Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: LH HON
Can a miles+copay upgrade (that has not been flown yet) be refunded, when the original flight has been changed significantly? I have been bumped from AA 661 dep 9:02pm (PHL-LAS) to 589 dep 6:10 pm as the original flight is no longer scheduled on 9/12. Alternative flights the next days are currently C0 and AA has shown zero interest of moving me to the next day (probably due to fare difference), claiming miles+copay are non refundable?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
So, in other words, if C space does not open up on the domestic segment before you go to the airport, there is no way you can get the agents at the airport or Club to waitlist you on the upgrade list as if you were using an SWU?

I know that when I've used an SWU, an AAngel in the club can change the upgrade priority when I've been incorrectly listed as a sticker upgrade, but I have not been able to get an AAngel to do the same when using miles + copay.
No, as you mentioned a good AC or other airport agent will have no trouble switching you from a sticker to SWU or miles/co-pay upgrade at the airport, assuming space hasn't opened up and were only talking about the waitlist.

But in the above poster's situation, the sticker upgrade was already confirmed on the domestic segment. In this scenario I would certainly call AA beforehand to have the confirmed sticker upgrade removed and waitlist changed to the existing miles/co-pay upgrade, especially at an Int'l outstation like HKG with contract staff. YMMV, but based on my experience I wouldn't expect the contract staff to be able to properly handle a more advanced domestic upgrade issue, at least not in a timely manner.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Nobody (Emirates Etihad Thai Air Hong Kong Air Scoot Nobody) HHonors Diamond
Just FYI even as a low (no status) I was able to get my P fare in PE economy upgraded to J at T-24 this morning. I was confused because around a week ago my upgrade for the return leg had already been cleared and I had chosen my new seat but never saw an upgrade charge or miles getting deducted. After a couple of calls to AA this morning (after EF sent me the alert that C inventory was available) I was able to get the agent to push through the upgrade and at that time they charged me the full $700 ($350 each leg) and the 50,000 miles (25,000 miles each leg) When I originally requested the upgrade, the agent had told me $0 dollars and 15,000 miles each way but was prepared for the actual cost from the information in this forum. Only the W fare in PE qualifies for the 0/15,000 mile upgrade cost.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:19 pm

When does AA charge after upgrade clears?

Hi all,

I was booked in PE on a long haul flight in a few months, and requested a miles + cash upgrade which was not available. Today I logged in and saw that I was now booked in J, and had no seats assigned at all, and I was no longer assigned to PE. I was able to assign seats in J.

I checked my account and there has been no deduction of points, nor has there been a credit card charge. I also received no notification. My traveling companion likewise has not had miles debited. This reservation is however listed as "ticketed."

Can someone tell me when/how/if AA gets around to charging? This is an international flight and it is several months away.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by o2bmmw
Hi all,

I was booked in PE on a long haul flight in a few months, and requested a miles + cash upgrade which was not available. Today I logged in and saw that I was now booked in J, and had no seats assigned at all, and I was no longer assigned to PE. I was able to assign seats in J.

I checked my account and there has been no deduction of points, nor has there been a credit card charge. I also received no notification. My traveling companion likewise has not had miles debited. This reservation is however listed as "ticketed."

Can someone tell me when/how/if AA gets around to charging? This is an international flight and it is several months away.
I have experienced immediately, at departure, and never. It depends on your luck.
dciolli likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I have experienced immediately, at departure, and never. It depends on your luck.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by o2bmmw
Hi all,

Charge and Deduction happen on the day of departure, I find it odd that the system did not place you in a seat I've never had that problem before. I would call AA and see if you can choose your seats
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Charge and Deduction happen on the day of departure, I find it odd that the system did not place you in a seat I've never had that problem before. I would call AA and see if you can choose your seats
I've done the copay upgrade for the same route a few times and it has never been consistent including seat assignment. The last few times required me calling in and having the CSR assign me a seat.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I booked one of the few remaining legacy J bucket fares last year CAI-LHR-LAX-MEX for my family of 5 and then used 25k miles each to move all of us into F for LHR-LAX. This was about 9 months ago and at the time it made sense to use miles, each of my family members had spare miles and I figured we would use my SWUs for something else.

Fast forward and now i have 8 SWUs and its unlikely I’ll use the 4 expiring ones before Jan 31. But combined with the decent haul they will make on these flights, this 25k miles back would give my family members sufficient files for J or F redemptions to Europe next summer. But since I pulled each of their miles from their own non status accounts, would we have to pay fees for them if i swapped in my sWUs and had AA put their miles back?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The mileage redeposit fees will apply to each account to which miles are depositied which are not held by those with EP status

It will cost from $150 per non EP account

Is there A availability on the flight? If not, cancelling an award may mean that the passenger may have to travel in business class - cancelling the upgrade does not imply that availability will return to allow the upgrade to be performed with a Systemwide upgrade certificate
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The mileage redeposit fees will apply to each account to which miles are depositied which are not held by those with EP status

It will cost from $150 per non EP account

Is there A availability on the flight? If not, cancelling an award may mean that the passenger may have to travel in business class - cancelling the upgrade does not imply that availability will return to allow the upgrade to be performed with a Systemwide upgrade certificate
I thought I had read that one could swap between instruments once upgrade was confirmed. BTW, no need to raise the drama of a passenger having to travel in business class, if I can find a 2006 filed full flex business fare in 2017 you can be pretty sure that I understand quite well how fare buckets work. I wouldn't be cancelling anything and hoping for anything to return to the A bucket. Maybe I am thinking of another carrier in terms of the ability to simply swap, I've used various upgrade instruments with a number of airlines over the last couple of decades and cannot recall which one had allowed this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I am booked on a flight tomorrow night that has 7 F seats available, almost 24 hours before check in, so I assume it is a pretty elite light flight, also considering MCE is 85% empty. I do not want to use my 500 Mile stickers, since it would take 4 to upgrade and buying them outright would cost as much as upfaring. I know AA sells F T-24 to non-elites, is there any way to buy up as an elite with the same cost? Pretty annoying we have to use stickers, when upgrade costs are cheaper in cash for non-elites.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
I am booked on a flight tomorrow night that has 7 F seats available, almost 24 hours before check in, so I assume it is a pretty elite light flight, also considering MCE is 85% empty. I do not want to use my 500 Mile stickers, since it would take 4 to upgrade and buying them outright would cost as much as upfaring. I know AA sells F T-24 to non-elites, is there any way to buy up as an elite with the same cost? Pretty annoying we have to use stickers, when upgrade costs are cheaper in cash for non-elites.
I think you posted this is the wrong thread, this thread is all about Miles and Co-pay upgrades. But you might want to take your AA FF # out of your res before check-in, this might allow you to do a purchase upgrade at check-in, but I don't know how well this works.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Is it true that they can’t process miles/copay easily, once you board? I asked both gate agents if they would come and get me. They both said yes. I saw them coming for others, checked the app, and saw they cleared someone two spots below me. Gate agent came onboard so I asked. She said I had to wait outside, even though she told me otherwise, because of the copay processing.

It was still t-7 so I said let me pay. She said not enough time but I said passing me over was not acceptable (more than once, and someone a little more senior came on board and I continued with him). They weren’t charging the person below the list, and I’m also entitled to free upgrades.

I got the upgrade but the argument was unpleasant.

so is it true that even if folks are willing to come get 500 Mile upgraders, they can’t process a miles/copay on board?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
What happens if you are short the required miles in your account when your upgrade clears? I have heard both that you receive an e-mail prompting you to call and reconcile the miles, and that the system skips over you in line. Which of these statements is correct?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.