Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Anybody know what fare class is used for upgrade inventory to Premium Economy?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Does anyone know if AA charges the close in redemption fee for upgrades cleared less than 21 days before departure? Literally asking for a friend because I have status so I’ve never been charged the fee.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by donotblink
Does anyone know if AA charges the close in redemption fee for upgrades cleared less than 21 days before departure? Literally asking for a friend because I have status so I’ve never been charged the fee.
No, as long as the upgrade is requested outside of 21 days then the expedite fee isn't charged. Otherwise that would be an incredibly sneaky way for AA to collect an extra $75 on basically all miles/copay upgrades for non-elites, since we all know how rare it is to find upgrade space in advance.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I have a Business/Club World ticket bought through AA on BA metal in I class. I am AA gold and want to use miles to upgrade to First. ON Ef, it shows A 7 available when i specify AA but when I specify BA it shows Z0.
Can anyone tell me which airline I should specify in EF and if this will work?

I’m going to call AA to check but thought they would still be busy with the Max 8 stuff.
Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by IzzyL
I have a Business/Club World ticket bought through AA on BA metal in I class. I am AA gold and want to use miles to upgrade to First. ON Ef, it shows A 7 available when i specify AA but when I specify BA it shows Z0.
Can anyone tell me which airline I should specify in EF and if this will work?

I’m going to call AA to check but thought they would still be busy with the Max 8 stuff.
Thanks!
I don't believe I fare is eligible for upgrade in this case, unless it's on AA metal.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Just requested my first miles + copay upgrade for my outbound flight, ORD->LAX->SYD, in late April. I am PPro, with a decent rolling EQD, and my purchased itinerary is in premium economy, with the domestic leg in Y, and the international leg in P.

I undertstand from what I’ve read that there is a low chance of the LAX->SYD upgrade clearing, but I figured I would try anyway.

My question is more about the domestic leg. ORD->LAX is still a decent ride, and I’d like to be up front if I can. When I requested the upgraded, the agent said he would remove the complimentary upgrade request. He said this would prevent an error later. So, I understand that the upgrade instrument will put me higher on the list, but... if the international leg does not clear, does that mean I am automatically excluded from the domestic upgrade?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I don't believe I fare is eligible for upgrade in this case, unless it's on AA metal.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp

I wasn’t sure when I saw my fare class in the wiki at the top of the thread.
4. Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)

Guess, I can always call to ask, just wanted to do some homework.
Thanks.

Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Just requested my first miles + copay upgrade for my outbound flight, ORD->LAX->SYD, in late April. I am PPro, with a decent rolling EQD, and my purchased itinerary is in premium economy, with the domestic leg in Y, and the international leg in P.

I undertstand from what I’ve read that there is a low chance of the LAX->SYD upgrade clearing, but I figured I would try anyway.

My question is more about the domestic leg. ORD->LAX is still a decent ride, and I’d like to be up front if I can. When I requested the upgraded, the agent said he would remove the complimentary upgrade request. He said this would prevent an error later. So, I understand that the upgrade instrument will put me higher on the list, but... if the international leg does not clear, does that mean I am automatically excluded from the domestic upgrade?
I am no expert but I think your domestic can clear and your other may not. Did you do 2 different miles/cash upgrades or one? If I understand correctly you could be charged the big bucks for ORD-LAX.

Not it worth it.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver

Thanks.
Calling won't help.

The list in the wiki is upgradeable fare classes for AA flights (marketed and operated). For BA flights C, J, D and R are the only upgradeable business class fares.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by shaddie

I am no expert but I think your domestic can clear and your other may not. Did you do 2 different miles/cash upgrades or one? If I understand correctly you could be charged the big bucks for ORD-LAX.

Not it worth it.
One upgrade for the full route.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:33 pm

Upgrading with miles

Ok, I’m asking for my parents. They have 280,000 AA advantage points. They want to visit Germany next year in April. Can they buy economy tickets and upgrade to Business? I don’t think they have enough to upgrade to first. They would probably fly out of SFO or LAX.
Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Beachfun71

One upgrade for the full route.
Call back and only do the long segment unless $350 + 25k miles is good for ORD-LAX.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott

Thanks.

The wiki should have read as on American Airline (Metal/Operated by AA); also the wiki pointed out:

"See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA."

The link from above post provides AA's policy on upgrading on BA and IB metal.
IzzyL likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Take a peek here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
1. Odds of clearing the upgrade waitlist are low and unpredictable, only rarely are mileage upgrades confirmable at booking anymore, search ExpertFlyer for C availability to check

2. AA doesn't offer first to Europe except to London

3. Better bet may be redeeming for award tickets rather than attempting to upgrade (but search availability to see)... even if there isn't saver availability on AA (there is nearly zero), you may find it on Iberia or Finnair... and 280k is more than enough for two saver roundtrips in business.
enpremiere likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.