy (which gets sold as regular MCE economy on domestic runs so far).
Old May 17, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
You can only waitlist yourself and one companion WITH your status. E.g. I am EXP, so only myself and 1 person can be waitlisted with my EXP status on the list. The other person will be waitlisted with their own status.

So, the agent is technically right, though I don't think they communicated it well to you. You can spin the 3rd person off the record locator so they can be added to the waitlist apart from you and 1 companion. OR... just set an Expert Flyer alert for the C space needed to upgrade, then try to upgrade all 3 of you when it opens up without splitting the record.

With 2x CDG-DFW this summer, I think it's pretty possible you'll see C space open before the flight departs.
Thank you. That is helpful and makes sense.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are there any plane types used domestically these days which have an above-average number of seats up front to upgrade to?

It used to be easier when they flew 763s on some domestic routes, because of the large business class section (because of no premium economy or true first). Many of the newer international planes that make some domestic runs (like 78x's) have less business class than the 763 did, because they now also have premium economy (which gets sold as regular MCE economy on domestic runs so far).
There ARE still quite a few 763 domestic routes. JFK-MIA, DFW-PHL, DFW-JFK, etc. I know there are more, but I'm not up to speed on them.

Also, there are quite a few other widebody routes, too: 77W and 772, and some A330 routes PHL-PHX, SFO, CLT-MIA, MCO, etc. Again, there's a thread on this, I think?

Widebodies with a much higher amount of J seats running domestic routings now are the A333 (28J), 763 (28J), 789 (28J), 772 (37J), and 77W (52J).

So it's only the 788 and A332 that have "just" 20J seats.
sdsearch likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:25 pm

Advice needed, please

Any advice on the following, would be much appreciated. I’m wondering how to best word the following request to an A.A. agent. I’m flying MIA-PHL-AMS Sunday. I had been waitlisted for miles and copay upgrade. My PHL to Amsterdam leg cleared but my domestic leg has not. I checked expert flyer and there is no C availability for that flight. There are about 15 seats left on first class but it seems like a popular flight and I’m doubtful I’ll clear prior to my flight. I’ll probably be stuck at gate waiting to be upgraded and I’m sure, like most domestic popular routes, I’ll be outranked even if I’m Gold status (it’s happened to me all year long). I checked on other flights on expert flyer and I found another flight that does have C availability that would work. How likely do you think A.A. would switch me to that flight as a courtesy so that I can clear my upgrade for the domestic leg, if I make that request? How should I word this request in the best posible way to an agent? I’ve thought of approaching it as wanting to have a longer layover to guarantee my connection (4 vs 2 hours). Do you think this would be my best approach? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!
Old May 21, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by Piglet_23
Any advice on the following, would be much appreciated. I’m wondering how to best word the following request to an A.A. agent. I’m flying MIA-PHL-AMS Sunday. I had been waitlisted for miles and copay upgrade. My PHL to Amsterdam leg cleared but my domestic leg has not. I checked expert flyer and there is no C availability for that flight. There are about 15 seats left on first class but it seems like a popular flight and I’m doubtful I’ll clear prior to my flight. I’ll probably be stuck at gate waiting to be upgraded and I’m sure, like most domestic popular routes, I’ll be outranked even if I’m Gold status (it’s happened to me all year long). I checked on other flights on expert flyer and I found another flight that does have C availability that would work. How likely do you think A.A. would switch me to that flight as a courtesy so that I can clear my upgrade for the domestic leg, if I make that request? How should I word this request in the best posible way to an agent? I’ve thought of approaching it as wanting to have a longer layover to guarantee my connection (4 vs 2 hours). Do you think this would be my best approach? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!
For flights that are under 3 hours, I am fine in coach MCE, but that's just me. It is not worth an additional 2 hours in PHL unless the aircraft has a superior first class product. Just my 2 cents.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
How likely do you think A.A. would switch me to that flight as a courtesy so that I can clear my upgrade for the domestic leg, if I make that request? How should I word this request in the best posible way to an agent? I’ve thought of approaching it as wanting to have a longer layover to guarantee my connection (4 vs 2 hours). Do you think this would be my best approach? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!
Very unlikely without charging you a change fee - if this is your outbound flight then that could be very expensive since the trip would be repriced at today's fares. But if this is your return flight then it will most likely be calculated from the fares as they were on the day you purchased the ticket - this means that if the same fare class is available on your preferred flight then it might just cost you the change fee (probably $300 or so), but it could still cost more if the fare class isn't available.

I doubt an upgrade from MIA-PHL can really be worth $300+.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
With 15 open seats up front I'd say it's highly likely that AA will open up C space sometime this week before your flight.

While normally this might be a popular flight, you are traveling on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, which will have basically zero normal paid business travel (and hence the very high number of business seats remaining). Holiday weeks and weekends are typically goldmines for upgrade space.

Just keep an eye on EF and call AA whenever C space opens up.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
As an update to the upgrade success thread where it looks like I may have missed a last minute miles+copay upgrade from LAX to HKG at the weekend where it appears that there was no credit card info on file for some reason (I have asked AA to look into this matter for me), I have another miles+copay request for my trip to LHR next month. I know that the credit card expiration is tomorrow, so I called in yesterday to update the request with the new expiration date as I activated the new card. The agent said that they could see the credit card info, but if they were to change it, my request date would change and I would lose my place in the queue! Time of request hasn’t mattered for over a year now. I was going to HUCA when I saw the weather in DFW, so figured that I would call in later as other travelers need some of that “going for great” service due to irrops, so I just did the HU for now.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:06 pm

I want to upgrade an economy flight on AA from LHR - LAX. I haven't attempted this before and have a few questions about the process.
1) Is the only way to determine award upgrade availability to call in, after booking my revenue economy flight?
2) Is this route generally easy or difficult for someone with no status on AA to get an upgrade?

Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by pennystinkard
I want to upgrade an economy flight on AA from LHR - LAX. I haven't attempted this before and have a few questions about the process.
1) Is the only way to determine award upgrade availability to call in, after booking my revenue economy flight?
2) Is this route generally easy or difficult for someone with no status on AA to get an upgrade?

Thanks!
I suggest you check out Expert Flyer. You can see exactly what upgrade buckets are available before you do anything else.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pennystinkard

Thanks!
If an upgrade is available and you want to be sure of it then you might want to call in to buy the ticket and get the upgrade in one go even though you will have to pay the fee. Otherwise it is a matter of waiting and hoping that you can pounce faster than others if an upgrade opens up.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
Upgrade after sell-up - wrong mileage charged?

I sold up/upfared from coach to premium economy on an international flight (US to Europe). At the time, the agent who processed the sell-up told me that to upgrade to business from PE would only be 15,000 miles rather than 25,000, and there would be no copay. This is also what the website reflects. I got on the upgrade list, was not charged a copay, and was eventually upgraded on both legs of the outbound (a few minutes after boarding for Rome my BP changed from PE to Biz). However, after the outbound flights last week, I was charged 40,000 miles, then refunded 15,000, for a net charge of 25,000 miles. On both the outbound and return, the domestic leg is in Y, the international (PE) in W. It seems like this should have been a 15,000 mile charge, not 25,000.

I would very much like to complain about this but don't want to spend a lot of vacation time arguing with AA unless I have do. Do I have a legitimate beef or did I misread something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.